PDA

View Full Version : Field Trip To Washington D.C-- What To Expect From there

N790SW
2007-04-09, 10:26 PM
Hey Guys:

This Friday, my JROTC class is going on a field trip to Washington D.C and we are expected to see a few places including The Smithstonian Aviation Museum. I am sure many of you have been to the nations capital before so it would be great to hear some of your past experieneces. My class and I are also taking a rather fun 7 hour bus ride there too lol- whish me luck =P.

moose135
2007-04-09, 10:33 PM
I was last in DC about a year and a half ago. There's a ton of neat stuff to see, it's really an impressive city. The Air & Space Museum has some of the most incredible aviation displays you will see anywhere. How long will you be in DC? There is enough to keep you busy for days. If you have the opportunity, don't miss a chance to see the Mall at night, with all the monuments illuminated - it's breathtaking!

Here is a link to some of my photos from DC:
http://moose135.smugmug.com/gallery/1736802

Here are photos from both Air & Space Museum facilities:
http://moose135.smugmug.com/gallery/1736813

SengaB
2007-04-10, 01:15 AM
My Home Town :)
I was born Washington.
Lived in Northern, VA (technically I still do)

Senga

N790SW
2007-04-10, 05:31 PM
Those shots are great too moose!

N790SW
2007-04-10, 09:47 PM
Soo what are the odds of seeing Air Force One active this weekend?

hiss srq
2007-04-11, 01:45 AM
Good defense Bobby!

Mellyrose
2007-04-11, 09:08 AM
How did I take it off topic? I didn't chime in until WAY after the thread way doomed, and that was only to point that very fact out! :-P

N790SW
2007-04-11, 02:36 PM
According to the list of things we are going to see is this:

- Arlington Cemetary

- Dulles Udvar Hazy Center

- Tour Washington - ( with out a guide)

- World War II memorial

- Smithsonian Museums

Mellyrose
2007-04-11, 02:55 PM
- Arlington Cemetary

- Dulles Udvar Hazy Center

- Tour Washington - ( with out a guide)

- World War II memorial

- Smithsonian Museums

DC is a great city. You're hitting all of the right spots if you haven't ever been (or even if you have). Besides the places you mentioned (and by the way, you're gonna FREAK in the Udvar Hazy Center - though not so lucky for you, there's no Southwest in there) you should check out the Lincoln Memorial and the Vietnam Vet Memorial Wall (they're within walking proximity of each other). Obviously you'll be able to see the Washington Monument from there as well. One other thing along that mall, near the Lincoln, Vietnam and Washington Memorials, is the Korean War Memorial, which is also quite something.

The Iwo Jima Memorial is fantastic as well, but it's in Arlington and you probably won't be able to see it this time around if it's not on your list.

(Phil...let's go back.)

N790SW
2007-04-11, 04:17 PM
Thanks mel!

Does anyone know what a/c types are at the Udvar Hazy Center?

moose135
2007-04-11, 05:02 PM
Does anyone know what a/c types are at the Udvar Hazy Center?

You name it...just off the top of my head from when I was there:

SR-71
Air France Concorde
Space Shuttle Enterprise
A ton of various space craft and satellites
Boeing 367 (707 prototype)
MiG-21
F-4
Ju-52

Various WW2 aircraft including:
F4U Corsair
P-40
B-29 Enola Gay
Dornier Do335 (push-pull twin-engine German fighter)

N790SW
2007-04-11, 05:04 PM
Is there any planes you can actually go in?- and I believe they have a lear jet there right?

Mellyrose
2007-04-11, 05:34 PM
I replied to the thread with my opinions and thoughts which happened to be filled with facts and places....and you replied to my reply with questions about something that can be found here:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/onview_uhc.cfm

See...even there I helped you. Now do some Googling!!!!

N790SW
2007-04-11, 05:46 PM
Did you completely ignore my reply HELPING you? No WONDER you ask the same questions over and over again!!!!

Well Mel from what you put - my questions were asking if theres any planes to GO INSIDE OF !!!!!! you never mentioned anything about that in your reply before- you did however mention about no Southwest planes.

Administrator
2007-04-11, 06:46 PM
Several posts in this thread were either deleted or edited ot remove off-topic remarks and comments.

As a general note, if someone does not like another person ont he boards, all that person has to do is ignore their threads and posts. If you do that, the person will eventually either stop posting or shape up.

Please do not create conflict or engage to create one.