PDA

View Full Version : Airline You Wish to Come To ISP

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-04-04, 01:23 PM
Okay, for those of you ISP fans, this topic is for you. What Airline would you like to see launch service to ISP if you could pick one.
I would pick AirTran. Although SWA has a monopoly over the airport, people at ISP are continuing to try to get airlines like FL and even B6 (now that I think is impossible) to come to ISP. I think that FL would work better because SWA would take B6 to the ground with their Florida flights. AirTran could fly to Atlanta and compete with Delta Connection and do just fine, maybe even win some DL pax over. It would definitely lower fares there.

Art at ISP
2007-04-04, 02:14 PM
OK, since you asked

I'd like to see CO with the Q400 to EWR again-they did this before, and I think it worked.

I'd like to see a jet to BOS not a 1900--DL is bringing 1900 ISP BOS in July.

I'd like to see US go anywhere but PHL from ISP--don't think they're pulling out any time soon.

I'd consider Airtran, but would love to see Midwest, although its not likely.

CO to EWR is the head of the list...or even to CLE--the Q could make money on that route.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-04-04, 03:03 PM
I remember CO used to do ISP-CLE.

Way at AirTran's beginning, they flew to ISP, it would be nice to see them there again. Easy travel for my family. ISP is a cool airport.

N790SW
2007-04-05, 11:53 PM
I'd love to see WN at ISP... since I have to choose over WN in this case, Id love to see UA Express with the E-190 @ ISP, would sure be a great plane to see ( because as far as I remember US days with DC-9s @ ISP were a nightmare!!!

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-04-06, 01:12 PM
I think that the only LCC that would be able to enter the ISP market without being crushed by SWA would be AirTran. JetBlue would automatically fly to the Florida destinations already served by SWA, and AirTran would be able to fly to Atlanta, which SWA would not touch in millions of years. Although AirTran may opt to fly to Florida as well, their flying to Atlanta would keep them afloat. Also their XM Radio may do the trick as well.

hiss srq
2007-04-06, 02:00 PM
I think AirTran to ATL, CAK, SRQ, some MCO competition and maybe even a little bit of Chicago service just to add some first class to the city pair would work nice.

Now if you are asking what I dream of well that would be USAirways 737's to PIT, TPA, and CLT since my beloved DC-9 is gone.

tsnamm
2007-04-06, 02:30 PM
I'd like to see CO come back with ISP/CLE or even ISP/IAH...they run the ERJ IAH to MSP so I don't think the distance is too much...don't think it would be all that comfortable though...ISP/EWR seems like a waste of an airplane...you can just drive or take the train to EWR from LI if you need to go there...besides you're going to have to connect to some other flight...not a single passenger is going to fly to EWR as their final destination...I agree about FL vs B6...JetBlue would only offer Florida which is already well covered by WN...I think this is why they picked SWF instead...maybe they could offer ISP/BOS or ISP/IAD w/E190's...

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-04-08, 11:09 AM
I agree. FL would be a better fit.

Art at ISP
2007-04-08, 01:03 PM
Actually it's not a waste of an airplane--the revenue generated could be tremendous--as people from LI would fly rather than drive 65 miles through all kinds of traffic--and you can get anywhere in the world from EWR.

It worked before--and still works SNA-LAX--that is a tremendous success for UA.

We drove to EWR for our trip to MCO this week--F on CO was cheaper than most others in coach from local airports. The big brown turd was never an option for me (sorry to those WN loyalists).

Anyway, I am done with theme parks -- for at least another ten years.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-04-08, 02:47 PM
How was DL from ISP-ATL-MCO and back?

Deltafan2006
2007-04-09, 10:37 AM
delta coming back to ISP to florida using 737 fleets

Maybe Jetblue to florida but SWA is there.....and there going to alot of trouble

T-Bird76
2007-04-09, 10:52 AM
The fact of the matter is no airline will be coming back to ISP unless they get subsidized by the small community air service grant. No way will you see B6 at ISP, B6 clearly avoids going head to head with WN. WN owns ISP plain and simple.

Art at ISP
2007-04-09, 12:03 PM
That is why it is crucial for another airline to come in to ISP..

Can anyone say Monopoly?

It will happen eventually, Tom.....

T-Bird76
2007-04-09, 01:27 PM
That is why it is crucial for another airline to come in to ISP..

Can anyone say Monopoly?

It will happen eventually, Tom.....

Art in no way is WN a Monopoly at ISP, that's like saying AA is a monopoly at DFW, NW at DTW, CO at EWR, certain cities have a larger carrier prence by one carrier then others. WN invested the money, service and the people responded by filling their planes. The problem is the airlines don't want to invest in ISP, not one airline since WN has put any money into having the proper facilities to support continued pressence and growth like WN has.

hiss srq
2007-04-09, 02:29 PM
Not to stoke the anti WN fire vs Tom :wink: fire but I think that is more a result of the fact that at the time it was the only fish hook WN could slip their bait on in the area. I will admit they and FL have some balls going against carriers like US in the northeast in certain cities. I knock WN quite a bit but they are doing good for a reason. I am a Legacey carrier kind of guy and that is why. As far as airlines not wanting to pump cash into the airport. I do not see a reason why they should have to. If the community wants air service outside of LGA/JFK than make it known. The larger part of the premium market exists from Nassau County westward which is another reason why majors put little effort into ISP. The markets they are really looking for do not exist in large droves. There are some out east but not enough I guess.

Another example is my beloved SRQ. That airport will always be the overflow of the Southwest coast of Florida because of similar reasons and population sizes. Legacey carriers do not do well in markets like that because they cannot afford to charge the cheap fares you need to draw the crowds. WN can do this. Delta could not that is why you see a few RJ's and in the day 737-200's for their Express was it called?

Back on topic.... I would not mind seeing Delta 737-800's at ISP or MD-88's

T-Bird76
2007-04-09, 02:45 PM
Not to stoke the anti WN fire vs Tom :wink: fire but I think that is more a result of the fact that at the time it was the only fish hook WN could slip their bait on in the area. I will admit they and FL have some balls going agains carriers like US in the northeast in certain cites.

Ryan at the time WN was still following thier model of serving secondary city airports and not airports like JFK and LGA. As for going up against carriers like US, WN forced US from BWI, is larger then US in LAS and most other cities in the west. WN has a war chest that could destroy US and many other airlines. The latest coming from the Dallas is JFK may be coming online.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-04-11, 02:43 PM
I will have to strongly disagree when someone says that WN does not have a monopoly at ISP. Atleast 90 (guess) percent of the passenger's passing through MacArthur Airport are traveling on Southwest. They operate the most flights, serve the most destinations, and as I just said, attract the most passengers. Therefore, Southwest Airlines has a very strong monopoly in Islip. I have read that the administration at MacArthur Airport is trying to lure airlines like FL and B6, which is why I started this topic. An airline like FL is necessary to keep a balance of power at ISP, or else the whole airport could collapse with an unexpected (and unlikely) pullout of Southwest Airlines.

T-Bird76
2007-04-11, 03:02 PM
I will have to strongly disagree when someone says that WN does not have a monopoly at ISP. Atleast 90 (guess) percent of the passenger's passing through MacArthur Airport are traveling on Southwest. They operate the most flights, serve the most destinations, and as I just said, attract the most passengers. Therefore, Southwest Airlines has a very strong monopoly in Islip. I have read that the administration at MacArthur Airport is trying to lure airlines like FL and B6, which is why I started this topic. An airline like FL is necessary to keep a balance of power at ISP, or else the whole airport could collapse with an unexpected (and unlikely) pullout of Southwest Airlines.

Under no circumstances is WN a Monopoly....any airline is more then free to start up at ISP. The fact is other airlines know they can't compete with WN. B6 would have to setup a decent route network out of ISP since its main hub is only 40 miles.

I don't think the O&D traffic B6 could generate would be able to stand up to the pounding WN would give them. Perhaps AirTran could do some ATL flights but otherwise ISP isn't going to see any major expansion other then WN. I see nothing wrong with WN's large scale operation at ISP, ISP hasn't had this much service and options in years. Oh WN won't be going anywhere anytime soon. They have 25 year lease and over 100 million invested in ISP.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-04-11, 03:06 PM
I think that FL could do more than ATL. They may tap into Florida, CAK, PHF??
Even if FL went into the ISP-MDW market, they could do well, depending on how people prefer to travel and on what kind of ammenities they expect out of an airline.

MORS-AB-ALTO
2007-04-13, 02:17 PM
I definitely think Soutwest has a monopoly out at Islip and they are in need of some competition. But I believe that the big airlines like Delta & American etc are partially to blame because they never took the effort to invest in that location like Southwest did. We blamed the big guys for not servicing Long Island then point the finger at Southwest for having a monopoly and pushing them out.

Personally I can't stand Southwest and refuse to fly them after one experience. The flights and aircraft were OK on the way to Mardi Gras with lots of beed throwing. However, the whole herd mentality and basically a lottery system for seating had me so ticked off I swore never again. Not to mention they discriminate if you are a "Customer of Size".

I've flown dozens of times out of Islip with countless trips to Florida on American and Spirit. I always liked flying the Delta Regional Jets out of Islip and would rate them as my favorite airline pout of McCarthur. They are still quite competitive with Southwest when it comes to airfare, usually within 20 bucks more or less. I would like to see Airtran or Jet Blue start to work their way in as I they are probably the only ones that could compete with Southwest's business model.