PDA

View Full Version : FreshDirect: Opinions?

Mellyrose
2007-04-04, 11:37 AM
Has anyone here ever used FreshDirect? Share your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-04-04, 12:49 PM
We've used them since they pretty much first came on line, and in general it's been a great experience. Our neighborhood was one of the first they started serving, seems like over 5 years ago!

In general, this is what I have noticed. Most of what you get is great, and the same stuff you'd get at the store. They are a lot cheaper in most areas, especially with meats and the like. Produce, more specifically fruit, is the only thing you may want to still purchase at the market, or from a street vendor. Sometimes some of the fruits they've sent were bruised or not ripe/too ripe. It's somewhat understandable, since fruit can bruise easily and is not very predictable.

Other than that, it's a great program. You shop online whenever you want, you pick your delivery time (it's in blocks of 3 hours I believe), and they deliver it right to your doorstep, and you don't have to tip the guys either.

Mellyrose
2007-04-04, 01:36 PM
I started this thread, because we too, LOVED FreshDirect when we started with them. Recently though, everything has been going downhill. After the first couple times things went wrong, we gave them the benefit of the doubt, but now it's just gotten disgraceful.

Also, regarding prices....I found that most things are about "retail" price. What you'd see in average supermarkets while not on sale. Other things were about 30-50 cents more expensive (grocery items), and meats and fishes were definitely several $'s more per lb, but it was worth it because of the quality and convenience that was once delivered. I also agree about most produce being a better deal from a street vendor, etc....though not because of quality, because of prices.

The service and quality of food started out fantastic. It almost seems as though our orders were tagged "NEW CUSTOMERS" so that everything would be perfect in order for us to be impressed with the company. Well, we were satisfied for a bit, but it seemed that with each subsequent delivery, service, punctuality and quality of product diminished.

The first several orders showed up in the beginning of the chosen time bracket. Then after about 4-5 orders, the deliveries began showing up within the last SECONDS of the requested slots and sometimes even blatantly late (One particular order arrived at 10:45pm after I asked for 8-10pm).

I was just curious to know if anyone else has had negative experiences. I've seen a couple blogs about how FreshDirect sucks, but overall they seem to be doing well. I guess their business is thriving on the laziness of NYers.

Matt Molnar
2007-04-04, 01:36 PM
Also, regarding prices....I found that most things are about "retail" price. What you'd see in average supermarkets while not on sale. Other things were about 30-50 cents more expensive (grocery items), and meats and fishes were definitely several $'s more per lb, but it was worth it because of the quality and convenience that was once delivered. I also agree about most produce being a better deal from a street vendor, etc....though not because of quality, because of prices.

I think they're about the same as Manhattan prices since that is their main market. Manhattan supermarkets are substantially more expensive than Queens.

Mellyrose
2007-04-04, 01:38 PM
Well I was comparing to street vendors and produce markets, not supermarkets....and those markets are primarily in Queens. I actually hear of many people who go to Astoria just for their fish and veggies.

cancidas
2007-04-04, 01:48 PM
we used them back when my wife was pregnant. the service was good and the food was good but we just thought it was too expensive. the supermarket is only 2 blocks away so i ended up doing the shopping.

PhilDernerJr
2007-04-04, 02:46 PM
food deliveries should not be like waiting for the cable guy...it completely takes away the convenience. When these guys show up at the end of their 2 hour window, I could have gone to the supermarket myself, brought my stuff home, saved the $5 delivery fee, swept the floors, played some video games, shaved my back and sitll have time to cook dinner.