PDA

View Full Version : FCC Bans Cell Phones on Planes

Matt Molnar
2007-04-03, 04:56 PM
FCC Says 'No' to Cell Phones on Planes (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8O9BCJ80&show_article=1)
Apr 3 04:16 PM US/Eastern

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Federal Communications Commission has officially grounded the idea of allowing airline passengers to use cellular telephones while in flight.

Existing rules require cellular phones to be turned off once an aircraft leaves the ground in order to avoid interfering with cellular network systems on the ground. The agency began examining the issue in December 2004.

Federal Aviation Administration regulations also restrict the use of cellular phones and other portable electronic devices onboard aircraft to ensure against interference with the aircraft's navigation and communication systems.

In an order released Tuesday, the FCC noted that there was "insufficient technical information" available on whether airborne cell phone calls would jam networks on the ground.

RDU-JFK
2007-04-03, 05:20 PM
Good. It's annoying enough to hear people blabbing on the phone while the aircraft door is open.

madcatimages
2007-04-03, 07:21 PM
As long as I am allowed to listen to my ipod, I say go for it.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-04-04, 01:25 PM
I just want to be able to videotape landings and stuff.

NIKV69
2007-04-04, 01:49 PM
Finally someone making some sense. No reason to use your cell phone on a flight.

SengaB
2007-04-04, 02:45 PM
Glad to hear it. Nothing could be worse that sitting next to Buffy and hearing her talk about how her coolest best girlfriends got married and Bob talking about his hottest business deal.
This choice will keep many potential Cellphone fights nonexistant.

When it comes to cellone usage people lose common sense and common courtesy.
Senga

Matt Molnar
2007-04-04, 02:52 PM
I'd say there are lots of good reasons to use your phone during a flight, but preventing people from abusing it and annoying other passengers would be impossible.

madcatimages
2007-04-04, 03:12 PM
I just want to be able to videotape landings and stuff. Many airlines frown upon that, b/c you are supposed to have everything put away during landings and takeoffs. But I still manage to get a few nice shots in anyways :wink: