PDA

View Full Version : Wide Angle Photos in the City

Chris102
2007-04-02, 05:58 PM
I'm going to be in the city late this month, and I was wondering if someone could give some advice on which lens(es) I should take with me. I'm planning on taking shots of the buildings, and I might go to LGA to find Trump.

I know I won't need my telephoto lens in the city, but will the 18-55mm kit lens be wide enough?

I found this photo of Trump Tower on Flickr, and as a HUGE Trump fan, I want to try to get this same shot myself. Would you be able to tell how wide the lens used to take this photo was?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53074617@N00/416659938/

P.S. Does anyone know if the trees have bloomed yet on Trump Tower?

GrummanFan
2007-04-02, 06:11 PM
I'm also interested in hearing your opinions. I was thinking about taking a "photography trip" to the city either late this month or early in the summer, which would also coincide with a bit of an accessory spending spree at B&H. I've always just wanted to hang out in the city for a day or two taking pictures, seeing all the sights and doing all that tourist-y crap that I've never had the chance to do.

emshighway
2007-04-02, 07:35 PM
which would also coincide with a bit of an accessory spending spree at B&H.

Remember to go there on Sunday.

Matt Molnar
2007-04-02, 09:21 PM
That pic is pretty neat, Chris. I don't think the lens was any wider than 18-55.

Also, so you don't get lost/disappointed, be advised that the building is Trump Tower, NOT Trump World Tower which is a completely different building in a different neighborhood. The description with that photo is wrong. Trump Tower, the one you want to go to, is at 5th Ave and 56th Street. :)

Mellyrose
2007-04-02, 10:15 PM
Random Tip: Make sure to check B&H's holiday schedule ahead of time as well. For instance. The store is closed all week for Passover. It would suck for you to miss out.

hiss srq
2007-04-02, 10:29 PM
You will have problems getting MR. Trumps plane from anyplace really at LGA as it is parked normally at Sheltair next to the employee parking lot. Actually considering the lack of security at the gaurd post there is at LGA for the employee lot (scarey ) you might just luck out if you know where it is. Otherwise there is not much you can do to get a good shot of it where it is parked.

Chris102
2007-04-05, 11:14 AM
Also, so you don't get lost/disappointed, be advised that the building is Trump Tower, NOT Trump World Tower which is a completely different building in a different neighborhood. The description with that photo is wrong. Trump Tower, the one you want to go to, is at 5th Ave and 56th Street. :)

I thought that it was wrong - the Trump World Tower is near the UN, isn't it? Thanks also for the address - I hope I can find it :wink:

Regarding the Trump plane, does Sheltair, if asked, allow people to go out on their tarmac? On Airliners.net, there are a lot of photos of the Trump plane parked at Sheltair, so they must allow some people out to photograph it.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0659002/M/
(Maybe Mr. Peel would be kind enough to tell where this was taken from ;) )

I never knew Trump had a Convair 580 :arrow:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0191291/M/
Was this before he had VPBDJ?