PDA

View Full Version : Trial Spotter Program at JFK. It's about frigging time.

Idlewild
2007-04-01, 02:25 PM
Posted: Sunday, 1 April 2007 6:51PM

Airport Geeks: New York City's Answer to Terrorism?

WASHINGTON (AP) Earlier this week, in a town known for its red tape and inefficient wheel turning an agreement was made between New York State, New York City, The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey(PANYNJ), The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Delta Airlines, that might turn out to be the greatest safeguard of a New York Port since Fort Tilden was set up in Staten Island to defend the Hudson river and all residents north from the British first, and all other potential invaders afterwards. Under a thirteen month trial starting on June 1st of this year the roof top of the Delta Airlines' terminal will be opened 24/7, 365, to spotters.

Governors Corzine of New Jersey and Spitzer of New York along with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has worked out with Port Authority Chairman Anthony R. Coscia andd Federal Aviation Administrator Marion C. Blakey and Delta Air Lines CEO Gerald Grinstein, to snap pictures,a plan where the general public, more specifically "spotters" will be allowed access to the old Pan Am Worldport Rooftop, now run by Delta. Spotters are aviation enthusiasts who get together to take photographs, trade aviation related items and in general talk about the industry. They are also good watchdogs on monitoring suspicious activity and unlike most of the general population, they're not afraid to report to the authorities.

Governor Spitzer in his teen years would spot at the area's three major airports: "Spotters are very patriotic, they have families, they live in New York City and unlike Star War enthusiasts and Trekkies, they have social lives and girlfriends" Mayor Bloomberg agrees. The NYNJPA will also take bids on concession stands on the rooftop. Nick Gray of Gray's Papaya says he is interested as is Burger King and Hallo Berliner.

Officer Stanley Koswalski of the NYNJPAPD who regularly patrols JFK says "I think it's good for the airport(s). I'd rather spend my time looking for people smuggling drugs or doig other illegal activities rather than chasing some overweight geek with a camera off the airport grounds. They'll report anything out of ordinary to us and we'll investigate. I actually know a few spotters. They're good people." Phillip McKraken and Seymour Butts, both spotters and both from Brooklyn are elated that staring in June they and other spotters who love aviation will be able to practice their hobby without fear of police or El Al security interference.

Cars will not be allowed but bicycles will. Also, there will be a ten dollar all day fee to cover TSA costs and everyone will be subject to detailed searches and must show ID regardless of age and sex.

There are of course detractors. Senator. Hillary R. Clinton (D) of New York and Senator. Sam Brownback (R) of Kansas, politicians on opposite ends of the spectrum, released a joint statement:" Now is not the time to relax on airport security. Rather than spend money on opening freedom for spotters the monies spent should be applied to more worthy causes such as the elimination of violence in video games, making anti-obscenity laws for radio journalists and more security cameras in public places such as malls and street/ state fairs". The man who will probably most affected by this in terms of responsibility and public relations, NYPD Commisiioner Ray Kelly said " I just do what the mayor tells me. I don't make policy, I just enforce it".

Full Article (http://www.oddtodd.com/RIAA.html.)

SoPictureThis
2007-04-01, 02:30 PM
april fools? if not, how nice! i wonder if this vantage point will offer good angles for photography and how many mm will be required for nice shots. predictions?

jMay

GrummanFan
2007-04-01, 02:38 PM
Sounds like an April Fools joke to me.

LGA777
2007-04-01, 02:42 PM
My intial reaction was WOW, very exciting development. Then I realized todays date and I realized the poster has way to much free time on their hands. BOOOOOOOOOOO

LGA777

emshighway
2007-04-01, 02:46 PM
It was running good until Phillip McKraken and Seymour Butts were added to the article.

Happy April fool's day.

Matt Molnar
2007-04-01, 02:51 PM
Too bad Mike Hunt and I.P. Freely weren't available for comment.

SoPictureThis
2007-04-01, 04:15 PM
awww too bad, im so easily fooled :P

T-Bird76
2007-04-01, 04:23 PM
Man Clinton is even a bitch in a joke. lol

mirrodie
2007-04-01, 04:40 PM
and unlike Star War enthusiasts and Trekkies, they have social lives and girlfriends

Well once I saw this comment about Nikv69, I knew it had to be a joke. LOL

SengaB
2007-04-01, 05:18 PM
Seymour Butts

is that supposed to equal Senga Butts?

lijk604
2007-04-01, 06:57 PM
LOL Nice try, altjough getting our hopes up like that could get someone hurt.

SengaB
2007-04-01, 07:01 PM
lijk604,
Are you refering the person that made the post? :)

Senga

nwafan20
2007-04-01, 08:07 PM
Yeah, as soon as I read the fear of El Al security I knew it was a joke!

Rather good one too!

SCOTYDEMCO
2007-04-01, 09:12 PM
Officer Stanley Koswalski of the NYNJPAPD who regularly patrols JFK says "I think it's good for the airport(s). I'd rather spend my time looking for people smuggling drugs or doig other illegal activities rather than chasing some overweight geek with a camera off the airport grounds. They'll report anything out of ordinary to us and we'll investigate. I actually know a few spotters. They're good people."

"Overweight geek with a camera" is how we are reffered in a joke huh, lol. I'll go toe to toe with officer Koswalski anyday, lol

moose135
2007-04-01, 09:22 PM
"Overweight geek with a camera"

Hey, I resemble that remark :D

tipek
2007-04-01, 10:34 PM
I was actually searching for tickets on JetBlue for June before I scrolled down to see the replays.
Damn! I was so excited :)

Rafal