PDA

View Full Version : Have baby, will travel.

mirrodie
2007-03-26, 10:49 AM
Well looks like we are planning our first trip together with baby.

You know, we've planned romps to and through California, Australia and Europe, but this small trip to MIA has got me a bit anxious and scared!

We don't want to be "that couple with the screaming baby" We don't want to get kicked off the plane if our son releases any hazardous fumes!!
:shock:

Any tips to share for a baby's first flight?

RDU-JFK
2007-03-26, 11:00 AM
I'll admit I always feel a bit ticked when I see a family with a baby board with the threat of a screaming baby 2 rows behind me, but as long as I see the parents trying to make an effort to make baby as comfortable and happy as possible, I don't mind. After all, babies will be babies :)

I wouldn't worry about it. Flights down to Florida are filled with kids anyways.

I wish the three (or more) of you a nice flight and more importantly, a great trip!

Matt Molnar
2007-03-26, 11:02 AM
Can't wait for the A380 when there'll be 30 crying babies instead of two or three. :)

moose135
2007-03-26, 11:26 AM
Any tips to share for a baby's first flight?

A large bag in checked luggage...oh wait, I guess Shoshana would object to that, wouldn't she :D

cancidas
2007-03-26, 12:22 PM
do what my parents did to me, pack him in a duffel and they'll never know.

Nonstop2AUH
2007-03-26, 03:15 PM
Apparently, Etihad's A380 configuration will feature a special children's area for the reasons stated, so next year take your family vacation in Abu Dhabi and you'll be fine!

FlyingColors
2007-03-26, 03:24 PM
Been there, done that.
Un-sugar coated version: welcome to a world of $hit!
PS-your going to be loosing you camera carrying permit very very soon so get you rocks off now.
Little kids / DSLRs = not enough hands to hold on to both.

lijk604
2007-03-26, 04:52 PM
My brother has had 2 girls. Best advice from him....

A dose of Liquid Children's Tylenol 30 mins before departure, makes them nice & sleepy.

FlyingColors
2007-03-26, 05:40 PM
My brother has had 2 girls. Best advice from him....

A dose of Liquid Children's Tylenol 30 mins before departure, makes them nice & sleepy.

Yeah, and a nice tall one for the parents don't hurt either :wink:

Winglets747
2007-03-26, 07:23 PM
Well in terms of the long run if you plan on traveling with your kid a lot, you may want to limit the amount of medicine you give--let the kid adjust naturally and become used to airplane flights.

Also, parents tend to bring WAY more stuff than necessary. Figure out some foods, necessities, and activities for the trip, but don't bring the whole play room. You're bound to lose something/not be able to find what you're looking for/not be able to bring your camera. :wink:

Have a good trip!

mirrodie
2007-03-27, 09:33 PM
Ah, so the crucial question, for those of you who did travel with an infant.

OUr little one wil be roughly 4 months by flight time. Do I buy an airline seat or go the way of the lap?

FlyingColors
2007-03-27, 10:56 PM
Ah, so the crucial question, for those of you who did travel with an infant.

OUr little one wil be roughly 4 months by flight time. Do I buy an airline seat or go the way of the lap?

At that age, do what I did.
Splurge on first class tickets and time the wee ones nap time with the flight if possible. Worked great for me, get a pile of blankets on the floor and he will be off to dreamland.

T-Bird76
2007-03-27, 11:14 PM
No you don't have to buy a ticket, you can lap it.

nwafan20
2007-03-27, 11:42 PM
I would recommend, if the airline allows it, not buying a ticket and having them sit on your lap. WN allows this up to (2) years old? Not sure about other airlines, check with yours before flying/buying.

It will save you the price of a ticket, and there might possibly be an open seat next to you where you can sit it. It all comes down to not wasting money on a useless seat.

mirrodie
2007-03-28, 07:38 PM
Mike, buying the 2 F seats is a great idea but a pair of setas at $420 vs $1600 to JFK-MIA..... I wouldn't even be able to write that off ;)

OK, so as a follow up tangential question:

I checked the fares last week, was 158 per person

Then Sunday it was 178 per person

today is 188 per person.
So the question is:

Do you think it'll still float high or might come back down?

Winglets747
2007-03-28, 08:43 PM
When are you looking to go?

hiss srq
2007-03-28, 08:46 PM
Do you think it'll still float high or might come back down?

That depends on what you feedc the baby before take off ;)

mirrodie
2007-03-28, 08:56 PM
may, 2nd week. Considering its just a $30 increase, I bought it. Not much of a gambler and if it went from $158 to 178 to 188, in less than a week,not taking a chance. but its all a chance.