PDA

View Full Version : Cayman Airlines Starting JFK on June 23rd

Iberia A340-600
2007-03-24, 12:06 AM
Starting on June 23rd Cayman Airlines will launch 3xweekly flights from CYB to JFK.

George Town, Grand Cayman, B.W.I. - March 21, 2007 - The Hon. Charles Clifford, Minister of Tourism, Environment, Investment & Commerce announced today that the National Flag Carrier, Cayman Airways Ltd. will, subject to regulatory approval, begin non-stop service from Grand Cayman to New York on June 23, 2007.

“I am pleased to accept this recommendation from the CAL Board of Directors whose decision is based on analysis and support from the new management team, the Lufthansa Consultants and the Department of Tourism,” said Mr. Clifford.

“The start of this route signals the Government’s commitment to ensuring the National Airline continues to be a driver of the local economy. The route addresses the needs of the tourism industry and will be convenient for the financial services industry. The New York area is the single largest source market for the Cayman Islands tourism industry with more than 30% of all United States air arrival visitors, coming from the tri-state area. Additionally, New York is the financial capital of the United States and there is significant weekly business traffic between the two points.”

According to CAL CEO, Patrick Strasburger, “Arrival figures show a 95% increase in the number of visitors in 2006 versus 2005 from the Northeast. This is excellent competitive positioning for our airline providing access to a proven travel market for the Cayman Islands.”

Although the ‘Big Apple’ is enticing, Cayman Airways isn’t going at it alone. “We have developed a comprehensive marketing plan with the Cayman Islands Department of Tourism which will feature television advertising and, working with the on-island hotel partners, we have excellently priced vacation packages” said Strasburger.

Leading the planning effort on behalf of the private sector is Ms. Jean Cohen, Vice President and General Manager Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman and the Cayman Islands Tourism Association’s (CITA’s) Chairperson for the Hotel Sector. Ms. Cohen welcomes the New York route; “The Northeast USA is critical to the success of the Cayman Islands as a tourist destination. CITA and all of its member hotels are working closely to ensure the success of CAL and this new route.”

These sentiments were echoed by Mr. Clifford, “The data clearly indicates how important the Northeast market is to our tourism industry. I commend the Board and Management of Cayman Airways for responding to this demand with the introduction of the New York route. As we have stated in the past, one of the key roles of our National Airline is to support the Islands as an engine of economic growth. I am therefore extremely pleased to see the industry come together in this fashion.”

“Moreover, I am confident our local residents will enjoy the convenience of the non-stop service for leisure, cultural and shopping opportunities in the Big Apple,” Mr. Clifford continued.

Cayman Airways will operate the three weekly flights to John F. Kennedy International Airport. The flights leave Grand Cayman on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday at 4:10PM and depart New York at 9AM on Thursday, Sunday and Monday.

As the national flag carrier of the Cayman Islands, Cayman Airways operates non-stop Boeing 737 jet service between Chicago, Houston, Tampa, Miami to/from Grand Cayman, and jet service to Cayman Brac, Kingston and Montego Bay, Jamaica and Havana, Cuba. Cayman Airways has also reintroduced daily turbo-prop service via Cayman Airways Express between the three Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman. For additional information, contact your travel agent or Cayman Airways at 1-800-4-CAYMAN. In the Cayman Islands please call 345-949-2311.

Nonstop2AUH
2007-03-24, 06:20 AM
Big news from Sir Turtle! This is cool, with all the offshore banking Wall Street in addition to NY area tourists will appreciate this. I wonder if it's going to continue through the peak fall and winter tourist season, the schedule on the website says the Sunday/Monday goes away at the beginning of September but no end dates for the other flights. Wonder if there is any capacity expansion in the works because their fleet of (old generation) 737s is very small, as it is they spread the planes around among several destinations throughout the week...Maybe with LH consultants there is some plan in the works...

Nycfly75
2007-03-24, 10:33 AM
Ah a new visitor to I assume T4 this summer. It seems their equipment will overnight at JFK as well.

hiss srq
2007-04-17, 12:48 PM
This is exciting for me. They are one of my favorite airplanes to see. I recall when they had 727's. I flew them from TPA once. Great service, great airline, great aircraft type!

Nonstop2AUH
2007-04-17, 07:41 PM
During the first week of May, they are doing travel agent seminars in the area to promote the service and destination. I'd imagine there will probably be a local ad campaign coming as well.