PDA

View Full Version : Profeel Review and 70-300 IS first look

nwafan20
2007-03-22, 04:02 PM
PROFEEL:

Site: http://www.profeelvideo.com
Epinions rating: 5/5 Stars

So, after my Ebay deal, I finally decided to order it new. Profeel was the cheapest from a trusted company so I decided to give them a try. I have also used in the past Beach Camera, Canoga Camera and B+H. All were good, but Profeel edged them all out.

Ordering was smooth, don't even need an account to order (nice feature!). We ordered it Monday night, $540 with free shipping. Got a call the next day to verify the order, unlike some companies they didn't even try to get us to buy anything extra. Person was real nice on the phone and we talked a bit.

The shipping, since it was free, was 5-11 days from time of shipment (which would be Tuesday). I was a little concerned because at that point, it was only 8 weekdays away from my next spotting trip. To my surprise, it arrived TODAY (after 2 days!!!) with 2 free gifts from Profeel, a free HOYA UV filter (which I needed since I only had one), and a Tshirt. Very cool of them!

The package arrived as described, with plenty of packing peanuts and (IMO) an oversized box (filled with peanuts). It came both with the Canon standard warranty, and a special Profeel warranty. I could not ask for more!

nwafan20's PROFEEL rating: 5/5 stars. I will definitely look into Profeel for my next purchase!

Ok, second part:

Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM lens:

Have only had it for a few hours, so just a few observations:

Being my first IS lens, that feature is awesome! I don't think I will be able to live without it anymore! Test pictures showed that it is quite sharp, but the true test will come next Saturday when I take it out spotting. I did notice that the AF is a little slower than my 28-105 3.5-4.5 II USM.

No rating as of yet, I will wait until spotting to review it.

Chris102
2007-03-22, 09:16 PM
Good luck with your new lens! I can't wait to see how it works out for you.

I've been looking at the 70-300mm IS to replace my 70-300mm III. The quality of the photos from my 70-300 III isn't too good, but from what I've seen/heard, the IS version's quality is a lot better.

nwafan20
2007-03-22, 09:26 PM
Thanks! Just to clarify something, the 70-300 III and 70-300 IS are NOT the same lens (with just IS added to one), that is why the quality is much better.

As a followup:

Does anybody have a 70-300 IS? If so, could I ask a question? How fast is your AF? I am concerned there might be a error with mine, possibly a bad focus motor?

GrummanFan
2007-03-22, 09:43 PM
No, mine seems a little on the slow side as well. But I will continue to use it until my hand becomes faster than the camera :wink:

stuart schechter
2007-03-22, 09:48 PM
I'm looking into buying a SLR because my P&S ain't cuttin' it anymore. Would you recommend them for camera's too? Good prices for Canon's?

nwafan20
2007-03-22, 10:01 PM
For a beginner SLR, you can't go wrong with a Canon Digital Rebel XTi.

I keep hearing about people having to clean their sensors, I sit back and smile at them :D

stuart schechter
2007-03-22, 11:06 PM
I was looking at the XTi. Does it have an auto sensor cleaner? Is that why you point and laugh! :twisted: :twisted:

nwafan20
2007-03-22, 11:29 PM
Yes, and it works very well! I have not seen a speck of dust on any of my pictures!

stuart schechter
2007-03-22, 11:33 PM
Well I think you turned me on to something. Now if only I could find a job in the NY metro area to pay for it.

Anyone have $800 they will lend to a stranger?

nwafan20
2007-03-23, 12:41 AM
Do yourself a favor and get the body only (can be bought for around $600), and get a better lens than what comes with the kit. I personally reccomend the 28-105 3.5-4.5 II USM. That is what I use and it is great! (That goes for around $200-$250)