PDA

View Full Version : Pax Upset After Dead Woman's Body Placed in Biz Class

PhilDernerJr
2007-03-18, 08:19 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,259500,00.html

This pompus ass got upset becuase the deceased lady was put in his row. God forbid! how slefish is that?

He started saiyng there was a health concern, saying that the body was beginning to decompose after only a couple hours. Again, concerned about his own health, not any compassion for the dead or grieving.

mirrodie
2007-03-18, 08:37 PM
Well if the body was in first, at least you got prime service and one less inconsiderate neighbor to deal with. That's if it was just the body.

But...
The woman’s daughter accompanied the corpse, and spent the rest of the journey wailing in grief

I'd be pissed too if I had to listen to a wailing woman in first class on a 6+ hour trip. I mean, its bad enough that, no matter how everyday it is, there is a dead body in your cabin. But to be reminded of it every step of the way by listening to a grieving woman is just wrong.

Note to self: Get stronger earplugs.

PhilDernerJr
2007-03-18, 08:42 PM
Honestly, death of your loved one or not, the grieving woman should have been able to control herself a little better.

PHL Approach
2007-03-18, 08:56 PM
Why wouldn't they check the body as HR, Human Remains... And put it in a box to go in one of the bins below.

PhilDernerJr
2007-03-18, 08:57 PM
Why wouldn't they check the body as HR, Human Remains... And put it in a box to go in one of the bins below.

She died inflight. Difficult to access the cargo hold from there.

T-Bird76
2007-03-18, 08:58 PM
Phil and Mario I'm surprised and a bit disappointed by both your reactions. First how could you call this man a pompus ass, he woke up next to a dead guy. When was the last time you woke up next to a dead guy, I can't even imagine how I'd feel. Although extremely uncomfortable does come to mind. Second how would you know how you'd react to someone you loved all of a sudden dying on you in flight? Perhaps this was the only family this woman had.

I think both your opinions are out of line and lack real empathy for both these people. :(

PhilDernerJr
2007-03-18, 09:02 PM
For the guy that complained, when they say his "row", I'm sure it was across the aisle, not right next to him. I'm sure there was at least an aisle and a seat between himand the body. I really don't think it's that big of a deal, and his quotes are a bit over the top for the situaiton.

Being upset about it is one thing, but the man showed ZERO compassion..

T-Bird76
2007-03-18, 09:04 PM
For the guy that complained, when they say his "row", I'm sure it was across the aisle, not right next to him. I'm sure there was at least an aisle and a seat between himand the body. I really don't think it's that big of a deal, and his quotes are a bit over the top for the situaiton.

Being upset about it is one thing, but the man showed ZERO compassion..

747s have plenty of jump seats that are not in use by FA's at all times. The airline should have done a better job at minimizing the dead body to the passengers. Becareful not to assume things, airlines have done worse.

mirrodie
2007-03-18, 09:09 PM
Are you kidding me? I'd be completely creeped out having a dead body next to me! Was was being totally sarcastic about that (though the quiet would be welcome ;)).

But Tom, you fly quite a bit. And I know you. And you KNOW that you'd be pissed too if some woman was wailing for 6+hours in flight. C'mon now.....Then again, maybe you'd lay some moves on her and do a bit of consoling. Ok, yeah, Tom, I like that angle ;)

PhilDernerJr
2007-03-18, 09:10 PM
I'm not saying it's not bad, I'm just saying the guy is being more dramatic than necessary.

mirrodie
2007-03-18, 09:14 PM
Well the guy was dramatic but...for the airline to tell him to"get over it", if they did, as he alleges, is just as bad.

Maybe the guy was a necrophobe and came close to having an attack? As mean or funny as it sounds, worse lawsuits have been filed and won.

Winglets747
2007-03-18, 09:53 PM
Moving the body to a premium cabin where there are fewer pax is a fairly common protocol involving in-flight deaths. I do hope the body was covered with blankets after it was placed in the seat.

I don't think cabin air at 36,000 feet qualifies as "room temperature".

Jumpseats aren't really an option, as they usually face passengers, plus the body would have to be moved prior to landing.

As for the "wailing woman", I wonder how hysterical her crying really was. The writer only wrote the opinion of one guy, who seems to be a bit dramatic as Mirrodie noted. If she really was making a lot of noise, I can't imagine that the crew wouldn't have asked her to go to one of the mid-cabin galleys, or the FA office.

nwafan20
2007-03-18, 10:03 PM
Why not put the body in a crew loft?

Nonstop2AUH
2007-03-19, 01:40 AM
As there are an increasing number of ULR flights, this is going to become more of a problem unless airlines develop procedures to store bodies for 15-20 hours in something other than a passenger area, as Singapore apparently has come up with. Cruise ships have been carrying coffins for years, so surely in the larger aircraft that fly such routes they can find some sort of multipurpose space to use, like maybe have a coat closet or galley stowage area that can be converted for this use as needed.

It is a bit much to ask anyone, nevermind a premium cabin passenger, to sit next to or even just in sight of a dead body for like half a day. They're not going to land, that would cost too much and inconvenience the living, so if they are going to just press on, at least find a place to put the corpse that is out of sight

BTW, did anyone check if this lady had a peanut allergy?

hiss srq
2007-03-19, 09:35 AM
Good question about the allergey. Well It seems BA is carrying alot of DEAD WEIGHT around lately. There was a similar issue a few weeks ago on a domestic flight with a 757 at BA as well.

Nonstop2AUH
2007-03-19, 04:32 PM
Having flown BA frequently back in the '90s, often in Club thanks to my expat contract, I'd say unless their policies have changed, dropping dead is just about the only way an old Indian lady would get an upgrade from economy.