PDA

View Full Version : Any reason to complain

hiss srq
2007-03-13, 08:31 PM
This lady needs to calm it down a tad I would say. Oh and another reason not to book on bulk ticket carriers is because when you fly your opinion means crap to them. http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/airbattle13.htm

njgtr82
2007-03-13, 08:37 PM
First I would say she shouldn't have flown CO then if it was a big deal. Then for them to offer her a refund just for her to refuse it... give me a break, keep your mouth shut. Next her son will get sick on the flight and guess what, lawsuit.

Nonstop2AUH
2007-03-13, 09:21 PM
I feel bad for these people, but they didn't do their homework before making a purchase decision and now they expect it to be everyone else's problem but their own. Consumers today want to go online, buy a low price point having researched nothing other than the price, and then they expect that everything should be custom tailored to their personal needs. I mean, I'm allergic to two year olds, but I don't expect the airline to remove them from the plane when I fly!

nwafan20
2007-03-13, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I think that the lady has no room to talk since Continental offered a refund, and she declined it. Whatever happens is her own fault now.

Alex T
2007-03-13, 10:19 PM
While the lady did not do her research it has been typical of other business to be able to ask them to accomodate them for a medical reason, which most companies usually ARE understanding of.

She however should not have assumed though.

WN which is HUGE on serving peanuts, asked that they are warned ahead of time, with a simple heads up to the agent at the gate, once the plane arrives, they will quickly reserve the front row of the aircraft for the peanut allergic passenger, vacum and clean off the seats and carpet in the area, and serve only pretzels, they will take off the peanuts off the plane.

This is the best SWA can do to accomodate, but if the reaction is just to severe then they do not advise passengers to fly on SWA.

Otherwise, props to CO for giving a refund even though she did not take it.

Alex

Midnight Mike
2007-03-13, 11:01 PM
I still find it surprising that Airlines are still serving peanuts these days, there are people out there that have severe allergies for peanuts.

Saying that, if she is aware of her son's condition, then as a mother, she is responsible for booking a flight on an airline that will avoid serving something that could be deadly to her son.

cancidas
2007-03-14, 11:45 AM
that's why you don't take things for granted. can't this woman read? doesn't she look at what her kid is putting in his mouth? she could have easily done the above, or just bought a ticket somewhere else, especially if she went to the length of calling and finding out that CO doesn't remove peanuts from snacks. i think lawsuit flashed into her brain as she was hanging up the phone thay day...

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-03-14, 02:48 PM
It is kind of dumb that CO would refuse to accomodate a penut allergy, especially since it isn't the kids fault that he's allergic and that the mother was "going through the trouble to put fourth her money" to CO.

RDU-JFK
2007-03-14, 02:53 PM
Might be ignorance on my part, but 10-20 years ago you never heard anything about peanut allergies. Airlines always served peanuts--I've never recalled about any allergic reactions in many cases, and never read peanut allergy information on food.

Is the peanut allergy a new phenomenon???

T-Bird76
2007-03-14, 03:10 PM
This woman is a moron... CO said they'd give her a refund and she still wants to fly them. She is basically putting her son in harms way. She said she is in a hurry, how long does it take to rebook with another airline? Less time I'm sure then it took to question her for that article. I feel bad for the person sitting next to her.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-03-14, 03:14 PM
That aside, CO is the only airline listed that does not accomodate Peanut allergies. Thats kind of discriminatory.

RDU-JFK
2007-03-14, 03:19 PM
That aside, CO is the only airline listed that does not accomodate Peanut allergies. Thats kind of discriminatory.

I bet they will now.

hiss srq
2007-03-14, 05:05 PM
I bet they will not. I do not see why they need to for the minority. Seriosuly. This lady was looking for somthing to bitch about. Oh and I reiterate the fact she bought the ticket on Expedia. I personally think that anyone who books on expedia or any bulk ticket does not deserve thwe right to do such things as complain. They wanted the cheap fare they get the ceap treatment.

Nonstop2AUH
2007-03-14, 07:00 PM
Sadly I think this will lead to another one of those special interest campaigns and CO will be forced to do away with the peanuts, probably Southwest too when they get done with it all. The media loves to get behind these kind of things, whether justifiable or not.

As for Expedia and the like, people need to understand that when they buy something online from an intermediary, they need to do their own research. This is why it's called a "self-service" business model, and if you want a live person to explain everything to you, you should call the service provider directly or go through a reputable travel agent. But that costs more you say? Well, of course it does, the reason why Expedia and the like are 'cheap' is that it's a bunch of servers and a handful of call center reps that are probably offshore and definitely not trained in the specific policies and attributes of every product they sell. This is how they keep costs down.

I was once on a United flight from ORD to LGA where some 30-something suit was whining to the FA because she told him there was no meal service onboard (in economy of course) and he claimed Expedia had told him there was. Now, what is she going to do, procure a meal just for him? He was quite worked up about it and she finally had to actually explain to him that United has nothing to do with Expedia and it really isn't the airline's responsibility (and certainly not hers) if Expedia is telling people the wrong information. I imagine the average NYCAviation.com member knows more about UA's services than the typical Expedia agent, but what can you do? People need to learn there is a cost to be paid for those low internet prices.

hiss srq
2007-03-14, 10:45 PM
As far as the special intrest groups go I have a nuts tradeoff for them ;)