PDA

View Full Version : Planning a trip to S. Korea

RDU-JFK
2007-03-13, 10:00 AM
So I'm planning a trip to Seoul to visit my brother in May--5/22-5/27. I'm a bit weary of using the discount travel sites to book the airfare and connect with different airlines (non-alliance or codeshare partnered).

Lowest airfare was around 1100 dollars, with a connection to Singapore air in SFO (flying DL, AA, or UA to SFO from JFK) and back. Lowest nonstop was 1500 on KE. And a few fares of 1300 in between connecting in Tokyo on JL.

What should I go with, and where should I book it? I don't want to be stranded and not have an airline-issued itinerary, since orbitz and expedia would leave me hanging high and dry. I might just bite the bullet and fly KE nonstop.

Winglets747
2007-03-13, 12:27 PM
I would suggest looking at two separate itns: NYC-LAX/SFO and LAX-SFO-ICN. A lot of times Orbitz (and other sites) will add a surcharge for mixing non-partnered airlines.

I wouldn't worry about booking a ticket via Orbitz, Expedia, or Cheaptickets to ICN.

T-Bird76
2007-03-13, 01:52 PM
Book directly through the airline's website. Most will offer you the lowest fare possible and if something happens they will take care of you. Often times the travel websites will give you a low fare with a ton of restrictions you might not catch.

hiss srq
2007-03-13, 06:49 PM
STAY AWAY FROM DISCOUNT AIR TRAVEL WEB SITES. If you misconnect you are essentially screwed sir. Trsut me. I have they joy of dealing with these types of passengers all day long. Book with Delta because of skyteam alliances to Korean and do it that way. At least if you have a misconnect etc etc it will get resolved. Agents are not even allowed to rebook you for misconnect when you fly on bulk tickets.

RDU-JFK
2007-03-14, 05:28 PM
STAY AWAY FROM DISCOUNT AIR TRAVEL WEB SITES. If you misconnect you are essentially screwed sir. Trsut me. I have they joy of dealing with these types of passengers all day long. Book with Delta because of skyteam alliances to Korean and do it that way. At least if you have a misconnect etc etc it will get resolved. Agents are not even allowed to rebook you for misconnect when you fly on bulk tickets.

I will definitely heed this advice. Will probably book thru delta.com.

RDU-JFK
2007-03-20, 10:10 AM
So I booked my flights through Delta. I'm flying from JFK to Dulles on Comair, then to Seoul on Korean Air. I then fly back to JFK nonstop on Korean.

Matt Molnar
2007-03-20, 12:20 PM
Oddly I got a "Seoul Flights on Sale" email from Delta yesterday but they don't seem very cheap and all on Korean Air codeshares. DL launches an ATL-ICN flight of their own on June 4th.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-03-21, 08:17 PM
When does DL's ATL-Seoul service start? Did you look at that?