PDA

View Full Version : KFOK

cancidas
2007-03-11, 03:07 PM
curious to see if anyone knows anything about the military operation at Gabreski. is it a USAF or US ARMY operation out there? i've only flown in there once, and that was a touch-and-go on the way home from BID when i was training years ago. i noticed a few C-130s and a couple UH-60s sitting on the ramp. does anyone know what units are stationed there?

also, if anyone knows any history on the airport please share. anything you know about this field i'd be glad to hear (read). i looked it up on airnav but that site didn't give me many specifics, though i did find a site that allows you to view aeronautical charts online, pretty cool!

lijk604
2007-03-11, 03:57 PM
NY Air National Guard - 106th Rescue Wing

http://www.nysuff.ang.af.mil/index.htm

moose135
2007-03-11, 09:05 PM
They used to fly F-102s there - there is one on display at the gate. Got to meet a retired pilot from the unit recently - he was actually the last one to fly the "gate guard" jet - had an in-flight fire in the pattern, got it down, and the fire crews put out the fire before the fuselage was damaged. He transistioned to helicopters when the unit became a rescue wing.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-03-11, 09:07 PM
I wonder how FOK would do with Small Airline service like Delta Connection to ATL and US Airways to PHL, because ISP is a bit of a drive from the Hamptons.

Art at ISP
2007-03-12, 12:22 AM
I did my first solo as a pilot at FOK in the 70's.

Regarding ISP, most people in the Hamptons go to ISP--there is not enough year round population to have service from FOK.

I remember F102's out there too!!

cancidas
2007-03-12, 01:02 AM
too bad they're ANG. puts a damper on my plans... :(