PDA

View Full Version : JFK RWY Configurations?

s2vKJFK
2007-03-08, 01:40 PM
I have noticed that the ATC has been using the 22's and 31L from the "KK" intersection for SW departures from around 17:00hrs to 21:00hrs on almost every night now when the winds are between 200 and 360. Unless a strong NW wind will not allow this configuration were RWY 31L full length is used.

Is this runway configuration something new for increased volume or has this been done for years? The only reason I ask if anyone knows is because I do not remember them doing this before???

PhilDernerJr
2007-03-08, 01:57 PM
I think using the config lets them "wind" down he taxiways a little easier to alieve the many aircraft in line to depart.

PHL Approach
2007-03-08, 02:01 PM
Nah, nothing new. I don't remember the last time they didnt depart 31L at KK... It would obviously come most in handy when running 22's, by not allowing departures to cross 22L/R and therefore reduce coordination. It's similar to what EWR does with 22L departures at W and PHL departures off 35 at K.

I think they only allow it under very rare circumstance.

bonanzabucks
2007-03-15, 12:12 PM
They also land on 4R and take off on 4L and 31L at KK. I've heard them use this config several times on the JFK ATIS. I actually saw it once when on the LIRR, going to work. I would see two planes take off in the distance at JFK, one departing on 4L and the other on 31L. Pretty cool, actually. I'd like to see this being used at the airport itself.

They also use this (and the runway 22) configuration a lot in the mornings.

moose135
2007-03-15, 01:01 PM
They also land on 4R and take off on 4L and 31L at KK. I've heard them use this config several times on the JFK ATIS.

They were using this config this past Sunday afternoon, after switching from 31L/R departures & arrivals.