PDA

View Full Version : Is there not enough news for Newsday?

mirrodie
2007-03-07, 01:46 PM
Making news?

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-linews0308,0,7481648.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

A Newsday delivery truck crashed into a commercial truck repair yard building in Wyandanch early Wednesday morning, causing concern about a possible gas leak, according to a fleet manager for the newspaper.

The truck driver, Mike Green, suffered minor head injuries and was rushed to Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center in West Islip, said the fleet manager, John Kochersberger.

The accident happened at 5:50 a.m. when Green drove through two fences before hitting the building at the A&D Maintenance Leasing & Repairs yard at 118 Wyandanch Ave.

No other injuries were reported but the Newsday truck also struck a parked car that had been left in the yard overnight, Kochersberger said.

"I went to scene in person and it was very chaotic," the manager said in an e-mail he sent to his Newsday supervisors and Newsday.com. "It looks worse than it really is, but KeySpan and local fire departments are already there working on the leak."

The area near the intersection of Wyandanch Avenue and Mount Avenue is closed, he said.

A KeySpan spokeswoman said the truck hit the repair yard building's actual gas meter, causing the utility to shut gas off the street.

"At this point, we are waiting for the truck to be removed so we can assess the damage and make the repairs," said the spokeswoman, Diana Parisi.

She added: "It has been made safe. There is no gas going to that building and there were no other customers affected. It was just this building."

In an interview, Kochersberger said Green was on his way back to Newsday when the accident happened.

"He had one more stop to go, a coastal station up there, and he was coming back here," the manager said. "He was pretty much finished for the day."

Asked what caused the accident, Kochersberger said: "He's not sure. He doesn't recall being tired or sick or anything."

moose135
2007-03-07, 01:57 PM
I knew it was going to be "one of those days" when I turned on the TV this morning, flipped to News12, and the first thing I see is the live shot from their helicopter of a Newsday delivery truck up against a building...