PDA

View Full Version : Behind the scenes with airport security

emshighway
2007-03-01, 08:07 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=5082719 (http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=5082719)

(New York - WABC, March 1, 2007) - In an Eyewitness News exclusive, we have a look at airport security like you've never seen before -- security that passengers never see.

These are behind the scenes random checks -- not of passengers -- but of workers. Call it surprise security checks of airline and airport employees.
Eyewitness News reporter Tim Fleischer has the story.

Shift change at LaGuardia as employees cleared for secure access, swipe their ID cards and pass code, then suddenly encountering a surprise security search -- a complete search of bags and personal items and a complete pat down from head to toe.

Douglas Hofsass, federal security director: "It's flexible, it's robust, it has the ability to add another layer of security that did not exist before 9/11."

And that's when passengers were also put through the biggest security changes: long lines and x-ray machines. Now, passenger Barry Moskowitz is not surprised airport workers too must go through extra checks.

"Any additional security enhancements make you feel better. Why not? What have you got to lose," Moskowitz said.

Working at random locations, two teams of four TSA members move through LaGuardia Airport. Eyewitness News was given an exclusive behind the scenes look as they search employees at the American Airlines baggage area. Workers never know when they will encounter the extra search.

And because these searchers can happen at any time during the day, they have set up a station as the workers get into work but also as they leave work.

"They are never in the same place on the same day, same hour ... it's completely random," Hofsass said.

And it covers secure and sterile areas across the entire airport in a week. Even TSA employees like Carlos Rodriguez are also subject to search.

"I definitely feel safer. With all the things that have been going on, definitely a go. As long as I'm safe, that's all what counts," Rodriguez said.

mirrodie
2007-03-02, 10:17 AM
That's cool. Were you involved with the program in any way?

Will it also highlight all the problems that exist in the system?

emshighway
2007-03-02, 06:31 PM
That's cool. Were you involved with the program in any way?

Will it also highlight all the problems that exist in the system?

Somewhat

What problems do you perceive?

mirrodie
2007-03-02, 06:37 PM
Please search the old threads. It is nothing that has not been discussed in the past.

emshighway
2007-03-02, 08:45 PM
Please search the old threads. It is nothing that has not been discussed in the past.

Then it's not worth my time. I can go over to FlyerTalk to read whining.

cancidas
2007-03-03, 07:04 AM
that's been going on for some time now...

emshighway
2007-03-03, 12:55 PM
Yea, LGA was one of the first to start it.

ABC wanted to do the story so we said sure.