PDA

View Full Version : jetBlue across the pond?

T-Bird76
2007-03-01, 11:27 AM
I generally don't engage in these "what if" posts but with jetBlue’s expansion to its 53rd destination in North America and its intent to expand internationally further into the Caribbean what are the chances we'll see B6 land in London in the next few years? Being that it’s the largest carrier at JFK which is O&D heaven and its ability to further feed a London flight with its connections it seems on the surface to be a sure thing. I'd imagine perhaps an A330 or the A350 since Airbus will be giving them away with every purchase of one A320 ;)

Matt Molnar
2007-03-01, 11:52 AM
I think they could do well, but it would be a very big gamble. Would they even be allowed to fly to LHR? Their target market would sort of be the Virgin Atlantic niche, and the UK government seems to be somewhat protectionist of their carriers.

PhilDernerJr
2007-03-01, 12:08 PM
I don't think JetBlue will do it themselves. I think they will codeshare with someone, like Virgin Atlantic.

Matt Molnar
2007-03-01, 12:15 PM
I don't think JetBlue will do it themselves. I think they will codeshare with someone, like Virgin Atlantic.
Only if Virgin America never takes off.

T-Bird76
2007-03-01, 12:35 PM
Well LHR is out of the quesiton but Lutton or Stanstad would I'm sure welcome them. Matt has a point if Virgin America takes off no way will there be a B6/Virgin codeshare. I can't see cost being a factor, B6 already does intl ops so their system can handle it already and the new terminal has heavy gates that can handle widebodies when its done.

lijk604
2007-03-01, 01:39 PM
Didn't they already announce a code-share with Aer Lingus?
I realize it's not London, but, the way things are these days I cannot see them straying any further from their business model of the A320 & E190.

They have not been as profitable since gaining the E190's (if I recall correctly) and that has to be attributed to the following:
New training costs
New spare parts inventory
Different engine types.

Adding the A350 or A330 or any heavy for that matter, would then add new ground support equipment costs. Remember all those A320's & E190's only need a belt loader to load & unload. Adding a widebody adds luggage/cargo container's and the loaders that are needed to get them on & off the aircraft. None of that stuff is cheap. You then have a 3rd type of cockpit that needs training, a 3rd set of spare parts that are needed, and a 3rd engine type.

Code Share...only way to go.

Matt Molnar
2007-03-01, 01:57 PM
The problem is Virgin is the only realistic nonstop partner, and if Virgin America starts flying this will not be possible. I think in a couple of years jetBlue's investors may start demanding growth into the higher-yield overseas routes. I dunno how they'd pay for it, but it may be necessary.

T-Bird76
2007-03-01, 02:43 PM

I disagree, the same was said about WN and ATA teaming up that WN couldn't do it. I'm really thinking that with Airbus in the crapper they may pony up some bucks for support if B6 buys the A350.

mirrodie
2007-03-01, 05:01 PM
paging B6 to SXM

paging B6 to SXM.

Forget LHR. There are too many LCCs in Europe as it stands now!

Ari707
2007-03-01, 05:12 PM
and the A350 would be nice to fly to florida in the winter to add seats...

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-03-01, 05:29 PM
It would be interesting to see B6 fly to Luton or Stansted. Nice way to go to London. I imagine that the airfare would be decent too.

mirrodie
2007-03-01, 05:40 PM
It would be interesting to see B6 fly to Luton or Stansted. Nice way to go to London. I imagine that the airfare would be decent too.

Well having traveled to LHR on AA in coach and back in First on their 777s, I can't why Jetblue would bother. The aa777 has PTVs as do the jetblue....and Lord knows how comfortable those leather seats are... :roll: expecially with those 6 hour waits on the tarmac that Jblue has. ;)

Winglets747
2007-03-01, 05:47 PM
Even if Virgin America falls through, I think a B6/VS code share would be a long way off, given the CO/VS tie. I can't see VS wanting to drop CO in favor of B6.