PDA

View Full Version : BUF - RDU 727

727C47
2007-02-24, 09:22 AM
41 degrees F ? This is BUF in February? Be still my heart. But we still had to de-ice ,because some vagrant snow showers earlier had lightly frosted our wings and tail. Then after firing up all three noise and smoke generators,we had to tip toe off the FBO ramp, barely clearing the dormant Air Now Bandits, that were parked like silent sentinels near the taxiway. Our big tires,crunch,crunched,through the ice ,and snow that still fouled the tarmac ,greasing it like a bobsled run, I kept our taxi speed slow in deference to the conditions,easing our way to the big runway at BUF.

We were cleared for take-off just after a freight dog Navajo rumbled on in.My FO eased the throttles forward, while I grabbed the radios. A full thrust take-off, three JT8Ds crackling ,and booming, that pure ,elemental thunder,that still sends shivers down my spine when I hear it. In seconds we were aloft,knifing swiftly through the clag that was blowing in from great Lake Erie. Minutes later we were level at FL 340, climbing into the very embrace of the stars,that surrounded us this cold,(-58 degrees C), winters night in the flight levels. To our direct front,Orion the hunter strode rampant, straddling the horizon, his faithful companion Sirius blazing away ,a silver beacon, seemingly close enough to touch . We dimmed the cockpit lights way down low,so all that pure ,pewter light could illuminate us, sipping coffee ,while behind us our clients slept in the Boeings embrace, Raleigh, our destination but an hour ahead.

Way down south,beyond the horizon,beyond the 300 mile range of our radar,a battle was raging. We could see the flash,flashing of many CBs,T-storms that were pillaging Georgia, Alabama, and the rest of the southland this night. That ,however was a battle we would not have to fight tonight, we sailed on ,serene,and calm, tacking away from all that lightning and silent thunder, and found RDU,clear,and almost calm,in the virgin hours of the day. Put our ship to bed, our clients on their way, and ourselves to sleep. Godspeed.

nwafan20
2007-02-24, 11:47 AM
Wow, once again a great trip report! Did you take professional writing classes or something?

727C47
2007-02-24, 03:16 PM
thanks brother, i write a few pieces now and then for the flying mags

nwafan20
2007-02-24, 04:35 PM
Oh, that's cool! It was very well written, I could see how you would write some professional work!

RDU-JFK
2007-02-24, 05:29 PM
Nicely done....WOO HOO RDU!!!!! :D

PhilDernerJr
2007-02-24, 06:05 PM
As always, a great story. :)