PDA

View Full Version : The Raddison at LAX

T-Bird76
2007-02-23, 03:04 PM
So if any of you remember awhile back the discussion we had regarding the top of the Radisson at LAX was closed well click the below link. If you want to blame someone, below will answer your question why it’s closed. I'm sorry but these guys (who I meet :x ) are real morons. Why on earth you would publicly post a picture of you standing on the roof of this hotel when you know that is the reason the manager closed it down is beyond me. Lets all take a minute to thank them for helping ruin this spot.

http://www.contrailsphotography.com/spotting.html

moose135
2007-02-23, 03:39 PM
Why on earth you would publicly post a picture of you standing on the roof of this hotel when you know that is the reason the manager closed it down is beyond me.

Especially when right there on the front page of their site, they say:

The owners, operators, and photographers associated with this site ask that anyone using any of the recommended spotting sites PLEASE abide by the rules posted by the land owners or authorities. Failure to do so will most likely end in these spots being taken away from other spotters viewing pleasures.

Real rocket surgeons, these guys!

mirrodie
2007-02-23, 03:45 PM
Not rocket surgeons...

no

They are tools.

I mean, really, what a bunch of idiotic tools.

nwafan20
2007-02-23, 06:11 PM
Why was it closed?

But either way, they are morons!

NIKV69
2007-02-23, 08:21 PM
The top of the Radisson was not closed because of this one instance. Let us remember that even if you stayed in the lounge or the little area outside of it that it is still private property and not a spotting location. LAX spotters had no right going up there if they weren't guests of the hotel. The manager didn't want people up there when the lounge was closed. It is perfectly understandable. I would bet if you were a guest of the hotel and patronized the lounge for food and drink you could probably work something out with management but to go up there like it is your own personal spotting location when you are not a guest it wrong. These guys in the pic that Tommy posted were totally in the wrong but they were the sole reason and should not be singled out.

jran225
2007-02-23, 08:45 PM
I stayed at the Radisson as a guest last April and often used the balcony for spotting over my four day stay - got some great shots from there aswell! I'm probably returning to LA this April for spotting and I plan on staying at the Radisson, not only because of the ex-spotting location, but also because it is an excellent hotel. I plan to talk to the manager regarding use of the lounge/balcony upon my arrival. Such a shame that this once easily accessible spot is gone for the time being....jerks..

Greets,
-Omar S.

tipek
2007-02-23, 09:11 PM
Actually all 3 guys in that picture were GUESTS at that hotel when that picture was taken. I was there, and Eric from NYCaviation was with us as well. Hotel employee that was working there during our picture taking sesion, gave us OK to take pictures from that location as long as we don't walk to the edge of the roof. At 5pm he politely asked us to leave because that was the time when that lounge was officialy open for hotel guest to enjoy their dinner or drinks.
So please don't jump to conclusions that this picture has ruined that location. Yuri, Alex and Matt (on the picture) flew from Canada and were legit guests.
People WHO ruined that spot were local spotters from LA area who used that spot as a personnal spotting location.

Rafal

T-Bird76
2007-02-23, 09:56 PM
Actually all 3 guys in that picture were GUESTS at that hotel when that picture was taken. I was there, and Eric from NYCaviation was with us as well. Hotel employee that was working there during our picture taking sesion, gave us OK to take pictures from that location as long as we don't walk to the edge of the roof. At 5pm he politely asked us to leave because that was the time when that lounge was officialy open for hotel guest to enjoy their dinner or drinks.
So please don't jump to conclusions that this picture has ruined that location. Yuri, Alex and Matt (on the picture) flew from Canada and were legit guests.
People WHO ruined that spot were local spotters from LA area who used that spot as a personnal spotting location.

Rafal

Rafal he's the deal, THEY WERE WRONG TO GO OUT ON THE ROOF! So was anyone who did. That is he reason the manager closed the lounge plain and simple. Its totally BS that they would be so bold as to post this picture. The railing is there for a reason, btw what hotel employee said you could go on the roof? I'm sorry but I'm not going to listen the housekeeping staff. Anyone with half a brain would know that is not a smart move. I'm sorry but don't make excuses for this behavior because any reason to be out there unless the owner of the property said it was ok is Bull****. I'm sorry but this comes down to simple greed and selfish reasoning.

NIKV69
2007-02-23, 10:29 PM
Actually all 3 guys in that picture were GUESTS at that hotel when that picture was taken. I was there, and Eric from NYCaviation was with us as well. Hotel employee that was working there during our picture taking sesion, gave us OK to take pictures from that location as long as we don't walk to the edge of the roof

I stayed threre too and did the same thing, Two employees I spoke to said exactly the same thing. As had many before.

Rafal he's the deal, THEY WERE WRONG TO GO OUT ON THE ROOF! So was anyone who did. That is he reason the manager closed the lounge plain and simple. Its totally BS that they would be so bold as to post this picture. The railing is there for a reason, btw what hotel employee said you could go on the roof? I'm sorry but I'm not going to listen the housekeeping staff. Anyone with half a brain would know that is not a smart move. I'm sorry but don't make excuses for this behavior because any reason to be out there unless the owner of the property said it was ok is Bull****. I'm sorry but this comes down to simple greed and selfish reasoning.

No Tommy it doesn't. It is just propaganda from many that has been posted since the new manager made the policy change. Certain people want to stand on this "They ruined it for everyone else" ritual but the facts are that if it was so serious as you state that door would have been locked and a much more serious effort would have been made to keep people out of the lounge area when it was closed long before the new manager came along. This new manager mad his decision on the basis of not having anyone up there when there was no supervision. Those guys who posted that pic on spotting location website were very wrong but they were not the ones who are to blame. Not by a longshot.

tipek
2007-02-23, 10:40 PM
Tommy,

It wasn't housekeeping employee. It was a guy that worked the floor, and he was there all the time. He didn't give us permission to go on the roof, but gave us permission to go on the deck which is on the roof.

Also, all they want to do is to promote spotting around the world. How would you feel if I started blaiming NYCAviation for ruining great spot at Costco for the rest of the world?
I wont blame anybody. NYCAviation also wants to promote spotting around NYC airports, but that was bold move to take pictures standing in front of the main door to Costco. :)
As you see, some people might say that it was new Costco manager, some will say it was because of unnecessary exposing in location where thousands of people pass thru during the weekend. :)

My 2 cents
Rafal

T-Bird76
2007-02-23, 10:54 PM
Rafal they aren't on the deck....... They are on the roof. I was on the deck when it was allowed not on the roof. They went over the railing and out on the roof. Doesn't matter if it was two feet or twenty feet, your not supposed to be on the roof. Someone with a third grade education could figure that out.

Also Rafal I don't recall any of our members saying they stood in front of the main entrance of Costco taking pictures. If they did then they are just as guilty and shouldn't even promote this site or even be a part of it. Phil has made it a point time and time again to promote the idea of respecting private property and anyone on this site who does different should go on his or her own way.

Nick drop the propaganda crap and what are you talking about anyway? The lounge is open and always has been open. The door to the deck was locked. By publicly posting their picture for all to see they represent the one's who decided to break the rules and ruin a good location. As Moose even points out their website ask you to respect certain property and yet they don't. So please don't say they aren't to blame, maybe they weren't ones who finally sealed the fate but they took part.

NIKV69
2007-02-24, 12:35 AM
Nick drop the propaganda crap and what are you talking about anyway?

Tommy it is propaganda, and cheap at that. First off that was not a spotting location. It is a lounge on the top of a hotel. I know you and many here want to exploit this notion that all the people that walked on the roof are to blame but that is not true. If this was the case the old management would have locked that place when it wasn't open a long time ago.

and ruin a good location

Again this was never a "location" just because spotters both local and others, both guests of the hotel and not shot there it still was a lounge and the top of a hotel. They have the right to do whatever they want. We have to lose this thinking that it was our own shooting location. It's this selfishness that leads to this spouting off that others ruined it for us.

tipek
2007-02-24, 01:42 AM
I'm staying out of this. :)

Rafal

PhilDernerJr
2007-02-24, 06:01 PM
It seems like differnet people are assuming, based on rumor and not direct info, as to what the manager's reasons were for closing it.

Either way, though it was a nice spot, it's LA, and the city has no shortage of great locations or other ways to enjoy the airport. The Radisson was a new spot, and LAX was a great place to spot before that.

I don't think it's worth getting upset over.

PHL Approach
2007-02-25, 03:11 PM
I plan on staying at the Radisson, not only because of the ex-spotting location, but also because it is an excellent hotel.

I don't think I would agree that it's an "excellent" hotel. I'll use it again next time I go just due to it being in a prime location for someone without the ability to rent a car.