PDA

View Full Version : LGA Question--Customs Facilities?

RDU-JFK
2007-02-22, 11:42 AM
So I was reading in an airliners.net post about the LGA perimeter rule and International Ops. I know pre-screened flights from Canada and the Caribbean are in place but someone posted that LGA has a customs or immigration facility to clear flights from, say, Europe, or non-pre-screened cities like Toronto.

Can someone clarify this? Also, if this is allowed, where are these facilities? Is there a special gate or area in the CTB?

Thanks in advance, gang.

cancidas
2007-02-22, 04:07 PM
customers clear customs before departing. thier luggage however is screened by TSA when it arrives at LGA.

hiss srq
2007-02-22, 04:10 PM
As well as the team that is over at MAT for Sheltair

RDU-JFK
2007-02-22, 04:18 PM
OK, so there's no immigration facility anywhere on LGA's premises (like where a passport can potentially be stamped)? Or can this be done at Sheltair?

I know about pre-clearance, but theoretically if a flight from Europe without clearance landed at LGA, there are no immigration facilities to process them, right?

hiss--what is Sheltair?

hiss srq
2007-02-22, 04:22 PM
At Sheltair they can do it that is about it. Sheltair is the FBO over there and they do see flights from Europe from time to time

Tom_Turner
2007-02-22, 10:22 PM
My understanding is international flights can be arranged and the personnel "brought in" on a case by case basis. Have no idea about the circumstances, but I have read this more than once.

For what it is worth, there is a "story" I have heard - but I have no reason to doubt it, that an Egyptair 767 once landed at LGA during a fuel emergency after an aborted landing at JFK. Supposedly the aircraft spent a couple of hours (?) there at LGA being refueled and back to JFK - with all the passengers still on board.

Tom

INTENSS
2007-02-22, 10:59 PM
My understanding is international flights can be arranged and the personnel "brought in" on a case by case basis. Have no idea about the circumstances, but I have read this more than once.

For what it is worth, there is a "story" I have heard - but I have no reason to doubt it, that an Egyptair 767 once landed at LGA during a fuel emergency after an aborted landing at JFK. Supposedly the aircraft spent a couple of hours (?) there at LGA being refueled and back to JFK - with all the passengers still on board.

Tom

Doesn't sound too far-fetched. Just because an airport doesn't have Customs, doesn't mean an international flight cannot arrive there. Under certain parameters, an airline is able to request a permit to proceed for crew, pax, and/or int'l trash to another airport with proper Customs/Immig/Ag facilities. It's done quite often....though wouldn't even be worth it for LGA with JFK and EWR nearby unless it is absolutely necessary.

-Rich

cancidas
2007-02-23, 12:08 AM
there are customs officials at JFK, but there are maybe 2-4 of them. they will meet flights by request, and that's usually only private aircraft. we did this once in tuscon, az when i was living out there. simply called the customs folk, gave them an eta and then waited in the airplane 'till they arrived.

as i said earlier, pax on flights arriving from Canada will clear customs before they depart. bags are screened a second time though. the story that Tom spoke about, not far-fetched at all.

Mateo
2007-02-23, 02:31 AM
You can arrive internationally on a private flight to LGA - the port of entry stamp will have the same 'NYC' code as do arrivals at JFK.

Toronto-Pearson (YYZ) has preclearance. Toronto-Island (YTZ) does not.

RDU-JFK
2007-02-23, 08:58 AM
Cool, thanks for the info, all!

Nonstop2AUH
2007-02-23, 10:03 AM
In addition to Toronto, I've seen US preclearance in Bermuda, Nassau, and IIRC even Dublin, so presumably you could fly to a US airport that lacked customs from any of those places and whatever others have preclearance.

Mateo
2007-02-23, 10:20 PM
Sliiiightly veering off-topic, but germane, I suppose, since these airports could serve LGA, perimeter rule nonwithstanding.
The following Canadian airports have preclearance facilities:
Victoria (YYJ), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Edmonton (YEG), Winnipeg (YWG), Toronto-Pearson (YYZ), Ottawa (YOW), Montreal-Trudeau (YUL), and just opened in Halifax (YHZ).

The following other airports have full preclearance facilities:
Nassau, Bahamas (NAS), Freeport, Bahamas (FPO), Aruba (AUA), Bermuda (BDA).

Dublin and Shannon have Immigration preclearance, but NOT Customs. When you arrive on a precleared flight from Ireland, you bypass the passport-stamping booth and go straight to baggage claim where you pick up your luggage and then hand the card to the Customs guy as you leave the international arrivals area. Your passport/I-94 (if applicable) will have already been stamped in Ireland.

I don't have my master list with me, but the 3-letter code on the port of entry stamp is the same as the IATA code for the overseas airports, but not for any of the Canadian ones.