PDA

View Full Version : JFK/DAB...If JetBlue can fly to ACK, then DAB should be next

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-02-16, 07:44 PM
Ok...This is the last straw. JetBlue announced seasonal service to Nantucket this week. Where is the demand for jetBlue to fly to ACK? Doesn't US Airways cover the New York flights with service to LGA? Anyway, I would think that if JetBlue can launch service to ACK with confidence, then they can launch service to Daytona Beach with even more. The NYC market is wide open for JetBlue to swoop in and a zip code analysis done by DAB proves that NYC is the top destination for travelers. Plus, Atlanta is looking less popular by the day and that is mainly where you will connect if you fly from DAB. There is much more for jetBlue in DAB than ACK and all we need is two E190 flights per day to JFK. I feel like jetBlue is trying to torture me by witholding DAB service. (Thats a joke) As of May (United is pulling out in April probably due to competition with AirTran), there will be three airlines at DAB including one LCC (AirTran, Delta, and Continental Express). None of those airlines serve New York city on a regular basis. I think it is time for jetBlue to step up to bat and land in Daytona Beach. AirTran is doing great here with very strong bookings through March and many, many full airplanes. JetBlue should do just as well serving such a popular destination for DAB travelers.
*Some information provided by the Summer 2006 Air Service Proposal for jetBlue Airways made by Daytona Beach International Airport.

nwafan20
2007-02-16, 09:16 PM
C'mon, there just isn't enough demand! If there are only 3 airlines, that shows there isn't enough demand! Florida already has several large airports, why do they need another one?

Heck, B6 isn't even at DTW, why would they go to DAB? Now, i'm not calling for B6 at DTW, i'm just saying, B6 isn't going to serve every airport, only airport markests they see fit, DAB isn't on their list, they already have flights to MCO, only an hour and 10 minuites away according to MapQuest.

Matt Molnar
2007-02-17, 12:46 AM
I'd say the yields on ACK are going to be the highest in their system, and that's why they're flying there. The same can't be said for DAB. If B6 could fly to the Hamptons, they would and they'd make a ton of $. ACK is the next best thing.

Iberia A340-600
2007-02-17, 01:28 AM
I'd say the yields on ACK are going to be the highest in their system, and that's why they're flying there. The same can't be said for DAB. If B6 could fly to the Hamptons, they would and they'd make a ton of $. ACK is the next best thing.

I'm sure Cape May as well?

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-02-17, 09:23 AM
Well, there aren't that many airlines at ACK either. ACK is a much smaller airport than DAB. Plus, there is successful LCC service at DAB, which would prove to B6 that they would do well.

njgtr82
2007-02-17, 09:54 AM
Outside of the month of February, DAB doesn't have very much demand.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-02-17, 10:56 AM
The Summer, Spring Break, the only real downturn for DAB is April. Other than that, DAB is used a lot. January's (2007) passenger counts were up 25% because of AirTran.

nwafan20
2007-02-17, 11:36 AM
Alright, listen, 3 airlines = not that much of demand.

B6 knows what they are doing, they don't need you to tell them which airports to go into.

99% of spring breakers into Florida fly into MCO and will always fly into MCO, why fly into DAB when you are staying in Orlando? There isn't enough demand!!

It is FAR to early to announce that AirTran was successful at DAB, it has only been about a month! You don't know what their revenue is, plus this is around the time where DAB will have the most amount of traffic.

DAB, with only 3 airlines and one of those being an LCC, won't be able to support a second LCC. Please, PLEASE research a bit more and stop insisting that everyone should come to DAB!

INTENSS
2007-02-17, 03:18 PM

B6 knows what they are doing, they don't need you to tell them which airports to go into.

99% of spring breakers into Florida fly into MCO and will always fly into MCO, why fly into DAB when you are staying in Orlando? There isn't enough demand!!

It is FAR to early to announce that AirTran was successful at DAB, it has only been about a month! You don't know what their revenue is, plus this is around the time where DAB will have the most amount of traffic.

DAB, with only 3 airlines and one of those being an LCC, won't be able to support a second LCC. Please, PLEASE research a bit more and stop insisting that everyone should come to DAB!

Don't confuse demand with how many airlines currently serve an individual airport. Daytona has a large catchment area from St. Augustine down to Orlando's northern 'burbs. However, up until this time, you're options out of DAB have been expensive mainline service.

A few years ago a report was done that said the top 3 final desintations out of DAB were Detroit, NYC, and Boston. With Continental scaling things back, I believe there is definite room for a LCC to offer service to the NYC area.

-Rich

bluejuice
2007-02-17, 08:08 PM
We are not serving ACK directly we will do it through Cape Air who will tie into our system in Boston. We are at the same concourse so it will be pretty seamless

Iberia A340-600
2007-02-17, 09:07 PM
We are not serving ACK directly we will do it through Cape Air who will tie into our system in Boston. We are at the same concourse so it will be pretty seamless

In addition to the code-share with Cape Air, jet Blue will be flying a daily JFK-ACK flight with E-190s.

nwafan20
2007-02-17, 09:16 PM

Don't confuse demand with how many airlines currently serve an individual airport. Daytona has a large catchment area from St. Augustine down to Orlando's northern 'burbs. However, up until this time, you're options out of DAB have been expensive mainline service.

A few years ago a report was done that said the top 3 final desintations out of DAB were Detroit, NYC, and Boston. With Continental scaling things back, I believe there is definite room for a LCC to offer service to the NYC area.

-Rich

But think about it, if there was demand, a lot more than 3 airlines would be serving it. Air Tran is the 3rd, therefore already offering LCC service, there isn't room for another one.

If I come across a bit harsh to some of you, it is because the poster (JetBlueAirwaysFan) posted about how different airlines should come to DAB for about 2 months straight over at another board I post at. It got really annoying.

INTENSS
2007-02-17, 09:57 PM
But think about it, if there was demand, a lot more than 3 airlines would be serving it. Air Tran is the 3rd, therefore already offering LCC service, there isn't room for another one.

If I come across a bit harsh to some of you, it is because the poster (JetBlueAirwaysFan) posted about how different airlines should come to DAB for about 2 months straight over at another board I post at. It got really annoying.

In the past, the demand was being met by MCO to the south and JAX to the north which both have ample LCC options. Daytona, itself, could draw people to the airport from a relatively large population base due to its convenience and (now) low fares. What this does is draw attention to DAB for people who would otherwise drive further to MCO/JAX.

This increased interest and resulting flight acticity is commonly referred to the "Southwest Effect." I'm sure we're all aware of how this works....DAB is prime candidate for this type of effect. It doesn't necessarily have to happen as a result of one carrier, we've already seen Delta upgrade and lower fares. There is alot of demand between Central Florida and NYC....let's see what happens.

-Rich

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-02-17, 11:34 PM
Thank you INTENSS...Very very true. Steve Cooke at the airport has confirmed to me that the bookings on AirTran are very strong, and I have seen reports of full flights on AirTran. nwafan...I am just trying to spark up debate, and DAB has a lot of debatable areas. Now I am being specific with DAB by mentioning NYC/DAB service.
As INTENSS pointed out, DAB does cover a wide swath. Especially being the closest airport to Flagler County (which by the way has very close ties with the NYC area). If we can get LCC service between DAB and JFK, passenger counts will sky rocket. Mind you that people will NOT want to drive with the price of gas.
AirTran has brought the first $79 one way fares to LGA through Atlanta that I have ever seen in the history of my fare tracking.
Thats the other thing, even though there are low fares, DAB needs the NYC service because people are going to get tired of always going to Atlanta. They already are. Last I heard about JetBlue from Mr. Cooke was that they were going to carefully watch AirTran's progress. So far so good. JetBlue is announcing new destinations once again, and I have the feeling DAB will be one of them pretty soon.

bluejuice
2007-02-18, 07:16 AM
Hey I guess with all the mess here at JFK,I missed that news. We are operating one daily flight in the summer with expanded operations on Fridays and Sundays.

INTENSS
2007-02-18, 08:44 AM
I'd like to add that I do not guarantee service between DAB-NYC would be successful....however it SHOULD because of the demand between the two markets. The problem is marketing the route to people in the area who are oblivious to the proposed new service.

My belief is that JetBlue would fill a few E-190's between DAB and JFK every day.....but would ticket prices sustain profitability? That's been DAB's problem in the past, loads have always been good....yields haven't. When US Air halted service a number of years back, they attributed the problem to yields. They determined, based on what the market would allow in ticket prices, that the load factor would need to be 103% on the 737's they were operating to break even. You can see why they pulled out....but you can also see how a LCC carrier that does not have the legacy costs of a mid 90's legacy carrier can succeed there. It will definitely be interesting to see how airTran performs in Daytona....

-Rich

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-02-19, 10:45 PM
As far as AirTran is concerned, what I hear is...so far so good.
Yes, no new service is guaranteed successful, however there is a good chance as you said. Normally what DAB does is waive a lot of costs and offers a marketing program. I have driven in Daytona Beach and saw marketing billboards for AirTran's new service.
AirTran's pricing has remained moderate yet competitive with Delta. When AirTran launched a fare sale, Delta did not match right away for DAB flights. JetBlue has its get it together fares where the one way ticket price is cheaper if you book with atleast two people rather than with only one person.
Although after the chaos over Valentine's Day, jetBlue may not be AS popular as it once was, their inflight ammenities are very popular and liked, so having jetBlue in Daytona Beach would be attractive to passengers. My guess is that the standard fare for DAB/JFK service on jetBlue would run between $99-$109 one way (which is still pretty cheap even with taxes for a nonstop flight). Travelers in the area would definitely be attracted to that fare from DAB. I have a copy of a proposal for jetBlue that DAB prepared, if anyone wants to see it, please let me know and I will share it with you. I assume it is not confidential since the people at the airport sent it to me.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-02-23, 01:42 PM
Well now I think that JetBlue is gonna hold off on any new destination for a while.