PDA

View Full Version : Delta Airlines air hostess found dead in Mumbai hotel

Midnight Mike
2007-02-16, 01:32 AM
Delta Airlines air hostess found dead in Mumbai hotel
Police suspect she committed suicide

Mumbai, February 15: Marilyn Duston, a 52-year-old air hostess with Delta Airlines, was found dead in a second floor room of Taj Mahal Hotel in Colaba on Wednesday night.

The police said there was a deep injury to the back of her head and a lot of blood near her body. The police also recovered a note addressed to her mother. Marilyn was unmarried and lived in Ohio, US with her 80-year-old mother.

The police suspect Marilyn committed suicide, but don’t know why.

Investigators said it appears that Marilyn tied a curtain to her neck and hanged herself in the bathroom. But the curtain rings seemed to have given away and as she fell she probably hit her head against the wash basin. And that after she fell on the floor, lost consciousness and died of excessive bleeding.

Marilyn, say the police, had checked into room number 311 on February 13 with other crew members. On February 14, went to sleep around 3 am and asked the hotel staff to wake her up later. A staff member got suspicious when she did not respond to his calls despite repeated attempts. In the night, the hotel staff opened the door of the room with a duplicate key and found the bathroom door double locked from inside. Inside, they found Marilyn on the floor with curtains double knotted round her neck.

In the handwritten note found near her body these were the words: “I am very sorry mom that I could not spend more time with you when you really needed me during your illness. I am very sad due to this and am also feeling guilty. Just wanted to tell you that I love you.”

D Kanakratnam, additional commissioner of police (South region), said: “As of now we do not see any motive behind Marilyn committing suicide. It could be anything from depression to work pressure.”

The police also questioned the hotel staff who first saw the body and spoke to the crew. “She never mentioned anything about depression to colleagues, who were shocked when they came to know about her death,” said PR Dighaokar, acting Deputy Commissioner of Police, Zone I.

The hotel, in a statement, said: “We are deeply saddened by the incident. The hotel is fully co-operating with the investigating authorities.”

A spokesperson for Delta Airline said: “Delta is cooperating fully with local authorities in the investigation.”

Nonstop2AUH
2007-02-16, 06:14 AM
Very sad. This FA's personal issues aside, it's a tough, often thankless job with for many a fair amount of time away from the family. There's not much, if any, of the '60s and '70s glamour left.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-02-16, 02:44 PM
Wow sad... Suicide is one of the most selfish acts a person can commit. Rarely are things so bad that someone can't get help or turn their lives/thoughts around for the better. I've been through two suicides, both kids at my high school, and the pain and suffering the family is left with is unimaginable.