Crazy idea!

http://nymag.com/news/features/27826/index1.html

cancidas
2007-02-14, 01:42 PM
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

PhilDernerJr
2007-02-14, 01:48 PM
I think that's a bit much.

Their rial idea to link all three airports is interesting, except for the fact that for people in Manhattan trrying to get to JFK, the one that serves the most passengers, they have to go through LGA or EWR first.

Matt Molnar
2007-02-14, 01:54 PM
They apparently just winged this without actually looking at how airports operate.

nwafan20
2007-02-14, 02:07 PM
That would never work, especially the runway setup, you can't have 2 operating runways so close to each other, the approach paths would be the same and therefore you couldn't use them at the same time.

Like Gotham said, they have no idea how an airport operates...

mirrodie
2007-02-14, 02:11 PM
I had to examine that figure twice in an effort to try and figure out what they want.

Seems like a solar blanket to be suspended above the entire airport, of course, with the exception of covering the runways?

Not sure what the goal is. Seems like an obvious first cut rendition. As for the doubling of the runways, I like it but don't see it happening.

Lastly, considering the "take the train to the plane," now known as "JFKairTrain" took 25 years to come to fruition, I doubt such an expansive task would be completed anytime soon :)

T-Bird76
2007-02-14, 02:12 PM
Very intertesting idea but very far fetched. Remote screening spread out all over the place leaves huge holes in the system and increases the risk of a breach. Also did they think what to do while the construction takes place? This kind of project would require JFK to basically shut down.

AndrewM
2007-02-14, 02:25 PM
uhhh.....while I appreciate their desire to think outside the box, and not every idea they have is bad, it seems like it was thought out by someone with no idea of how an airport operates. On page two where they show JFK in a before and after representation there are little plane silhouettes traveling in different directions on parallel runways. Maybe one is taxiing but I doubt it. If they didn't even know how a basic traffic pattern operates how are they figuring out the intricacies of design? Oh well, nice try I guess...

PhilDernerJr
2007-02-14, 02:36 PM
...you can't have 2 operating runways so close to each other, the approach paths would be the same and therefore you couldn't use them at the same time.

Not necessarily. With two very close parallel runways built with minimum distnaces (150 feet apart, right?), you can have one plane on one waiting to depart while the other lands on the nearby one. Time is aved by not having to wait for the plane to clear the runway for the next plane to start it's roll or to even turn onto the runway.

T-Bird76
2007-02-14, 02:44 PM
LAS's runways are right next to each other. One is used for departure and one arrivals. Works very well for them.

Ari707
2007-02-14, 02:47 PM
4. The end of fast-food ripoffs at the gate.
Flight pushed back? Status boards at each shuttle hub let you wait out the delay at local restaurants and coffee shops, instead of their overpriced airport equivalents.

And where wouldthese be? the hotdog truck by the shelter on rockaway tpk????

Matt Molnar
2007-02-14, 02:49 PM
More hilarity...this is actually a three page article.

Map of their plan for a massive loop shuttle connecting all three airport, complete with a jetBlue 777 and an unmarked passenger 741 at the gate! http://nymag.com/news/features/27826/index2.html

Intro, with illustration of "airport" entrance at Union Square: http://nymag.com/news/features/27826/index.html

As far as the remote checkpoints go, I guess they never noticed the millions of dollars in ticket counter equipment and space collecting dust at the Jamaica AirTrain terminal. All these ideas have been thrown about before either officially or by hobbyists, and deemed impractical or too expensive. Similar quality maps have been drawn on internet message boards by non-professionals.

lijk604
2007-02-14, 02:52 PM
This is all well & good, albeit a bit far-fetched, but aside from the security holes, the roundabout way to get to JFK, etc...where is the estimated COST of this project. Considering the parallel runways, what are the planning to destoy? Cargo Road (Hangar 3,4,5, DHL, FedEx, USPS & US Customs?) They can't build inside the the runways as the JetBlue & BA Terminal's would then be too close to the active with no taxiway to get to them. Same on the otherside with the Delta terminals, and unless they plan on filling in Jamaica Bay....

nwafan20
2007-02-14, 02:58 PM
LAX's runways, by my estimation are a good 600 or so feet apart, the runways in that diagram can't be any further than 200 feet apart on the first set.

Matt Molnar
2007-02-14, 02:58 PM
I would estimate the total cost at about $250 billion. Until Exxon finds an oil reserve under Central Park, these guys should pitch their services to the overly rich nutjobs in Dubai.

Matt Molnar
2007-02-14, 03:01 PM
And about the added runways...correct me if I'm wrong because I'm no expert on this, but I'm under the impression that JFK has plenty of runway capacity, but delays are caused by the FAA's inadequate approach and departure configurations.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-02-16, 03:44 PM
This won't happen you know why? NOBODY wants to spend the MONEY for this!

G-BOAD
2007-02-17, 11:44 AM
This will NEVER happen. . lets forget about the cost for a second, because that is one flaw already.
From my understanding, you go through security and check in at, say, grand Central station, the board a train that take you directly to your gate. so, if you somebody who like to get there early, you will need to stand in the small space for and hour, with nothing, but maybe a news stand. and where do the baggage go?? and what about people who just arrived. where is the customs. and, by that, can people from LGA need to go through customs. also, where is the car access. are there no cars going to airports anymore. , i will say this: interesting concept, but not practical.
I would like the train thing , but not if i have to check in first. much easier to go spotting

bonanzabucks
2007-02-21, 12:55 AM
And about the added runways...correct me if I'm wrong because I'm no expert on this, but I'm under the impression that JFK has plenty of runway capacity, but delays are caused by the FAA's inadequate approach and departure configurations.

JFK does have a lot of excess runway capacity. Actually, I notice they're using new configurations for take-offs and landings these days, especially in the evenings and mornings (landing 22L and departing 22R and 31L at intersection KK, though sometimes they land 4R and take-off on 4L and 31L at KK again).

JFK's traffic has really increased these days. It now handles more aircraft movements than LGA and is closely behind EWR. I was at JFK a few weeks ago dropping off a friend whose flight left around noon. Now, about a year ago, it would have been dead, but it was actually pretty busy this time. Good to see traffic being spread out a lot more these days.