PDA

View Full Version : Boeing offers KC-767 for Tanker Competition

moose135
2007-02-12, 10:09 PM
As you might imagine, I've been following this one closely. Aside from any political considerations, the 767 makes more sense in this role compared to the A330 proposal.

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/200 ... 2b_nr.html (http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2007/q1/070212b_nr.html)

ST. LOUIS, Feb. 12, 2007 -- The Boeing Company today announced that it will offer the KC-767 Advanced Tanker for the U.S. Air Force's KC-X Tanker competition.

"The Air Force has made it clear -- the mission is refueling aircraft, often in tight, hostile locations. The Boeing KC-767 Advanced Tanker is made for this mission," said Ron Marcotte, vice president and general manager of Boeing Global Mobility Systems. "It is the ideal fit for the requirements set forth in the Air Force's Request for Proposals. Highly energy efficient, agile and with exceptional takeoff performance, the KC-767 puts more fuel closer to the fight -- with access to more than 1,000 additional bases worldwide than the KC-135."

The tanker will be an advanced derivative of the future 767-200 Long Range Freighter and will be produced at Boeing's facilities in Everett, Wash., on the existing commercial line where more than 950 highly reliable and maintainable 767s have been built. Installation of military refueling systems and flight test activities will take place at the company's finishing center in Wichita, Kan.

Boeing's Global Tanker Team producing the KC-767 Advanced Tanker includes Smiths Aerospace, Rockwell Collins, Vought Aircraft Industries, Honeywell and the newest member -- Spirit AeroSystems. The team has proven expertise in aerial refueling systems, network centric operations, integrated avionics solutions and lean manufacturing concepts.

"This KC-767 Advanced Tanker will support more than 44,000 American jobs and 300 suppliers," said Mark McGraw, vice president, Boeing Tanker Programs.

With more than $1 billion already invested in the KC-767, Boeing will blend the latest commercial and military capabilities into the world's most technologically advanced tanker. Innovations include an advanced fly-by-wire boom, new wing refueling pods, a centerline hose drum refueling unit, the most advanced 777 commercial digital flight deck and a third-generation remote vision refueling system. This is a tanker with flexibility to meet other airlift missions; whether it's delivering three times more pallets and passengers than the KC-135 or five times as many patients and medical crewmembers.

Boeing has been designing, building, modifying and supporting tankers for nearly 75 years. The company is flying KC-767s and has more than 220 flights and 660 hours on the tanker platform.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-02-12, 10:36 PM
That's cool! There's been a lot of talk around here, especially by some of my "ex-135" instructors about the new tankers. It seems, from what they all say that the 767 would make the best platform for the mission. Hopefully an announcement will soon be made as to which tanker the Air Force will go with.

Although I don't see myself really complaining about what airframe I eventually get (barring anything keeping me from finishing UPT, *knock-on-wood*), the KC-767 is one I definately wouldn't mind flying; might be right behind the C-17 on my preference list!

Of course now that I've said that, I'll probably end up flying Predators, or the E-3 around...