PDA

View Full Version : Southwest At EWR 2/5(added some pics)

njgtr82
2007-02-05, 01:28 PM
Arrived just after noon, flight 8207 from FLL, currently parked at terminal B.... superbowl charter maybe??

N790SW
2007-02-05, 03:52 PM
could anyone provide any pics or a tail number?

njgtr82
2007-02-06, 02:00 PM
Returned again today, this time it was N727SW, in the Nevada One scheme. I'll post some pics later.

njgtr82
2007-02-06, 07:09 PM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/njgtr82/wnewr.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/njgtr82/wnnevadaone.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/njgtr82/nevadaonewn.jpg

jakbar
2007-02-07, 01:42 AM
That second picture is great!

NcSchu
2007-02-07, 08:13 PM
Yeah, does anyone know why it's here? I wonder if Southwest is looking at EWR for future services.

Alex T
2007-02-07, 08:18 PM
Yeah, does anyone know why it's here? I wonder if Southwest is looking at EWR for future services.

Charter Flights.

Southwest will not enter EWR or LGA due to CO at EWR and Slots at LGA, expect JFK to happen for WN sometimes within the next 2 or 3 years.

Alex

Iberia A340-600
2007-02-07, 09:03 PM

Charter Flights.

Southwest will not enter EWR or LGA due to CO at EWR and Slots at LGA, expect JFK to happen for WN sometimes within the next 2 or 3 years.

Alex

Can we still hope for SWF?

Alex T
2007-02-07, 09:54 PM
WN is more concerned about Florida cities. I won't rule out SWF because I am not in the new city planning dpt but I cannot see that happening anytime soon but SWA has proved us wrong before.

Alex

njgtr82
2007-02-07, 10:50 PM
I think ACY would be a better fit then SWF

Matt Molnar
2007-02-07, 11:49 PM
I won't rule out SWF because I am not in the new city planning dpt...
Why not? You just ruled out EWR and LGA. :)

Alex T
2007-02-08, 12:10 AM
I won't rule out SWF because I am not in the new city planning dpt...
Why not? You just ruled out EWR and LGA. :)

haha well WN wont go into EWR because of CO, same reason AA at DFW, both are strong at their respective hubs.

LGA they would rather get in there but slot restrictions wont allow WN to expand massively if they wanted to and all that and ATA is doing just fine for them.

That leaves JFK, which if WN wants to tap into the NYC Market, JFK would be viable for them. ISP is a new york city airport to them serving only the long island area regardless how you new yorkers wanna call it ;)

SWF is different as it is a weaker market compared to NYC area, plus B6 and FL are already there, no need for LCC airlines there now. I would imagine its to small for 3 LCC plus the others flying there.

Alex

NcSchu
2007-02-08, 04:02 PM
I kind of think JFK would be less likely than either LGA or EWR though.

lijk604
2007-02-08, 11:44 PM
They would never try to go head to head with JetBlue. JetBlue is already an established LCC @ JFK, and like you already mentioned, ISP is consideed NYC for them. Same as Providence is considered Boston.

hiss srq
2007-02-08, 11:52 PM
WN would not dare touch any of the big three. LGA is slot controlled and would hurt them, JFK is blue city and its not canyon blue either. EWR. Well we all know CO would never stand for those buffons over there. They would go to the AA tactic of pushing fares down taking the hit and driving them out of there. Because when the price is similar would you rather fly to OAK or Texas in a cattle car seat arrangement with a bag of Honey Roasted nuts or a full meak service in all classes? I will take the latter.

Alex T
2007-02-09, 12:31 AM
Guys, argue all you want, IAD, PHL, PIT, DEN were all gonna be no no's the past 5 years.

Southwest is running out of markets, they have to tap into the heavy markets.

for NYC, That means entering either one of the big 3 NYC Airports.

EWR as noted is the least likely due to CO heavy domninance and also due to the delays there.

LGA is slot controlled and ATA does well for SWA there.

That leaves JFK.

Ryan- If that is the case how is it Southwest is the largest Airline in the world in terms of passengers enplaned? WORLD, not Country, World. It is CLEAR that people chose SWA for other reasons. You may not like them but that doesn't mean the other 80 Million passengers don't either.

Your intentions of WN is misguided, if WN was to fly JFK-OAK, which is just as close to San Fran as SFO is, you would get more then Peanuts, you would get a full service snack box for free, and unlimited drinks and a snack bag too, not something to get excited about but certainly a nice option to have.

And for arguments sakes it is not cattle car seat arrangement, I have had worse options when flying assigned and see it is no different then others.

B6 has been hurting with the fuel cost and major delays out of JFK, just because WN enters JFK does not mean they would fly every route with B6. Some B6 die hard fans will fly B6 regardless, and some WN fans will fly WN regardless.

If WN can make it work for them in cost effective way you will see them in NYC at one of the three airports.

Alex

N790SW
2007-02-09, 12:48 AM
I will also put my 2 cents into what my fellow WN fan Mr. Trude said.

I think WN would have no choice to go to JFK - because for those of us who are NY'ers or live in the LI region - most of Suffolk and maybe parts of Nassau use ISP for travel - therefore they choose WN, Those in the other Parts of Nassau and 5 buroughs would obviously opt for a NYC airport- EWR-JFK-LGA.

As many of us stated about LGA and their slot problems is also true but then agian people at WN say never say never.

EWR I always thought as a possiblity because at least from what I heard it isnt that croweded compared to the other airports in NYC, then agian I could be wrong. WN is not head to head with CO soo I dont know what the problem is with that?

JFK- Ill agree with alex because if you think about it - most NY'ers care about the fares- and because of WNs fuel advantages they can bring prices way low that B6 couldnt do. B6 also from what i hear doesnt have that great of customer service- and like alex once told me " customer service goes a long way"

Also remeber folks NYC might be getting a new airport from what I heard on the news a few weeks ago- maybe thats after all the NYC airport WN needs? who knows? but I personally agree with Alex on JFK

To those B6 fans out there - You have a great airline dont get me wrong - but I suppose WN and B6 both have strengths and weaknesses, but in the end Tvs dont matter to alot of people.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-02-14, 04:26 PM
I think SWA has NYC covered with ISP. It'd be nice to see them do some further expansion into other Florida cities though. NYC to/from Florida is a popular route. SWA is doing just fine with their ISP/MCO, ISP/PBI, ISP/FLL, ISP/TPA, and ISP/RSW flights.
Unfortunately I doubt Southwest will expand to any other Florida cities (cough cough, DAB!) because they are sucking in so many passengers from about 100 miles away.

T-Bird76
2007-02-14, 04:39 PM
I think SWA has NYC covered with ISP. It'd be nice to see them do some further expansion into other Florida cities though. NYC to/from Florida is a popular route. SWA is doing just fine with their ISP/MCO, ISP/PBI, ISP/FLL, ISP/TPA, and ISP/RSW flights.
Unfortunately I doubt Southwest will expand to any other Florida cities (cough cough, DAB!) because they are sucking in so many passengers from about 100 miles away.

ISP is not an NYC airport and WN does not market ISP as such. Suffolk county has over a million people living within its boarders, certainly enough to support WN's presence at ISP. Right now they have 8 useable gates at ISP, they'll go down to 4 soon but once the apron is fixed WN said they plan on adding flights from ISP. I'd wager HOU, RDU, JAX, and perhaps MSY if they can get their act together down there.

lijk604
2007-02-14, 04:49 PM
Personally I'd love to see the ISP-HOU. Too bad it seems like there never will be a ISP-DAL.

T-Bird76
2007-02-14, 04:52 PM
Personally I'd love to see the ISP-HOU. Too bad it seems like there never will be a ISP-DAL.

Just wait 8 years, lol

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-02-14, 05:52 PM
ISP/JAX will be great!