PDA

View Full Version : 747 Project

N790SW
2007-02-05, 12:02 AM
Hey Guys

I am going to be doing a project on the 747 which includes a speech, I do know alot about the 747 but since we are all into aviation here , can any of you give me some tips or what to mention when I infact do my speech on this great plane, some stuff to touch up opon too. Thanks Guys and I will let you know how it goes when I do my speech on this plane.

Derf
2007-02-05, 12:35 AM
Hey Guys

I am going to be doing a project on the 747 which includes a speech, I do know allot about the 747 but since we are all into aviation here , can any of you give me some tips or what to mention when I in fact do my speech on this great plane, some stuff to touch up opon too. Thanks Guys and I will let you know how it goes when I do my speech on this plane.

You should have done it on the 727....it was more of a breakthrough.

747, Tripple Decker, was designed as a freighter because it was believed that the Concorde would in a few years make the 747 a cargo only aircraft. Boeing bet the company on it and made sure that if the SST technology worked as planned and passengers would be Mach 1+, the 747 would better be the best for Cargo.

The reason that there is a 2nd deck (3rd level) is so that the cockpit could be out of the way when cargo was loaded. The nose was designed to pivot up on the cargo versions so the payload was loaded directly in making turnaround much faster.

If I were you, I would go to your library and get 3 good books on the 747, sit in a well lit place with some nice hot coco and you will be able to tell us more about 747 than most of the people on the forum. There is allot to know, it is all worth reading about, it is not the same as getting 9 good sound bytes by 4 forum members.

If you want to paint the best airliners from Boeing....I would really look at a 727 for many more reasons. God, I could type for 10 minutes the firsts that the 727 made possible. But don't get me started with that bird!

Midnight Mike
2007-02-05, 01:32 AM
Hey Guys

I am going to be doing a project on the 747 which includes a speech, I do know alot about the 747 but since we are all into aviation here , can any of you give me some tips or what to mention when I infact do my speech on this great plane, some stuff to touch up opon too. Thanks Guys and I will let you know how it goes when I do my speech on this plane.

Topics to talk about:

The first flight by the Wright brothers could have been flown inside the 747.

*The 747 originally proposed for the military.

*Was/is used to transport the Space Shuttle.

* The 747 is used as a test bed for engines such as the 777 & is a test bed for the laser system.

*The 747 has been used as the setting for quite of number of films:
Speed, Snakes on a Plane, Air Force One, etc

Need more information on the 747, go to the source:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/747fam ... round.html (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/747family/background.html)

Derf
2007-02-05, 01:44 AM
I have a question..
100,200,300,400,800.....why are they skipping 500,600 and 700?

PhilDernerJr
2007-02-05, 08:18 AM
Oh, oh, oh! I know! It's because "8" is considered alucky number byt he Chinese, and Boeing wanted it to have appeal among the Asian community. Airbus did the same thing with their first version ofthe A380.

Midnight Mike
2007-02-05, 08:50 AM
I have a question..
100,200,300,400,800.....why are they skipping 500,600 and 700?

500,600,700 were various 747 projects that never got off the ground.. Using the 800 was Boeing's way of starting fresh, & as Phil said, to gain the attention of Asian customers....

Derf
2007-02-05, 09:33 AM
used numbers....how boring, Thanks for the info Mike!

as per the 747 facts...
"THE 747sp is BAD A$$" This is a fact!

uplander
2007-02-05, 01:45 PM
The 747 is used as a test bed for engines such as the 777

You could show this 26 second video: BZW0zA1r6bE

hiss srq
2007-02-05, 01:52 PM
I agree with Fred the 727 is much cooler. Spiral stairways pfft! How about a wing that takes itself apart in flight and actually makes it fly better! How about you can land that bad boy on a 4,000 foot runway and still have some room left over before you become a giant lawnmower.

FlyingColors
2007-02-05, 01:57 PM
Hey Guys

I am going to be doing a project on the 747 which includes a speech, I do know allot about the 747 but since we are all into aviation here , can any of you give me some tips or what to mention when I in fact do my speech on this great plane, some stuff to touch up opon too. Thanks Guys and I will let you know how it goes when I do my speech on this plane.

You should have done it on the 727....it was more of a breakthrough.

747, Tripple Decker, was designed as a freighter because it was believed that the Concorde would in a few years make the 747 a cargo only aircraft. Boeing bet the company on it and made sure that if the SST technology worked as planned and passengers would be Mach 1+, the 747 would better be the best for Cargo.

!

The Boeing SST 2707 was the passenger plane of the future, bigger and faster then the Concorde .

Midnight Mike
2007-02-05, 03:03 PM
The 747 is used as a test bed for engines such as the 777

You could show this 26 second video: BZW0zA1r6bE

Nice find!!! I saw the airplane when I went to Victorville Airport, pretty neat to see the 777 engine on the 747, it hangs very low.

Derf
2007-02-06, 09:38 AM
Some 727 Firsts!!!

First certificated commercial trijet (December 1963).
First "Quick Change" airplane, operated with passenger configuration during day and converted to all-cargo at night.
First to bring the speed and comfort of jet travel to hundreds of communities with short runways -- as short as 5,000 feet.
First commercial airplane in history to surpass the 1,000-sales mark for civil use.
First standard airliner to be fitted with Boeing "widebody look" passenger cabin interior.
First airplane to have a triple-slotted flap system for superior takeoff and landing performance.
First Boeing jetliner with completely powered flight controls. All flight controls are hydraulically powered, with dual units, except for the horizontal stabilizer, which is trimmed electrically.
First trijet to fly the North Atlantic with passengers, carrying charter loads between Canadian and European cities.
First commercial airplane to win a medal of honor from a king for surviving a fighter strafing attack (Morocco, 1972).
Pratt & Whitney designed the JT8D turbofan engine specifically for the 727, the first time in commercial aviation that a jet engine was "tailor-made" for an airplane.
First airplane to use the "jet mixing" principle for quieter operation. Because the engine had the lowest jet exit velocity of any engine when it was introduced, it also had the lowest noise level from the tailpipe.
First airplane to be certificated to FAA noise rules (FAR 36), even though Boeing was not required to do so because the airplane was in service years before the rule was written.
First large commercial airplane to carry its own built-in airstairs and auxiliary power unit and to feature single-point refueling for total independence of ground support equipment at through stops.
First airplane to be subjected to The Boeing Company's brutal fatigue testing and static airframe testing prior to flight. The $30 million test program was designed to ensure that no redesign of production airplanes would be necessary. During fatigue testing, the airframe demonstrated a useful life of more than 20 years of normal service.
First jet airliner certified by the FAA for operation from gravel runways.
First jet airplane considered quiet enough to use LaGuardia Airport in New York City. Two U.S. trunk operators began service June 1, 1964, from LaGuardia, both using 727s.
First jetliner to prove it could operate -- even with one engine out -- from Bogata, Colombia (8,355-foot elevation), Cuzco, Peru (10,800-foot elevation), and LaPaz, Bolivia (13,358-foot elevation). No jet had operated at any of these airports before.
First in range of all the "smaller" airliners. In 1973, an Advanced 727-200 flew nonstop from Toronto, Canada, to Copenhagen, Denmark -- a distance of 3,975 statute miles.

N790SW
2007-03-02, 04:27 PM
Well folks:

I did my project today and lets just put it this way it was the best in the class and i got a 100 on the whole thing =] thanks for your help - I even put in a picture of a WN 747 - i think Alex Trude would be proud of me for that one =P thanks for all your help agian =]

PhilDernerJr
2007-03-02, 04:43 PM
Glad you did so well, all without using one period or comma. Congrats!

nwafan20
2007-03-02, 04:56 PM
Again, I echo Phil, congrats! I think it is even more amazing that you didn't use any periods or commas like Phil said! Congrats on that too! ;)

N790SW
2007-03-02, 10:52 PM
Hey! I was out of breath when the speach was done. :lol: =P

nwafan20
2007-03-02, 11:10 PM
I'm sure.

And that pretty much sums up the 747 the 747 was one of the greatest planes of its time and revolutionary at that the 747 is still going strong today with the newest variant coming out soon called the 747-800 (BIG BREATH) the 747 will continue to be a strong plane and will likely be around for a lot longer thank you for your time.

;)

FlyingColors
2007-03-03, 02:36 AM
Some 727 Firsts!!!

First certificated commercial trijet (December 1963).
First "Quick Change" airplane, operated with passenger configuration during day and converted to all-cargo at night.
First to bring the speed and comfort of jet travel to hundreds of communities with short runways -- as short as 5,000 feet.
First commercial airplane in history to surpass the 1,000-sales mark for civil use.
First standard airliner to be fitted with Boeing "widebody look" passenger cabin interior.
First airplane to have a triple-slotted flap system for superior takeoff and landing performance.
First Boeing jetliner with completely powered flight controls. All flight controls are hydraulically powered, with dual units, except for the horizontal stabilizer, which is trimmed electrically.
First trijet to fly the North Atlantic with passengers, carrying charter loads between Canadian and European cities.
First commercial airplane to win a medal of honor from a king for surviving a fighter strafing attack (Morocco, 1972).
Pratt & Whitney designed the JT8D turbofan engine specifically for the 727, the first time in commercial aviation that a jet engine was "tailor-made" for an airplane.
First airplane to use the "jet mixing" principle for quieter operation. Because the engine had the lowest jet exit velocity of any engine when it was introduced, it also had the lowest noise level from the tailpipe.
First airplane to be certificated to FAA noise rules (FAR 36), even though Boeing was not required to do so because the airplane was in service years before the rule was written.
First large commercial airplane to carry its own built-in airstairs and auxiliary power unit and to feature single-point refueling for total independence of ground support equipment at through stops.
First airplane to be subjected to The Boeing Company's brutal fatigue testing and static airframe testing prior to flight. The $30 million test program was designed to ensure that no redesign of production airplanes would be necessary. During fatigue testing, the airframe demonstrated a useful life of more than 20 years of normal service.
First jet airliner certified by the FAA for operation from gravel runways.
First jet airplane considered quiet enough to use LaGuardia Airport in New York City. Two U.S. trunk operators began service June 1, 1964, from LaGuardia, both using 727s.
First jetliner to prove it could operate -- even with one engine out -- from Bogata, Colombia (8,355-foot elevation), Cuzco, Peru (10,800-foot elevation), and LaPaz, Bolivia (13,358-foot elevation). No jet had operated at any of these airports before.
First in range of all the "smaller" airliners. In 1973, an Advanced 727-200 flew nonstop from Toronto, Canada, to Copenhagen, Denmark -- a distance of 3,975 statute miles.

Great list!
A few more...

Scale model 727s underwent 5,500 hours of wind tunnel testing, my info shows that is the highest time of any Boeing design ever.
March 29 1975: World Airways 727-100 sent to Da Nang Vietnam to help evacuate refugees. While boarding the aircraft , under enemy gunfire and hand grenade attack, causing extensive damage to the main gear, aft stairs and port wing flaps. Captain Healy took on as many passengers as possible, including the wheel wells and cargo holds. The ship was overloaded by 20,000 pounds, had 105 seats-yet transported 360 people to Saigon!

N790SW
2007-03-03, 04:28 AM
I also said that the 747 will most likely be flying up until at least 2050. Did I assume correctly ?, and yess I know what happens when u ASSUME!!!

nwafan20
2007-03-03, 03:00 PM
That seems like a fare assesment. I imagine eventually, Boeing will come out with a 747-10 or something, so it might be a bit past that as well.

Derf
2007-03-04, 09:48 AM
March 29 1975: World Airways 727-100 sent to Da Nang Vietnam to help evacuate refugees. While boarding the aircraft , under enemy gunfire and hand grenade attack, causing extensive damage to the main gear, aft stairs and port wing flaps. Captain Healy took on as many passengers as possible, including the wheel wells and cargo holds. The ship was overloaded by 20,000 pounds, had 105 seats-yet transported 360 people to Saigon!

I have video of this on my website with the full story... here
http://fromtheflightdeck.com/Reviews/727/World727/

here are some pictures take of the event...note the foot and leg hanging from the wheel well

http://fromtheflightdeck.com/Reviews/727/World727/Daly727100.jpg

http://fromtheflightdeck.com/Reviews/727/World727/Daly727100g.jpg