View Full Version : Cradle of Aviation has new pilot

moose135
2007-01-31, 06:53 PM
Cradle of Aviation has new pilot
Interim director James Volkert seeks to make institution the hub of activity
BY BILL BLEYER
Newsday Staff Writer

January 31, 2007, 1:58 PM EST
After parachuting in to serve as interim director of the troubled Cradle of Aviation, museum consultant James Volkert is confident the institution can improve its programming, attendance and finances.

"There's been difficulties but I'm optimistic about the potential," said Volkert, who replaced beleaguered president Eric Ricioppo two weeks ago and will spend four months at the Mitchel Field facility revamping operations and helping to find a permanent replacement. "It's a solid institution."

The Arkansas resident who operates James W. Volkert Exhibition Associates is former associate director for the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of the American Indian in Washington and previously was director of exhibitions for the National Museum of American Art.

Volkert said one of his first tasks is to convince the public that the Cradle isn't going to crash and burn. "One of the things I want to do is increase the visibility in the public eye because there's anxiety out there. I want to dispel that. And the way to do that is to show a certain vitality. We're going to be increasing the number of events."

Because the Cradle has not attracted many repeat visitors, Volkert said the institution has to draw more than "propellerheads" who have a hard-core interest in airplanes. "We are looking at traveling exhibitions and changing exhibitions," he said. "We also need to look at ways to integrate science more fully into the permanent exhibition." Volkert also wants to look into ways to use the IMAX theater and atrium more when the museum is closed to generate revenue and interest and investigate the possibility of showing feature films.

"I'm looking at the kind of collaborations we can do on Museum Row rather than thinking of these as independent organizations," Volkert said. He said he would like to see joint ticketing and other cooperation between the Cradle and the Long Island Children's Museum and Francis X. Pendl Nassau County Firefighters Museum and Education Center so families will view Mitchel Field as a destination for daylong visits. Eventually, Volkert would like to see the museums connected by a corridor so visitors can move between them without going outside.

Financially, Volkert said there will be an increased emphasis on seeking state and federal grants because "that's something this museum has not done to a great degree."

Nassau Chief Deputy County Executive Christopher Hahn said "from all we've seen so far, he's going to provide exactly the kind of direction and vision that the Cradle and Museum Row will benefit from."

Wow, I haven't been called a propeller-head in ages http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/126746105-S.jpg

mirrodie
2007-01-31, 09:22 PM
That is great news! I really hope this is the JATO they need to get the museum up to its full potential!