PDA

View Full Version : Save the last CV-880! Can you help?

FlyingColors
2007-01-29, 11:09 PM
Nope, its not a joke.

I thought some of you might want an update on ship #13 that's in danger of being scrapped.

As far as we know its the only complete CV-880 left!

2 private collectors are teaming up to attempt to relocate ship 13 to northern NJ, to be on display as a museum piece.

As of now we are attempting to make this happen. However we need some volunteers in assistance to dismantle and reassemble the wings, engines and tail. We have professionals that know how to do this but we could use some helping hands.

Donations are welcome of course as we could really use them.

We have transportation issues in which we are working with several riggers.
Anyone with the equipment to move this plane is more then welcome to contact the collectors.
Media coverage is assured for the rigger in exchange for reduced fee services, thanks to a relationship with a NY news reporter.

Were not offering any 100% guarantees that we can save this plane. However we are going to give this our very best shot!

Any serious inquiries offering help are welcome.

moose135
2007-01-29, 11:32 PM
Is that the one in TWA markings that's down at Atlantic City? Where is it going to be moved to?

FlyingColors
2007-01-29, 11:49 PM
Yes, that's the one.

Its still in the works where its going, might even go in someones large private back yard :shock:

SengaB
2007-01-30, 12:17 AM
Awsome aircraft..
http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?offset=0&where=search|Convair%20CV-880|-2|-2|-2||90|3|||||||Convair%20CV-880|-2|-2|-2|||90|1||-2|625||||all|2||||||-2|||1|||||||&newsort=1
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/cv880.jpg
I was under the assumtion that they moved the plane and were preparing it for a move is this not the case anymore?
Senga

Nonstop2AUH
2007-01-30, 03:31 PM
The 'starstream' colors are awesome and would look great when restored, probably would be the last plane in the world with that TWA livery. Sure hope she can be saved. I don't have any useful skills to offer to the move or restoration but I'd certainly pay to see it when it's open...I'll bet most here (and on a.net, etc.) would too...

T-Bird76
2007-01-30, 04:33 PM
There are few TWA 880s still in their full colors in Mojave with no plans of scaping them.

RICHELIEU
2007-01-31, 01:00 AM
No, this is not correct. All of those 880s that sat in Mojave were scraped a few years ago. There is one still out there, however, it is not complete. Ship 13 is the only complete 880 Turbo Jet Smoker left in it's original form right down to it's TWA finish. This plane must be saved, for what it once was, for TWA, for Howard Hughes, for Convair and for us. The 880 has important history to it and we are going to do whatever we can to save ship 13 from the junkyard.

T-Bird76
2007-01-31, 12:29 PM
No, this is not correct. All of those 880s that sat in Mojave were scraped a few years ago. There is one still out there, however, it is not complete. Ship 13 is the only complete 880 Turbo Jet Smoker left in it's original form right down to it's TWA finish. This plane must be saved, for what it once was, for TWA, for Howard Hughes, for Convair and for us. The 880 has important history to it and we are going to do whatever we can to save ship 13 from the junkyard.

Dude I was there last March and took some pics of three TWA 880s that are still there and intact.

RICHELIEU
2007-01-31, 04:56 PM
Trust me, ship 13 is the last 100% complete 880 that has never been messed with right down to the magazines behind the seats and the TWA soap and dishes. It's also the only one left that has a chance to fly again. All the 880s in Mojave were scrapped except for two because they belong to private owners. One has non TWA markings. It was painted for use in a movie and important parts are missing. At this time, the nose is going to be removed and is sold, so whats left of the plane will be parted out soon. There is one more in Mojave that is in pieces. Those two may be the ones you remember from last year. This 880 has been cut up and pieced back together somewhat, but it's only good for scrap. If you push up against it, the plane will fall apart. The body of another one is now a bar and the Elvis plane is on display but can never fly again because it was pieced back together just for display. Ship 13 is in trouble. As of today, I got a call that an offer came in from a scrapper and he may take it. The scrap will be sent to China. At this point, $75,000 takes the plane. The trouble comes with taking the plane apart for shipping and the cost of the shipping itself. It would almost pay to have the plane put back in flying order and just fly it out of that yard! I know someone who knows this plane and he said it can be done for around $100,000 to $150,000.

PhilDernerJr
2007-01-31, 05:07 PM
Great info, RICHELIEU. Welcome to the site!!

SengaB
2007-01-31, 09:08 PM
If you have shots tommy post them thx.

The shot I posted is Ship 13.
I thought there was one left as well.
Senga

Tom_Turner
2007-02-01, 06:31 PM
Well ironically the other Convair 880 at ACY had its tail chopped in an effort to save it. I believe it was to be paired up with one of the Mohave examples to be saved.

Still, a worthly effort to save this one.

Isn't there still one 990 at Mohave and some group trying to save it?

Tom

tipek
2007-02-02, 05:22 PM
What about Convair parked in front of Elvis Presley's house? To me it looked like it was in one piece.
I'll post pictures of this baby later tonight.

Rafal

Tom_Turner
2007-02-02, 05:33 PM
TCB.... I believe its still there.

What about Convair parked in front of Elvis Presley's house? To me it looked like it was in one piece.
I'll post pictures of this baby later tonight.

Rafal

RICHELIEU
2007-02-02, 05:55 PM
Hello there plane fans.... Thank you for all your interest and emails about saving the 880. The Elvis 880 is not 100% complete and it could never fly again for two reasons. One, it's at his home on display for good and two, it was cut up for shipping and put back together for display only. It could never get into the air again and the same is true for the other two 880s out west. The nose is all that is left of ship 3 in AC next to ship 13. The rest of 3 was scrapped last spring. Ship 13 is the only chance we have to see an 880 fly again. It could be done and we need alot of help and a lot of people to back us up and plenty of funding. I am working on every idea we come up with, however, time is running out. The plane needs to be moved on now. If this does not happen soon, we will be forced to scrap it. A company in China will buy the plane for scrap now. I have a place to park it and it should be free parking! The trouble is the cost of taking it apart the correct way and then the shipping cost comes in. HELP HELP! We can do this if we work together.. Any 880 fans that really want to get involved, please let me know. Best in luck because we really need it!

hiss srq
2007-02-02, 06:01 PM
From the shipping side of things I beleive that I could be of some sort of assistance. My parents are pretty far up the ladder in the Freight Forwarding biz and have plenty of contacts. PM me with contact information

tipek
2007-02-03, 12:24 AM
As promissed here are my shots of N880EP taken two days ago. (Full photoreport in Spotting section of NYCA)

Elvis Presley's private baby
Convair CV-880
http://home.comcast.net/~tipek/epconv880.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~tipek/epconv8802.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~tipek/epconv8803.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~tipek/epconv8804.jpg

Rafal

727C47
2007-02-03, 08:22 AM
it would be truly amazing if someone did a Travolta, and restored this 880 to flying condition, in their prime,they were the loudest and dirtiest airplanes in the sky, the last one I saw was a FAA ship flying into JFK in the early 80's. I remember the earth shaking roar of those TWA 880's on the Canarsie approach in the 60's.

RICHELIEU
2007-02-03, 09:06 PM
Time is running out for 13. Come on guys, it's not as hard as you think. If everyone puts out a little money, I can pull it all together. Think about what you will be doing! One of the most important airplanes in history is about to go down to China in boxes! This is the last complete CV 800 that has a chance of flying ever again. Write me if you really want to get involved and I'll tell you how much we need and where we can store this wonderful old smoker! :cry: :( :D :cry: :P It's been up and down. One day we have a group who want to save the plane and say yes and the next day they back out because they do not know where to even begin. Well I know just how to take this on, however, I, like everyone else I guess is low on funds! What is about to happen really stinks! :idea: :idea: