PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Howard Beach

brontis5
2007-01-19, 01:30 PM
Hello, I would like to start off by saying I have been to Howard Beach once to do some spotting, but I was driving a rental car to get to the spots. I was a little confused and did not find the exact "beach" mentioned in the spotting map's directions. I pulled over and took a few shots while walking down the sidewalk on Cross Bay BLVD. I was just wondering exactly what street do you turn right, then go straight to park. Also, since I do not have a car and cannot rent one every weekend I want to go out I was thinking of taking the train to the bus and getting off Cross Bay BLVD to make it to Howard Beach. Basically my main question is how I could tell if the planes would be taking off or landing over Howard Beach? I am still very new to the technical end of all of this and would really appreciate and information. Thanks, Brian

Tom_Turner
2007-01-19, 03:46 PM
Hi Brian.

When in Howard Beach proper, you need to drive or walk over the first bridge going straingt on Cross Bay Blvd and crossing over water (Jamaica Bay obviouly).

Once over that (1st) bridge you are obviously on a different land mass and you will immediately see a parking lot/rest area on either side of the road at the first light. That is generally the shooting area...

If aircraft are departing 31L, many of the heavies will past you..the lighter traffic will tend to "turn early", but you will see this either way.

There are very helpful spotter's maps on this site.. Take a look.

Hope this helps,
Tom

brontis5
2007-01-23, 10:00 AM
Tom, thanks. Your description is abit more helpful. I will keep it in mind the next time I can make it out to Howard Beach. Take care, Brian