PDA

View Full Version : American Recalls Furloughed Pilots, Returning 19 757s

Matt Molnar
2007-01-11, 02:04 PM
Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/industries/airlines/stories/DN-aapilots_10bus.ART.State.Edition1.30fde82.html):

Group of 11 furloughed pilots is first recalled by American

09:31 AM CST on Wednesday, January 10, 2007

By TERRY MAXON / The Dallas Morning News

American Airlines Inc. has called 11 pilots back to work, making them the first furloughed pilots to be recalled since layoffs began more than five years ago.

To get the initial 11 pilots, American extended recall offers to about 80 furloughed pilots, Ms. Gordon said, with the others declining recall or deferring a decision.

The carrier has said it expects to reduce its capacity about 1 percent in 2007.

It plans to return 19 Boeing 757s to their owners as the aircrafts' leases expire, beginning this month.

T-Bird76
2007-01-11, 02:13 PM
The 19 757s are former TWA 757s, which most are going to Delta now. To bad the TWA 75s are much nicer then the AA 75s which are sardine cans.

Alex T
2007-01-11, 02:24 PM
The 19 757s are former TWA 757s, which most are going to Delta now. To bad the TWA 75s are much nicer then the AA 75s which are sardine cans.

Agreed, the ex TWA 757 was one bird i went out of my way to ride on everytime I saw it on the schedule.

Alex

cancidas
2007-01-11, 03:39 PM
do those TWA birds still have the TWA interior or have they been removed and replaced with the AA interior? i tend to stay away from american when i fly...

JZ1
2007-01-11, 04:25 PM
What's so good about these TW 757? Can you guys give some examples?

hiss srq
2007-01-11, 04:33 PM
Pratt power, EX TWA, winglets soon on them, oh and did I mention that TWA owned them? Other than that they are just regular old boeing rocket ships really.... If you ask Tommy though he might say that being former TWA birds they carry a holy sheild granting the ability to always be on time, go slightly faster, higher, and make you smarter but I think in a last ditch effort to save the airline they might have sold that magic power to Holiday Inn Express.

T-Bird76
2007-01-11, 05:17 PM
Pratt power, EX TWA, winglets soon on them, oh and did I mention that TWA owned them? Other than that they are just regular old boeing rocket ships really.... If you ask Tommy though he might say that being former TWA birds they carry a holy sheild granting the ability to always be on time, go slightly faster, higher, and make you smarter but I think in a last ditch effort to save the airline they might have sold that magic power to Holiday Inn Express.

What the hell kind of cryptic explanation is that? There's nothing special about them, other then they are much newer then AA's 757s and the interiors are much nicer. The one thing I like about the TW dub 757s are the split coach cabin. Gives you a bit more room to get up and stretch.

hiss srq
2007-01-11, 06:18 PM
Wow i was expecting that flame thrower easy there Tommy it was a joke.

LGA777
2007-01-11, 06:30 PM
I've flown on these birds several times when they where still TWA and several times since they became property of AA. Decides some of the above mentioned differences they have the drop down Airbus style video screens whereas the original AA birds have the standard 737/757 style ceiling mounted monitors. Surprisingly AA never changed the look of the interiors, they still fully reflect their TWA heritage, even the galley carts still proudly say TWA ! The only dislike I have is I find the coach seats to be hard.

Regards

LGA777