PDA

View Full Version : LGA road rage incident?

mirrodie
2007-01-10, 11:26 AM
Did this affect the airport directly yesterday or flights for that matter?

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-nyshot105046651jan10,0,3424089.story?coll=ny-nynews-print
Traffic stop turns deadly
BILL MASON

January 10, 2007

An off-duty New York State correction officer shot and killed a man last night near LaGuardia Airport after an apparent traffic dispute, police said.

The 36-year-old Queens man was shot once in the chest about 7 p.m. at the Grand Central Parkway service road and 94th Street, police said. He was taken to Elmhurst Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead.

The correction officer, traveling with a woman and child, was stopped behind another vehicle at a red light, police said. After the light changed, the correction officer, whose name was not released, honked his horn to get the vehicle in front to move, police said. Two men got out of the vehicle and approached the correction officer's car, police said.

One shot was fired by the officer, and the two men ran off, police said, but one man was able to run only a short distance before collapsing with a bullet wound to his chest. The second man was taken into custody by police for questioning.

No charges were filed last night.

hiss srq
2007-01-10, 02:58 PM
The Grand Central and Van Wyck were backed up like a sewer drain for a while

heeshung
2007-01-10, 04:24 PM
Just listening to 1010WINS and they reported that no charges will be filed against the officer since police said the shot seemed justified. The man that wasn't shot that shouted to shoot the officer is charged with assault.

G-BOAD
2007-01-10, 04:39 PM
This is scary, because it hits so close to home for most of us. This is a spot i like to go on weekends, and take photos of planes landing. And now a person was shot and killed here.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-01-10, 05:06 PM
From what I read, which I'm sure is definately not the whole story, it does seem that officer shooting this guy was justified. I probably would have done the same thing, especially if a perp was telling his buddies to "shoot the cop". As far as air traffic, I doubt it was affected. The incident didn't happen on airport property, or didn't put anyone or anything in immediate danger (after the perp was shot and killed and the police responsed).

RDU-JFK
2007-01-10, 05:11 PM
Is this the same bit of road where the Q48 bus runs (where the Marriott is), or am I way off?

USAF Pilot 07
2007-01-10, 06:41 PM
From what I gathered it is around the bus stop right near the Grand Central where the last transfer between the M60 (to Manhattan), Q48 (to Flushing) and Q33 (to Jackson Heights) is.
For example, if you're at Landing Lights Park, continue north on 94th Street (NOT the road that runs adjacent to Planeview Park) and cross over the Grand Central, and you'd pretty much be right there.

On a related note, I've waited for the bus many a times on that corner, and always see a lot of Corrections Vehicles, or vehicles with Corrections Officers in them, so I'm not all too surprised a Corrections Officer was involved in the incident.

cancidas
2007-01-10, 07:00 PM
The Grand Central and Van Wyck were backed up like a sewer drain for a while

dude, when aren't they backed up? aside from that the NYPD and PAPD closed off the 94th st entrance to the airport for a while.