PDA

View Full Version : The problem with our schools

T-Bird76
2007-01-04, 12:31 PM
I was reading this story this morning and it just got me sick to my stomach. The actions of the East Meadow school district are a clear example of what's wrong with our school system, piss poor leadership. The Principle and Vice Principle should be fired for their actions plan and simple. This is another legacy of Bush's BS education plan "No child left behind." If you are going to promote inclusion for special needs students then the dam leaders of the school need to know the needs of the children. I really hope this family sues the hell out of the school district.

Cops called when deaf student brings dog to school

BY CARL MACGOWAN
Newsday Staff Writer

January 3, 2007, 11:16 PM EST

A deaf Westbury boy's attempt to bring his assistance dog to school Wednesday resulted in an exchange of harsh words when police were called, the boy's mother said.

No arrests were made, but Nancy Cave said her son, John, was shaken by the incident. Still, she is planning to have her son and the dog attend school together today -- with or without permission from East Meadow School District officials.

"This is emotionally traumatic for him. He doesn't want to go to school," Cave said of her 14-year-old son, who picked up the dog last week from a Massachusetts training center. "All I wanted to do was give my son one more step toward independence."

The Caves are locked in a long-running battle with East Meadow officials over whether John can bring the dog, Simba, to W. Tresper Clarke High School, where John attends ninth grade. School officials previously had told the family that John doesn't need the dog to attend classes. The Caves believe John and Simba must bond around the clock so that the dog can work most effectively as an assistance dog, trained to alert a deaf child to potential danger such as fire or smoke alarms and cars.

The Caves should obtain permission from the district's committee on special education before bringing the dog to school, East Meadow Superintendent Robert Dillon said Wednesday.

"There is a process, and there are protocols and we just wish that they would be followed," he said.

Nancy Cave and her son wanted to acclimate Simba to the school Wednesday morning before classes started. When they entered the building, Cave said, officials asked her to leave and called Nassau County police.

"We were sort of verbally accosted by the principal and the assistant principal," she said. She admitted using vulgar language while talking to Principal Timothy Voels.

"I felt harassed, I felt intimidated, I felt they were stalking me," she said. "Even though I said two bad things, I felt threatened."

Dillon declined comment on the incident. A police spokesman confirmed the incident but added, "It's not a police matter."

At her request, Nancy Cave said, police researched laws governing assistance dogs, and then she took John and Simba home. State law says public facilities cannot bar disabled people with service dogs, while federal law requires facilities to change policies banning service animals.

Simba obeyed orders from John during the visit, Nancy Cave said.

"He behaved himself impeccably," she said, "which is more than can be said for the adults, including myself, I might add."

The Caves received support from students and some teachers, Nancy Cave said. She said she did not tell officials that she planned to return today with Simba.
Copyright 2007 Newsday Inc.

hiss srq
2007-01-04, 06:12 PM
Its a shame that that school has slipped so. My dad and a bunch of my aunts and uncles went to high school there.... Now that name is tarnished

nwafan20
2007-01-04, 07:01 PM
The schools in this country need a total makeover. They have been bad way before "No Child Left Behind" which doesn't really have anything to do with this.

If it were up to me, I would start by getting rid of all the unions, they hold the schools back so much, I would make sure teachers got a fair pay for the work they do.

I would make it more of a free market, where schools have to compete to get students (I.E. students can go to several schools of their choosing) that way the teachers and schoold would try a lot harder.

It is just all screwed up, and this story is another example of it!