PDA

View Full Version : 1 Year Ago Today - Southwest Airlines Flight 1248

N790SW
2006-12-08, 03:58 PM
It was a year ago today that Southwest Airlines flight 1248 created a chaotic scene on that street near MDW airport.The plane killed a young boy.

As a Southwest Airlines fan and an aviation enthusiast - I would like to ask anyone even if you hate WN to take a moment of silence to show respect for that kid and his family whom this accident did have an effect on, as well as the two guys up front and anyone else involved in this accident, especially during this time of year.

Here is a good point though to ask , because of this accident , do you think it changed anything about procedures for these types of scenarios in which to prevent something like this again?

nwafan20
2006-12-08, 04:30 PM
Changes are already coming into effect, someone posted an article about how the TSA is urging airlines to follow the FAA's new suggestions on calculating needed runway distance (Not calculating thrust reverse rs into the equation)

T-Bird76
2006-12-08, 04:49 PM
Changes are already coming into effect, someone posted an article about how the TSA is urging airlines to follow the FAA's new suggestions on calculating needed runway distance (Not calculating thrust reverse rs into the equation)

The TSA? The TSA has nothing to do with runway distance or flight operations other then security... Where did that come from? Are you sure its not the NTSB?

mirrodie
2006-12-08, 05:30 PM
That was the first thing I thought when I read that. The TSA?

Gotta be an error.

GrummanFan
2006-12-08, 05:43 PM
http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4449

TSA, NTSB, same difference.

nwafan20
2006-12-08, 06:06 PM
Whoops, sorry. I was listening to a song (Leaving on a Jetplane, revised TSA version) and I typed what I heard, yeah, sorry about that.

PHL Approach
2006-12-08, 06:30 PM
The NTSB also has nothing to do with regulations. The FAA would enforce the new LD restrictions.

Alex T
2006-12-08, 11:32 PM
Anyway...

Yes, It is hard to imagine it was a year ago. While this crash was not a horrendous crash, no major amount of people were killed, it still affected one family, the family of Josh who was unfortunatly killed, the company of Southwest Airlines and their friends and family, who before never had a fatal incident occur on their watch, and those like Bobby and myself who are devoted fans of SWA.

I remember Tom had messaged me to let me know about it, I flipped on the tv, and watched like most others had I am sure.

The only personal effect it had to me was I myself flew on Flight 1248, 3 weeks before it had the incident, simply an eerie coincedence, but one none the less and one I couldn't shake out of my head for awhile.

My flight went fine, unfortunatly this one did not.

Southwest will, or did have a moment of silence for tonights incident.

Alex