PDA

View Full Version : JFK heavies

nikon50bigma
2006-12-05, 08:46 PM
Hi, im just starting spotting again.
i've shot at a couple of airshows over the summer.
But I would like to start spoting around JFK again.
I have a D50 and a bigma lens.
When is the best time of day to go to JFK to spot the heavies landing?

T-Bird76
2006-12-05, 09:07 PM
Most of the Euro heavies come in from 1PM on to dusk.

nikon50bigma
2006-12-05, 09:10 PM
k thx is the any type of rush hour at JFK? like 3pm?

T-Bird76
2006-12-05, 09:14 PM
From 3PM on it gets very busy, problem is this time of year you have no light. If June isn't a hot hazy month that is the best time to maximize your chances of getting all the birds you want with the best sky conditions.

nikon50bigma
2006-12-05, 09:39 PM
so what about during the winter time lets say on a sunday when are the busiest times?

NIKV69
2006-12-05, 09:43 PM
If you can get out during the week the morning brings some nice heavies. Singapore, Thai, TAM, Korean, Air France and various other cargo stuff. Plus the light is awesome.

Art at ISP
2006-12-05, 09:46 PM
I thought you were talking about "people of size" flying out of Kennedy--like those who now have to buy 2 seats on US Air.

nikon50bigma
2006-12-05, 11:31 PM
no i ment size of aircraft

PhilDernerJr
2006-12-06, 10:13 AM
Welcome to the site, nikon50bigma!

uplander
2006-12-06, 03:33 PM
Hey nikon50bigma, welcome.

I've got the same camera. There aren't too many Nikonians around here.

Er... excuse the ignorance, but what's this bigma you have? (No personal question intended :oops: .) Some sort of Sigma lens?

NIKV69
2006-12-06, 03:44 PM
There aren't too many Nikonians around here.

I beg to differ! We are here we just don't make as much noise as the Canon people.

As best as my memory serves me the following here are Nikonians.

Myself
Art Brett (AAGOLD)
Mike M (Mikephotos)
Josh Akbar (jakbar)
Mike Primamore (Flyingcolors)
Winglets747
Matt Celmer (Cancidas)
Tommy Alfano (t-bird76) He owns a D200 but thinks it's a 30D.

So don't worry you are not alone!

moose135
2006-12-06, 03:58 PM
I beg to differ! We are here we just don't make as much noise as the Canon people.

I don't know Nick, you make enough noise for the whole crowd :D

And don't be dissing our 30Ds

T-Bird76
2006-12-06, 04:29 PM
There aren't too many Nikonians around here.

As best as my memory serves me the following here are Nikonians.

Myself
Art Brett (AAGOLD)
Mike M (Mikephotos)
Josh Akbar (jakbar)
Mike Primamore (Flyingcolors)
Winglets747
Matt Celmer (Cancidas)
Tommy Alfano (t-bird76) He owns a D200 but thinks it's a 30D.

So don't worry you are not alone!

If Sam Chui switched to a Pentax Nick would switch! LOLOL

Oh I think there are more Canon users then you Nikon folks..

Me
Phil
Moose
Fred (Nick you will bow to Fred!!!)
Brian
Eric
John
Matt
Mel on behalf of Phil, LOL :wink:
Senga
Josh May (soon to be NY)
Tom Turner
Fred's son
Mario's soon to be born baby
My new Godson
The crazy woman who harasses Senga

All Canon users!!!! Nick you must accept this!

On a serious note though the Canon Nikon debate is like the Boeing vs. Airbus debate. Both are good products that will take fantastic pictures.

Any chance though to bust on Nick I'll take! LOL

NIKV69
2006-12-06, 04:50 PM
If Sam Chui switched to a Pentax Nick would switch! LOLOL

I would! Pentax is not all the bad.

Hey the heavy hitters in this hobby choose Nikon what can I say!

I mean let's look at two of the biggest..

Sam Chui
AirNikon (R.I.P.)

Both Nikon users!

me

You only use Canon because Phil does! If Phil used Fuji finepix you would buy one!

Fred (Nick you will bow to Fred!!!)

I always bow to Fred! Fred is the man!

Fred's son

Last time Fred's son touched something made by Canon he threw it in a lake! What does that tell you!

Mellyrose
2006-12-06, 04:54 PM
Ahahahahahahahahaha.....gasps for air....ahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!

PhilDernerJr
2006-12-06, 05:07 PM
Nick, why RIP for AirNikon? He didn't actually pass away, did he?

As for cameras, I hear Chui officially switched to the not-to-be-outdone Kodak Max.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/64/Kodak-Max-Outdoor-Camera-Promotional.jpg/200px-Kodak-Max-Outdoor-Camera-Promotional.jpg

Ari707
2006-12-06, 05:09 PM
even though I don't take many shots anymore I have been Nikon for years started with an F3 and now on D-70

fly.mcs
2006-12-06, 06:53 PM
Hey, don't forget me.

I shoot with the Nikon D70.

nikon50bigma
2006-12-06, 07:36 PM
well i am a proud nikon owner.
And the bigma that i own is a Sigma 50-500 lens
Thats the flag ship of the camera equipment.
How often does JFK see the 777-300?

T-Bird76
2006-12-06, 07:54 PM
well i am a proud nikon owner.
And the bigma that i own is a Sigma 50-500 lens
Thats the flag ship of the camera equipment.
How often does JFK see the 777-300?

Everyday by Emirates, Air France and ANA.

nikon50bigma
2006-12-06, 08:16 PM
around what times about? are the mound still a good place to shoot from?

mikephotos
2006-12-06, 08:21 PM
Nick, why RIP for AirNikon? He didn't actually pass away, did he?

I guess you didn't hear, Mike (AirNikon) passed away a few days ago. What a great guy, had the pleasure to hang with him a few years back.

Mike

NIKV69
2006-12-06, 09:47 PM
Everyday by Emirates, Air France and ANA.

I have seen the ANA arrive morning. The Emirates comes and goes early. I got her tuesday at bayswater but not sure if the quality is there. The Air France lands late morning if I remember right.

Iberia A340-600
2006-12-06, 10:11 PM
around what times about? are the mound still a good place to shoot from?

ANA and Emirates arrive in the morning. Emirates departs in the morning while the ANA departs around 13:00.

The Air France 777-300ER arrives around 15:30.

nikon50bigma
2006-12-07, 07:03 PM
is the mounds still a godd place to stop at?

Iberia A340-600
2006-12-07, 07:34 PM

If they are using the 22's, yes. The mounds are especially good in the winter because the light is better and there are no bugs.

mikephotos
2006-12-07, 09:50 PM

If they are using the 22's, yes. The mounds are especially good in the winter because the light is better and there are no bugs.

Actually, ideal lighting for 22's (afternoon) would be summer. Winter sun does not go far enough around for me. By the time the light starts getting good for winter 22's it's turning yellow and you start losing f-stops quickly. Mornings however are perfect in the winter until about 10a-11am or so but not from the mounds of course.

Mike

NIKV69
2006-12-07, 09:58 PM
Mornings however are perfect in the winter until about 10a-11am or so but not from the mounds of course.

Yep, you have to shoot from my suicide spot but Mike is right the light is absolutely perfect to shoot.

nikon50bigma
2006-12-08, 12:28 AM
could someone explain to me where is his "suscide" spot and why he calls it that?

NIKV69
2006-12-08, 12:46 AM
could someone explain to me where is his "suscide" spot and why he calls it that?

It's the lot on Rockaway right where 22L crosses the road on the south side. You have to park in the Pizza Hut lot and walk to it. The name "Suicide spot" was Senga's take on the spot when I told him about it, figuring the enforcers would come take me away but I have never had a problem there. (Just don't park there) :mrgreen:

It is strictly a morning spot for 22L arrivals and the light couldn't be better. Here is some examples of what you can get from there.

http://www1.airliners.net/open.file/1133585/L/

http://www1.airliners.net/open.file/1133584/L/

Deltafan2006
2006-12-15, 10:51 AM
FROM 3 TO 6PM JFK GETS REALLY BUSY

nikon50bigma
2006-12-15, 10:09 PM
How is the spot near costco, I have read the thing about costco in the "spotting areas". But from personal experience how is the costco area? Do alot of people stare and become suspicious ?

hiss srq
2006-12-15, 10:12 PM
It is pretty good. Got back from there a few hours ago. I OWNED a Dash-8 in great light and will post later.

moose135
2006-12-15, 10:24 PM
Costco is a great place to spot, been there many times. If you are around on the water side, with the fishermen, no one pays much attention to you. If you are around the other side of the building, you may get a few looks, and I've had the police called a couple of times, but NCPD in the area are getting used to us, so they usually just check us out and let us stay.

T-Bird76
2006-12-15, 10:30 PM
The side where the water is, is much better then the other sie. The other side you have power lines to deal with and for the most part you can get a boring side profile shot. One the waterside you can get a nice coming at you shot which does a nice job of showing the lines of the plane. As Josh May puts it Costocesq shots, lol

NIKV69
2006-12-16, 06:01 AM
Costco is nice and if you go there on a regular basis you will get a police visit. Just show your ID and tell them exactly what you are doing and they go on their way. I don't know if you have car but the lot across the street near Pizza Hut is much better. Only thing is you have to shoot at first light very early. If you position yourself right you can get great light effects. I shot this there a little while back.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1122750/L/

Tommy has been chased from there but I never have had a problem. Again carry your ID and just act normal. Also the parking lot at the Firestone just east of costco is good too but you have to catch the light right and you have less room for error because of power lines. You have less time to snap the pic before the power lines are in the way. I got this there. I think it's nicer than the costco angle you get.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0973730/L/

I have gotten approached there too. Once from a civilian who was a complete dick. I shot him a dirty look and gave him a nasty answer and he left, NCPD arrived shortly and were fine. Again just be honest and show your ID.

nikon50bigma
2006-12-16, 10:57 AM
when the police ask what I am doing what do I tell them?
I know this might be a ridicilous questions but I just don't want the encounter to turn out to be something worse thatn it would usually be.
Do the fishermen ever say anything?

moose135
2006-12-16, 01:52 PM
Just be honest if approached by the police. Let them know that this is a hobby that you enjoy, whether you are an aviation enthusiast, photographer, etc. The worst thing you can do is lie to the boys in blue. As long as you are straight with them, the worst thing they can do (if you are on private property) is ask you to leave. If you are in a public park, they can't even legally do that. Depending on who shows up, they may try to intimidate you, telling you it's illegal to take photos of aircraft ("Since 9/11..." is a favorite tactic). There are no such laws, especially concerning civil aircraft.

Take a look at the Spotter Blotter forum. I've had a number of encounters, and for the most part they have gone well. Be honest, polite and professional with the police, and they will normally do the same.

nikon50bigma
2006-12-16, 04:49 PM
thanks, I might be going therw with my freind who is Albanian do you think they might exploit that?
Even if I tell them the truth is their a possiblity they might bring me down to the station?

hiss srq
2006-12-16, 05:21 PM
I am Albanian and they certainly do not mess with me but than again I usually keep my badges on me so yeah but if a cop brought your freind to the station on that basis I would be there bring he double hockey sticks on those morons....

nikon50bigma
2006-12-16, 05:22 PM
Is the costco spot ok at around 3pm (lighting wise)?
And is it a shady neighborhood?

hiss srq
2006-12-16, 05:25 PM
Its okay the new manager tried to chase us out today but that is another story quite funny actually. The whole part of being Shqiptar is not an issue though

T-Bird76
2006-12-16, 07:46 PM
Its okay the new manager tried to chase us out today but that is another story quite funny actually. The whole part of being Shqiptar is not an issue though

Ryan where were you when they tried to chase you out? Also what do you mean "tried?" Did they make you leave or were you able to stay? The full story would be nice for the rest of the group being all of use Costco. Its my expirence when you are along the edge near the water they leave you be with the fisherman.

SP-LPB
2006-12-16, 07:49 PM
I(Jakub) use a 10D! :o A CANON 10D

hiss srq
2006-12-16, 07:51 PM
Some guy came out and said the "new" manager wanted us to leave or the police would be called.... We stayed about another 20 minutes and decided to leave because the light sucked anyhow but I think Mike M. made a call to solve that issue.

Iberia A340-600
2006-12-16, 08:15 PM
Some guy came out and said the "new" manager wanted us to leave or the police would be called.... We stayed about another 20 minutes and decided to leave because the light sucked anyhow but I think Mike M. made a call to solve that issue.

Like Tommy asked, were you over by the water or somewhere else in the parking lot?

hiss srq
2006-12-16, 08:19 PM
by the water same old spot as usual

nikon50bigma
2006-12-16, 08:31 PM
well I have spotted at JFK once it was only by the mounds but that was back in April, Could someone describe the costco area- where you are shotting from there, are you on a peir w/ the fishermen?

SengaB
2006-12-16, 08:38 PM
Costco, just like evey other spot in the NYC airports carries a certain level of risk. Some more than others. Thats just how things are here. Any place where people can see you can almost guarantee you a meeting with enforcment at some point down the line. The thing about Costco is that since the lcoals spend so much time there that some of the customers are used to seeing us. But it takes just one I'll informed person to ruine your day. As others have stated Costco is hit or miss. Sometimes you don't get harrassed sometimes you do, sometimes its a pleasant experience and sometimes not. Its the luck of the draw. Costco has occasionally been a place for under cover officers to keep an eye out. Myself and another photog have had some experience with them 2 times at Costco.
Someone mentioned the "D" Word..Detainment it happens once in a while not often though. I hope those days are behind us now.

Senga

nikon50bigma
2006-12-16, 09:09 PM
Do you think its still possible to be detained?
But by the terd "shady" I ment is it a bad neighborhood?

Iberia A340-600
2006-12-16, 09:48 PM
Do you think its still possible to be detained?
But by the terd "shady" I ment is it a bad neighborhood?

Costco is not in a shady area at all.

Another good spot towards the end of the day is Burger King which is right near Costco.

However both places are private property so it would be wise to listen to what they say. Burger King has been very friendly in the past.

jakbar
2006-12-16, 11:11 PM
As has been stated, we were in the usual spot, and we were explicitly asked to leave by a Costco representative, who told us that it was private property and that the "new store manager" did not want us there. He said that they were ready to call "Nassau" (i.e., Nassau P.D.) to assist with getting us to leave. In all my time shooting at Costco, this is the first time that a Costco representative has asked us to leave. I just hope this is not the beginning of a trend.

SengaB
2006-12-16, 11:19 PM
Maybe the "New Represenative" isn't familair with the hobby?
This isn't a good sign... I would hope some of the workers there would bring this person up to speed as to what goes on.
Senga

NIKV69
2006-12-16, 11:28 PM
Well by Mike M do you mean Mike McLaughin? As I have said before usually the big groups at this spot are going to attract the most attention but it's like anything else. We lasted 2 hours at the IKEA lot at EWR today and that is unheard of and when the police asked us to leave he was quite understanding and let us know that is was IKEA that wanted us to leave so you just leave and let things die down. I suggest we take this approach and try not to go back there with a big group for a little while because if this is in fact a new manager with an axe to grind we can say goodbye to that spot forever.

SengaB
2006-12-16, 11:29 PM
Nick did you run into any problems today at EWR?
Did you manage to get the NWA A330?
The last thing Mario said was you guys were gonna do a "suicide run" :)
Senga

jakbar
2006-12-16, 11:40 PM
I suggest we take this approach and try not to go back there with a big group for a little while because if this is in fact a new manager with an axe to grind we can say goodbye to that spot forever.

I think that's exactly right...

Matt Molnar
2006-12-16, 11:48 PM
In all my time shooting at Costco, this is the first time that a Costco representative has asked us to leave. I just hope this is not the beginning of a trend.

I've never been over there, but being that it's Christmas, it might be because parking spots are scarce.

NIKV69
2006-12-16, 11:59 PM
Nick did you run into any problems today at EWR?
Did you manage to get the NWA A330?
The last thing Mario said was you guys were gonna do a "suicide run"

No not really like I said IKEA was great and I think I we made a record being there for almost two hours without incident. We screwed the dog on the NW A330. We though we had some time when you said it was in a holding pattern but when we were driving to the spot to shoot it we saw it coming in and we tried to stop right where we were but power lines and less than perfect lighting made it a total bullocks. I am hoping the guys don't steal the term 'suicide" It is reserved for my spot at Rockaway! :mrgreen:

I think that's exactly right...

Wow Josh we have agreed twice this year we are on a roll! I think Matt raised a good point. The fact it's Christmas week and a weekend may have played a role. Makes sense since I go there alone during the week and never get hassled except for a stray PO who checks me and leaves. At this point let's see if Mike M can smooth things out and lay low. I should be at JFK Wed depending on runways I will stop in there and scope it out. If anyone else attempts to shoot there before give us a update.

Iberia A340-600
2006-12-17, 12:06 AM
If 31R is in use on Monday I'll be at Costco, I'll keep you guys posted on what happens when I get back.

mikephotos
2006-12-17, 12:45 AM
It seems (no confirmation) one of the customers complained/made comments to an employee(s) and it got back to the (new) store manager. Since he's not familar with "us" he sent a worker out asking the group to leave. I spoke to my brother-in-law (ex Mgr at our Costco, now at a different location) and he said the new guy is an alright guy. I'll try to work this out. Maybe meet up with him and buy lunch :) Hopefully it shouldn't be a problem.

Mike

nikon50bigma
2006-12-17, 01:02 AM
If 31R is in use on Monday I'll be at Costco, I'll keep you guys posted on what happens when I get back.

monday is almost 1 1/2 days away how do you know 31R is going to be in use?
Also if other people go back to costco, since they told someone of this fourm to go away does that he will call the cops on "us" next anyone of us go out there?

Iberia A340-600
2006-12-17, 10:48 AM

Also if other people go back to costco, since they told someone of this fourm to go away does that he will call the cops on "us" next anyone of us go out there?

I believe I said IF 31R was in use.

NIKV69
2006-12-17, 11:13 AM

Well at this point I suggest if we do go shoot there we keep it very low profile, don't stand outside your car with you camera around your neck and leave if asked. Let Mike do his thing and give it some time.

Iberia A340-600
2006-12-17, 11:21 AM
I was thinking that if 31R was in use I might just head over to Burger King instead to avoid anymore trouble.

NIKV69
2006-12-17, 11:33 AM
I was thinking that if 31R was in use I might just head over to Burger King instead to avoid anymore trouble.

Well the light is a key issue there. If you get there very early and they are using 31R go to the Kmart lot. Much better light. If you have a car just move around and don't stay in one place for more than a half hour hour or so.

SengaB
2006-12-17, 11:41 AM
Gordon,
BK is ok and the workers usually don't mind if people shoot there. But the motel next to it....The housekeeping and customers do call the cops when they see you from the windows.

Senga

SengaB
2006-12-17, 12:09 PM
nikon50bigma,
You can use forcast data.

I use some of this stuff from time to time. With these you can check out what the models are forcasting over a week from now.

(My Fav) Used it for my storm chasing. Usefor for that new airline that you expect 5 days from now too.
Use the GFS
http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/

http://www.geocities.com/sengabutts/wxdata.html

Senga