PDA

View Full Version : My "why Macs are better than your PC" thread ;)

Mellyrose
2006-11-25, 11:46 PM
Yes, I know I'm all high and mighty now, but how can you not love Macs!?! Look at this plug in for my dashboard that I just added...and what you can't see is that the lights are twinkling.

Oh, and yes...that is a flight tracker built right into my dashboard :-P

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/dash.png

Alex T
2006-11-26, 12:19 AM
WOW That is awesome!

I am getting a macintosh Powerbook soon, within weeks. I much prefer Mac's anyway.

Alex

Iberia A340-600
2006-11-26, 12:39 AM
I can't believe you called it a Macintosh Alex, how retro! :P

moose135
2006-11-26, 01:01 AM
I prefer Whoppers to Macs...oh wait, wrong thread. But seriously, Mel, could you clutter up that screen a little more, you can almost see the forum in the background :wink:

Mellyrose
2006-11-26, 01:09 AM
Well Moose, what you're looking at in that screenshot, is the "Dashboard" which is activated when you hit F12. The xmas lights, conversion tool, calculator, etc are only there when in dashboard mode...they're all called widgets and you can download all kinds of cool things - ski reports, stocks, sports, etc...right at your fingertips ;)

Alex T
2006-11-26, 01:29 AM
I can't believe you called it a Macintosh Alex, how retro! :P

I M STILL CATCHING UP TO THE FUTURE PEOPLE!

So yes, its a cool MACINTOSH! :twisted:

mikephotos
2006-11-26, 04:29 AM
Not to downplay that lovely Mac screenie Mel but for those with Win PCs that want to have those widgets (I don't use them so not sure if they're the same/better/worse) you can get them free at: http://widgets.yahoo.com/

Mike

Matt Molnar
2006-11-26, 11:35 AM
Don't they slow everything down? Don't the twinkling lights get annoying?

Mellyrose
2006-11-26, 12:44 PM
They don't slow anything down....on a MAC that is. I'm 100% sure that if I installed all of those widgets on my PC laptop, the system resources would be eaten up in a heartbeat and it would crash into oblivion.

Also, I want to re-emphasize that this stuff isn't visable all the time, only when you hit the F12 button and activate your "dashboard" to bring up the tools....the lights are only a decoration for the dashboard, not for my whole screen all the time.

Alex T
2006-11-26, 12:49 PM
That really is awesome to see Mel.

On my mother's Mac she has a system installed where if she chooses to activate it, whenever the mouse scrolls, xmas music plays util the mouse stops moving.

Another is where she types, you might hear something or the chime of a bell ( a xmas theme).

Hey people chill, Mel is just getting into the holiday spirit, lord knows I could use some of that!

Alex

Mellyrose
2006-11-26, 01:38 PM
....and I'm 100% jewish! :?

Alex T
2006-11-26, 01:46 PM
....and I'm 100% jewish! :?

HAHAHA

See thats why I said HOLIDAY spirit, not Xmas :twisted:

That is funny though lol.

Alex

nwafan20
2006-11-26, 05:21 PM
Now lets be reasonable here, which is more functional? I say that award will go to a PC, the only reason PC's have a bad rap for being slow is because older ones last longer, unlike macs ;)

Sure macs a pretty, but when it comes down to pure functionality, PC kills mac!

http://www.boredathenians.com/uploaded_images/Mac-Crash_Different-773591.gif

;)

Mellyrose
2006-11-26, 05:38 PM
Now, I won't argue that in the past, Macs might have only been prettier than PCs, but their functionality and user-friendliness are now at least equal if not surpassing that of a PC's. I use both, I own both and from experience my opinion is that. Especially now with the dual core Intel Processors, there's really far less limits to what a Mac is capable of.

List 5 things that a PC can do that a Mac can't. I'm curious.

Matt Molnar
2006-11-26, 06:02 PM
List 5 things that a PC can do that a Mac can't. I'm curious.

Right click!

Mellyrose
2006-11-26, 06:07 PM
Lies!!!! You can hook up a Microsoft Mouse to ANY Mac (desktop or laptop) and use it, fully functional. Also, control+click=right click with a one button mouse.

HA.

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-26, 06:08 PM
Taskbar.

Mellyrose
2006-11-26, 06:19 PM
Dock=Taskbar....and then the function buttons take care of the rest.

F9: Shows ALL open windows in a cascade display (also, all and any video or moving pictures/flash, etc continues to play in these modes.)
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/F9.jpg

F10: Shows all open windows for the program currently selected.
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/F10.jpg

F11: Equivilent to the "Show Desktop" button....clears all windows immediately.
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/F11.jpg

F12: Dashboard, as illustrated in the topic starter.

Ok....now, 4 more things that a Mac can't do that a PC can't. I'll give you taskbar, since that's a personal preference for interface (though I believe there are plug-ins that allow for a Window's style taskbar)

Alex T
2006-11-26, 06:41 PM
Mel-

Do you mean program wise? (Within the computer) or anytime/anywhere?

Because one of the reasons I switched to PC was I couldn't play games on Mac's, it required an updated IE/Firefox which Mac's did not have.

2. I couldn't play music videos from websites such as launch.com on Mac's because of the same reasons.

3. MSN is crap on Mac's, mine does not recognize my webcam so I cannot use webcams on Mac's, but I can on windows.

Those were the reasons I switched.

But now like I said since I am getting a laptop, I prefer an apple for this occasion because I won't be doing that stuff on the mac laptop (or is it called powerbook?)

Alex

Mellyrose
2006-11-26, 06:46 PM
The newest Mac laptop is a Macbook (or Macbook Pro).

There are some video capabilities, mostly streaming from certain websites, that Macs aren't compatible with, but there's almost ALWAYS a plug-in or patch.

Do you mean MSN messenger? Also, I have the latest version of Firefox on my Mac....maybe it's changed since you checked it out. There are constant helpful updates for programs.

Mel-

Do you mean program wise? (Within the computer) or anytime/anywhere?

I really meant program/power/functionality wise. Not necessarily just cool little features like the dashboard.

Alex T
2006-11-26, 06:51 PM
Ahh ok, It was a year ago I checked the features out when deciding for a Windows or Apple and I decide for the functions I needed to do, a windows computer suited me better.

Yes, I did mean MSN Messenger.

I am going to an apple store in 2 weeks to look and get the Macbook then and will be sure to check out those features, my friend has the same one (which is why I wanted it because I liked the features it had) and he will help me out when I look at it.

Mel, we can have a mactinosh party once I get my macbook :P I fear, we would be the only two members haha.

Alex

Mellyrose
2006-11-26, 07:06 PM
Phil is now a closet Mac fan. I'm calling him out. The only thing he dislikes is the lack of taskbar, which can be solved by downloading a program from the FrontEnds website....OR you could just install and run bootcamp which, guess what, allows you to STARTUP your Mac in Windows mode and run it entirely as a PC. What PC can do that as a Mac?

When I turned my PC into a Mac awhile back (just made it look like it), not only didn't it act like a Mac, but it crashed my system on top of it.

Alex T
2006-11-26, 07:08 PM
What PC can do that as a Mac?

None as far as I know! :D

That really is an awesome feature to be able to do that on your PC to make it look like a mac.

Phil--Is it time to come out yet and admit your love for Mac's? ;)

Alex

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-26, 07:23 PM
Before Mel got hers, I was very anti-Mac.

But like Mel's influence on me to try Sushi and other things like cow tipping, she also turned me on to Macs....somewhat.

The taskbar thing is HUGE for me. I use a Quick Launch bar for programs on my PC (similar to Mac's Dock) and a taskbar. Calling the Mac's dock a taskbar is misleading, and it adds extra steps to getting to the one window that you might want open.

I've not seen the taskbar features Mel speaks of, but otherwise, I was very impressed with her Mac.

Iberia A340-600
2006-11-26, 08:25 PM
Hey Mel are you using a desktop of labtop?

Mellyrose
2006-11-26, 08:29 PM
I have a Macbook at home, and an iMac at work.

Iberia A340-600
2006-11-26, 08:31 PM
And the desktop your showing is from the iMac or Macbook?

hiss srq
2006-11-26, 08:47 PM
I will stick to my windows. Besides you do not have flight sims as good as Microsoft for a mac.

Mellyrose
2006-11-26, 08:53 PM
Like I said before, you can run Windows and all of it's programs 100% operational on the new Macs, so you can have your flight sims on a mac, but with better resolution and graphics!

:neiner neiner neiner:

:-P

Alex T
2006-11-26, 11:36 PM
I will stick to my windows. Besides you do not have flight sims as good as Microsoft for a mac.

Not True, ever heard of X-Plane?

I have it, and I find the flight systems are FAR more superior then to MSFS.

In flight dynamics and controls it was rated by FAA as the number one Flight sim in terms of flight sim.

Try again! ;)

Alex