PDA

View Full Version : JFK Cargo 11/25

moose135
2006-11-25, 08:17 PM
After a morning of shooting at Howard Beach, and a short stop at Costco, about 6 or 8 of us headed to the cargo area after a switch to Rwy 13L. It was quiet for about 5 or 10 minutes after our arrival when an Air China 744 came in and we all got shots. Just after she went by, Port PD showed up - two officers in separate cars, and right after them, two officers in the PAPD assault vehicle (as seen in this photo from LGA's Kids Day):

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/112768706-L.jpg

One officer got out of his car, and I approached him. He asked what we were doing, and I gave him a brief explanation of our hobby and a couple of us offered our ID. He said "You're scaring a lot of people" and said we weren't allowed to take photos. I said "There is no law against taking photos of aircraft" but he said "This is private property and they don't want you taking pictures here. You are welcome to stay and observe, but you can't take pictures."

None of the other officers got out of their vehicles, and when it was clear we were no threat, they left. The first officer made it clear that since it was a private lot, they (the owners) could decide what they allowed. We stayed about 10 minutes after he left and we left as well.

Looks like this spot is hit-or-miss. We've had Port PD called a few times, but other times we've been there several hours without incident. Clearly the folks in the building across the street called as soon as we got there, as Port PD was there minutes later (I assume the assault vehicle was just out and about, and happened to stop by - I hope they didn't roll because of us) Use caution, but don't be deterred here.

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-25, 08:21 PM
This is a location that I don't necessarily condone people going to because it IS private property.

I think the police and the property owners are/were very kind in even allowing anyone to stay there, and though one might get away with taking pictures there sometimes, it's going ot be hit or miss depending on the owner's preferences.

This is one location that if someone visits, be prepared to leave if requested and do not put up a fight with authorities or employees of the area.

moose135
2006-11-25, 08:32 PM
Absolutely Phil, I certainly agree if we are asked to leave we should. I've always said we need to know and assert our rights, but do it in a professional manner and not get into arguments with the authorities.

It's just interesting with all the limos, buses and other folks who are always parking there, we are the only ones questioned.

SengaB
2006-11-25, 08:52 PM
I'm a bit confused as to where it happend? Where was it again?
Senga

T-Bird76
2006-11-25, 09:09 PM
I'm a bit confused as to where it happened? Where was it again?
Senga

Its the Air India Cargo area right under the arrivals for 13L. I think it depends on who's working in Air India that day whether you get kicked out or not. Like Moose said there's been times we've been there for hours and no one has said a thing.

SengaB
2006-11-25, 09:23 PM
Oh ok,
Thanks form explaining. Yea that place is it or miss.

Senga

Bellucciman
2006-11-25, 09:43 PM
It's a great spot to watch the big boys fly right over you! I thought it was great until my passenger window got stuck in the down position! No more spotting after that, what a wonderful drive on the highways with a fully opened window! Good thing is wasn't too bad with the wind!
It was still good to see the guys! Plus the NYPD assault vehicle! Way too cool!

NIKV69
2006-11-26, 12:13 AM
Looks like this spot is hit-or-miss.

It's not hit or miss if you want to shoot at the cargo area a big group is a big mistake. You are going to attract attention and have exactly what happened today happen to you.

This is a location that I don't necessarily condone people going to because it IS private property.

You shoot from Burger King don't you Phil? Same difference. Any parking lot is private property. Costco too. It has nothing to do with who condones what. If you are going to that area like the Cargo area you really should keep it to a minumum # of people and stay in your car most of the time. I park in the next lot down and walk to that spot across the entrance to the cargo area. You are not in anyone's private lot and you get a lot less agro from the PA. If you are going to camp out in the Air India lot with multiple people hanging outside the car with your cameras hanging around your neck you will last 5 mins.

Like Moose said there's been times we've been there for hours and no one has said a thing.

Of course, two people laying low will be much easier. I shot in front of the Taxi stand entrance with Haack once. We didn't get bothered for awhile, and even after that the PA officer let us stay and was only coming cause some cabbies called.

moose135
2006-11-26, 12:33 AM
It's not hit or miss if you want to shoot at the cargo area a big group is a big mistake. You are going to attract attention and have exactly what happened today happen to you.

That's not true, Nick. I've been there on several occasions with 4 or 5 guys, nice warm day where we were all outside shooting, and didn't have PD called. As Phil said, it seems to depend on the mood of the guys in the building. Just last month, during the UN flights, we spent a couple of hours out there without a hassle.