PDA

View Full Version : Spotting for Sunday the 19th at JFK?

RedCross
2006-11-18, 11:10 AM
I'm new here, but I had some questions about spotting at JFK tomorrow. This will be my second time spotting- I went in early September upon my first visit to NYC. I'm not into the photography part so much (my camera both sucks and blows), I just love watching the planes. My first time spotting at JFK, my friends and I found a spot at a small marina that really worked out well, but from some research it seems that a better spot would have been at the state park on the other side of the golf course. However, I've seen pictures of people creating the ultimate spot themselves, by renting a small boat and watching from the bay. Is this feasible/ legal nowadays? How much does it cost on average? How close can you get before they send the Coast Guard out after you? I'm assuming you can't do it like you used to, especially in NYC.

Is anyone spotting tomorrow at JFK? If so, any recommendation on places other than the state park/ marina to check out? I guess the mounds thing is closed, and I wasn't all that impressed with the BK/Costco parking lot. Obviously, it all depends on the runways in use. Thanks.

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-18, 12:15 PM
Hey RedCross, welcome to the site!

I won't be able to meet up tomorrow, but hopefully others will and we'll get to meet up soon.

NIKV69
2006-11-18, 12:22 PM
my camera both sucks and blows
Now that is saying something!

Depending on the runways there are many spots. Check Phil's link here on spotting locations.

The park across is from Inwood CC is good for 31L arrivials. There are many spots, if you have a car drive around and find them. There are many that are not on Phil's list too.

SengaB
2006-11-18, 01:26 PM
Just watch out for that crazy old lady in inwood park who assists with keeping up the park. She will harrass ther hell out of you :) I don't she hangs out as much when it gets colder though. The old guy doesn't both you really although the watches you like a hawk.
Senga

hiss srq
2006-11-18, 07:35 PM
Well I would but I am taking my new squeeze up to PVD for lunch tomorrow on a Saab. I reccomend Howard Beach if the winds remain the same tomorrow till about noon and than follow that up with a lunch at Burger King might I reccomend a number 9 and than hit Cosco till the sun goes to bed!