PDA

View Full Version : Woman kicked off plane for breast-feeding baby

Midnight Mike
2006-11-14, 11:37 PM
Woman kicked off plane for breast-feeding
Files complaint saying she was being discreet, airline disagrees

Nov 14, 2006
BURLINGTON, Vt. - A woman who claims she was kicked off an airplane because she was breast-feeding her baby has filed a complaint against two airlines, her attorney said.

Emily Gillette, 27, of Santa Fe, N.M., filed the complaint with the Vermont Human Rights Commission late last week against Delta Air Lines and Freedom Airlines, said her attorney, Elizabeth Boepple. Freedom was operating the Delta flight between Burlington and New York City.

Gillette said she was discreetly breast-feeding her 22-month-old daughter on Oct. 13 as their flight prepared to leave Burlington International Airport. She said she was seated by the window in the next-to-last row, her husband was seated between her and the aisle and no part of her breast was showing.

A flight attendant tried to hand her a blanket and told her to cover up, Gillette said. She declined, telling the flight attendant she had a legal right to breast-feed her baby.

Moments later, a Delta ticket agent approached and said the flight attendant had asked that the family be removed from the flight, Gillette said. She said she didn’t want to make a scene and complied.

“It embarrassed me. That was my first reaction, which is a weird reaction for doing something so good for a child,” Gillette said Monday.

A Freedom spokesman said Gillette was asked to leave the flight after she declined the blanket.

“A breast-feeding mother is perfectly acceptable on an aircraft, providing she is feeding the child in a discreet way,” that doesn’t bother others, said Paul Skellon, spokesman for Phoenix-based Freedom. “She was asked to use a blanket just to provide a little more discretion, she was given a blanket, and she refused to use it, and that’s all I know.”

A complaint against two airlines was filed with the Vermont Human Rights Commission, although Executive Director Robert Appel said he was barred by state law from confirming the complaint. He said state law allows a mother to breast-feed in public.

The Vermont Human Rights Commission investigates complaints and determines whether discrimination may have occurred. The parties to a complaint are given six months to reach a settlement. If none is reached, the commission then decides whether to go to court. A complainant can file a separate suit in state court at any time.

Mellyrose
2006-11-14, 11:39 PM
I think the bigger problem is that a 22 month old is still breast feeding. :-P

Midnight Mike
2006-11-14, 11:43 PM
I think the bigger problem is that a 22 month old is still breast feeding. :-P

Good point I missed that one!

mirrodie
2006-11-15, 01:10 AM
Perhaps an even bigger problem here, why wasnt there any mention of breast size or photos of said malicious mammaries?

Otherwise why read the post?! :oops: :oops: *did I say that*

hiss srq
2006-11-15, 01:48 AM
I agree 22 months is just too freeking old. Sorry momma time to pop that one off and let her grow up number one. Number two keep it covered and number three if the F/A gives you a blanket for coverage take it! The rest of the cabin does not need to be seeing that personally. I dont care if you are flipping Eva Longoria or however you spell it that is not the place to have yourself exposed. Maybe in the last few rows of a 764 on a redeye it would be accepted but on a Dash! Nope.

RDU-JFK
2006-11-15, 09:19 AM
Also, why not feed before boarding?! And since I'm no baby expert, when do babies stop breast feeding?

K9DEP
2006-11-15, 09:44 AM
Her boob must have been all out if the flight attendant offered her a blanket before kicking her off. I have seen people breast feed their kids on flights not when they are about to depart. Her boobage wasn't that discreet.

Derf
2006-11-15, 10:14 AM
No big deal....In AZ with my first child whom was breast feeding at the
time, my wife used a small milk container to hold breast milk for my son
Nicholas and I did not know it when I was making the morning coffee. I
was tired so I drank it on the way to work not caring that it tasted off. I
told my wife later in the day that the milk may be bad and not to drink it.
Her reply stunned me..... "I HOPE NOT, it is mine and the baby has not
been complaining!"

I had no idea how to react.... I was stunned, not upset.... not mad, not
giggly, kind of like a deer in headlights. My phone was on speaker and
and when I looked at Bill (coworker), he turned purple trying not to laugh
at which point we both busted out laughing.

A couple a weeks later we ran out of milk and I took the bowl of cereal in
to the bedroom as it was the weekend and wife was home. The dental
bills are still being paid off. I tried telling her it was a joke!

K9DEP
2006-11-15, 06:36 PM
gives new meaning to getting to know your spouse :wink: