PDA

View Full Version : Where to spot at EWR? (New here)

flyboy 28
2006-11-11, 05:17 PM
Hi all, looks like I'm the noob 'round these parts. :) I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section, but I was wondering of some good spotting areas at EWR. I don't have the best equipment, a Panasonic Lumix FZ7, so somewhere kind of close to the threshold would be preferred. I see a lot of nice pics on Anet of EWR but I've never been able to figure out where they are taken from. :roll:

I get my driver's license in nine(!) days and I'm hoping to go spotting a lot more often. I know about the Planeview Park at LGA, and I'm not too sure about JFK, but for now I'd like to stay in New Jersey and not have to deal with tunnels/bridges. Thanks!

-James

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-11, 07:17 PM
Hi James! Welcome to the site!

I'm sure someone else might be able to offer advice for a spot or two, but EWR is a tough airport to spot from. Security is kinda tight.

G-BOAD
2006-11-11, 08:20 PM
try the IKEA parking lot, that is where i go.

Steven Holzinger
2006-11-11, 08:36 PM
The only spot I know of around EWR is Ikea but I've gotten chased out of there before (only was there once and don't want to go back because of that).

NYARTCCFAN
2006-11-11, 11:11 PM
There is a parking lot tucked in where there is a side road parallel to RWY 11/29 alongside RT 78(I believe it is North Rd.). If you are on North Rd. going N turn a right into the street where Delta Cargo is located and a Left if traveling S on North Rd. and go to the end and park right there(beware of the El Al security when El Al's flights are taxiimg,landing, or taking off. I used to park here on lunchtime from my delivery job

NcSchu
2006-11-12, 10:15 AM
I've gone to Olympia Drive a couple times. I've never gotten stopped by police.

FlyingColors
2006-11-12, 10:26 PM
There is a parking lot tucked in where there is a side road parallel to RWY 11/29 alongside RT 78(I believe it is North Rd.). If you are on North Rd. going N turn a right into the street where Delta Cargo is located and a Left if traveling S on North Rd. and go to the end and park right there(beware of the El Al security when El Al's flights are taxiimg,landing, or taking off. I used to park here on lunchtime from my delivery job

The spot your talking about now has a "camera in a bubble" attached to the building.
Going there will get you booted in 5 minutes.

EWR is flat out not spotter friendly. For no good reason the airport is 'hurt' personally over 9/11 since one of the flights departed their. (where is the connection/problem with spotter in light of world events is still a mystery)

Sure I know of spots but they are all "hit and run"
There is no "bring a lawn chair and fire up the scanner" spots at EWR.

FlyingColors
2006-11-12, 10:44 PM
try the IKEA parking lot, that is where i go.

Give it a shot, but your going to at least need some "props"

When I go there you should have:
An IKEA catalog, placed on your dashboard of the car.
Newspaper.
Food.
Cell phone.

Never stand out of your car for any length of time!

Always look and look again to see if the parking lot patrol is coming and the Elizabeth cops too. These guys love to sneak up from all 4 angles. If the patrol spots you 90% of the time they won't say a word, just call the cops on you.

When ever " da man" drives by, you should be in mid: mealtime, phone call, and or considering you next major purchase at the store via catalog.
Have a purpose that 'looks like" it justifies your existence there.

As I've been told by the E.P.D.
"The city does not allow you to even look at the airport, you will be arrested for spotting" And pics?, forgettaboutit!
Was told the owners of IKEA have approved the E.P.D. actions to remove spotting off of there precious private parking.

Keep in mind you stand a 8 out of 10 chance just when you get there a police car will be parked by the fence. If you see that, just keep on driving...take a ride an see in a half hour he's beat it.

I have received tremendous harassment's in the past, so cruel, that nowadays I carry a digital voice recorder for the next inevitable incident.

FlyingColors
2006-11-12, 10:57 PM
I've gone to Olympia Drive a couple times. I've never gotten stopped by police.

You have got to share whatever good luck charm your using with me!

Olympia...you have:
2 airport employee parking lots.
1 Hotel
1 Trucking depot
1 bus depot
1 valet parking service
and a few other businesses on less then 1/8 mile dead end.

Talk about constant motor traffic and all eyes on you.
You can't park anywhere there. Sure there is a narrow shoulder on both sides of the road, but its littered with trees and or wires. And your playing Russian roulette with your car mirrors. Many times in a 60 second time frame 2 buses just pass one another, very tight.

NcSchu
2006-11-13, 08:26 AM
Talk about constant motor traffic and all eyes on you.
You can't park anywhere there. Sure there is a narrow shoulder on both sides of the road, but its littered with trees and or wires. And your playing Russian roulette with your car mirrors. Many times in a 60 second time frame 2 buses just pass one another, very tight.

Not sure if we're talking about the same place, because there are parking spaces along one whole entire side of the street that usually only have a couple people in them. And sure, you get looks at by people, but no cops ever came up to me, I just ignore the onlookers. It's one of the safer places in my view, because it's not really anyone's property...it's just a road, and it's on the other side of the turnpike.

FlyingColors
2006-11-13, 10:18 AM
The Howard Johnson's is on that road.

flyboy 28
2006-11-13, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the help, everyone. Yeah I headed out to Ikea last year with my crummy little point and shoot before I got my Panasonic. I managed to stay at the fence for about a half an hour before the mall security guard came up to me. He said I could watch, but not take any photos. :roll: I saw the one guy go past me about three times before calling for "backup". I'm a 16-year-old with a camera. Looks like an RPG, right? :? I guess I should wait until I can get to a more spotter-friendly airport, like JFK or BWI. Anyone know if Morristown (MMU) has any good spots? Teterboro also. It's purely GA and Bizjets, but hey, planes are planes.

On a different note, I have some pics I took at BWI in early October when I was down there. The spotting area there is, in my opinion, great. Especially with nice weather. I'll post those pics when I get home from school, in this forum I am assuming?

Thanks again for the info everyone. :)

-James

markg
2006-11-17, 05:52 PM
Anyone know if Morristown (MMU) has any good spots? Teterboro also. It's purely GA and Bizjets, but hey, planes are planes.

MMU and TEB are worse than EWR for taking photos, because they are private aircraft and Mr. CEO doesn't want his wife knowing he's taking his secretary to NYC for a "working" weekend.

uplander
2006-11-18, 01:22 AM
EWR spotting... man what a sad state of affairs. :( Can't even go to Ikea without pretending you're actually going to Ikea. I'm depressed.

Hey James, when you get your license, just hop on I87 and go north. Don't stop, keep going and once you reach YUL you can spot and photograph all you want. If a cop comes by, just smile and you'll be OK. If s/he comes over to talk to you, it'll be in French so you won't understand anyway and you can just keep shooting. :wink:

Mateo
2006-11-18, 07:30 PM
MMU is complete crap. The only road will lead you into the Signature parking lot, which affords some slight ramp views, but you're on airport property and there are 'no photography' signs all over the place.

For TEB, you're going around and around the perimeter, but the sheer number of security outfits operating in the area (the Port, Teterboro town [which is essentially the airport itself], Moonachie town, South Hackensack town, Little Ferry town, Bergen County, and TEB rent-a-cops) mean that you're never far away from someone with a badge and an attitude. Lots of hitting and running around Teterboro.