PDA

View Full Version : Concorde to Floyd Bennett Field

mikephotos
2006-11-10, 05:08 PM
I heard today for a somewhat reliable source that the Concorde will be moved to Floyd Bennett Field sometime this month. Not sure if this was posted already here (I looked briefly but didn't see anything). Get you cameras ready.

Mike

mirrodie
2006-11-10, 06:24 PM
Sounds great. That was the only seemingly feasible place to consider.

Isnt there a small museum there anyway?

Tom_Turner
2006-11-11, 01:35 AM
BA must be thrilled.... (NOT!!!)

cancidas
2006-11-11, 02:32 AM
is there any way to get to the museum there on a regular basis? the last time i was there was '94 for a fly-in. went to hang out with some freinds there and the knew no way of getting into the museum as its not open most of the year. (hearsay)

Derf
2006-11-11, 11:34 AM
is there any way to get to the museum there on a regular basis? the last time i was there was '94 for a fly-in. went to hang out with some freinds there and the knew no way of getting into the museum as its not open most of the year. (hearsay)

it is open on the Saturday's for the volunteers to do work to the aircraft.

NcSchu
2006-11-11, 02:41 PM
According to the Wikipedia article on Floyd Bennett Field the Concorde at the Intrepid will indeed be put there for 18 months. I'm not sure how reliable this information is though.

Nonstop2AUH
2006-11-13, 06:14 PM
Can she be barged there or is it going to have to go by road?

Matt Molnar
2006-11-13, 07:04 PM
Floyd Bennett Field is right on Jamaica Bay so I'm guessing they'll leave her on the barge.

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-13, 09:07 PM
Anyone have dates for this?

G-BOAD
2006-11-13, 09:43 PM
i thought it closed down. well, i hope to see her there, and i really want to visit (like my name said, I'm a big G-BOAD fan). anybody have any idea how it can be done?

Tom_Turner
2006-11-13, 10:24 PM
I had heard (could be wrong) the owners of the barge want the barge back... so it'll be interesting to see what's next.. by barge or road.

Then, will it remain on barge AT Floyd Bennett. Or, be put on yet another barge?

mikephotos
2006-11-14, 01:21 AM
I had heard (could be wrong) the owners of the barge want the barge back... so it'll be interesting to see what's next.. by barge or road.

Then, will it remain on barge AT Floyd Bennett. Or, be put on yet another barge?

I was told it would be removed from the barge at FBF and rolled/pulled across the field to somewhere. If the wheels spin after they inflate the tires it will be towed/pulled. If not, cranned onboard a moving platform and moved that way.

Mike

FlyingColors
2006-11-14, 06:55 PM
I heard today for a somewhat reliable source that the Concorde will be moved to Floyd Bennett Field sometime this month. Not sure if this was posted already here (I looked briefly but didn't see anything). Get you cameras ready.

Mike

Thank you for the info!