PDA

View Full Version : LGA Airline Show and Sale This Saturday!

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-09, 10:35 PM
This Saturday at the LGA Marriot Courtyard (one block from Planeview, not the other Marriot) will host the annual LGA Airline Show and Sale!

From 9am-4pm, you can check out vendors from all around the country selling ALL KINDS of airline memorabilia from models (tons), shirts, safety cards, advertisements and all kinds of stuff.

The LGA show has been growing each year, and with there not having been any EWR or BOS shows this year, I'm expecting this one to be MUCH bigger.

NYCAviation will have a table where we will be showing some photographs and showing off the website.

I already know that many NYCAers are coming, and I highly urge all of you folks to come.

WARNING: DO NO BRING MONEY THAT YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO SPEND! You WILL see things you like and you won't be able to resist. Leave your ATM card at home if you need to.

LGA777
2006-11-09, 10:47 PM
One of the vendors and friend of mine Mike Chew from SFO who owns Mainliner Books (He always has a large set of tables at most shows, mostly models) just informed me he is arriving Friday morning and hopes to shoot at either LGA or JFK. I know this is incredibly last minute but with Fridays great weather forecast if anyone is going out and could show Mike around (he is staying at the Show Hotel with no car) he and I would both be really grateful. If anyone is interested just PM me and I will give you Mike's cell. Again really friendly and interesting guy, Thanks in advance if anyone can help, I am unavailable but hope to make a short show appearance on Saturday.

Thanks Again

Ron Peel

hiss srq
2006-11-09, 11:09 PM
Me and Justin Idle will be there for sure I get in tomorow night if I do not decide to non rev all over the nation from CLT first ha ha ha

cancidas
2006-11-10, 01:51 PM
i'll be showing up before i have to go to work, it'll be late morning when i go as i'd have to take my car to the lot and them bus to my terminal. should be there around 1030 or 1100, i'd stay until about 1230.

edit: i'll be wearing a green northface sweater and my blue boeing cap.

NYARTCCFAN
2006-11-10, 08:39 PM
sounds interesting !!!! May attend myself wearing gray on gray and an EMDEON CORP CAP!!!!! Depending on babies mood..

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-11, 08:54 AM
On our way to the show. Stop by our booth and say hi!

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-11, 07:56 PM
The show was a GREAt time! Mete a bunch of peopleand quite a few members came out, too.

I got a North American 767-300 (N767NA) and 737-800 (N802NA), thigns I really shouldn't have gotten.....ouchie wallet. lol

These shows are always a lot of fun, and buying stuff on the internet is jsut not as fun as finding something cool in a stak of models and getting the instant gratification after haggling down the price a couple bucks.

We (NYCA) ended up having only one table as opposed to two and we were stuck in the corner (was kinda pissed.....well...I'm lying about the "kinda" part actually). We sold some photos and promoted the site to a bunch of people who seemed pretty interested. Expect to meet some new friends soon. :)

hiss srq
2006-11-11, 08:11 PM
i had a great time too. Shoulda brought a napkin to stop the drool lol. It was great to get out there and meet everyone I did as well.

G-BOAD
2006-11-11, 08:17 PM
i went and had a great time. got myself some nice salty cards. also got a chance to meet some NYCaviaton member and look at some nice photos.
here is one i took of the show:
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/mateu21/nov11005.jpg
the NYCaviation table is in the back corner

SP-LPB
2006-11-11, 09:58 PM
I dropped in right at the very end while NYCAviation was packing up and leaving. Completely forgetting that this event was taking place, a fellow in PVP told me that he was just coming out of there, so I rushed to the Marriott. I'm kinda ticked off that I missed it, but from what I saw in those quick 10 minutes the thing looked fun. Too bad I left my wallet home maybe I could still have bought something in the last few seconds. :(

Ok in the next posts please write what you got(IE. show off please!) and how you couldn't restrain yourself. :mrgreen:

Mellyrose
2006-11-11, 10:08 PM
Well, I honestly wasn't planning on buying ANYTHING today, but it all started with a gift for Phil: a 400 scale North American 767-300.

All downhill from there.

Phil returned the gesture by surprising me with a very pretty Condor Limited Edition 757-300 (D-ABON <--look it up). So nice.

Then, I bought a 400 scale Pink Song (I already have a 150 scale from Phil, it was my first model)....and a GE Aircraft Engines 747-100: Flying Testbed with the GE115B engine as #2 (very cool, for MANY reasons)...my day, and funds ended with the US Airways A319 Retrojet in PSA colors.

It's worse than drugs....and more expensive! :?

G-BOAD
2006-11-11, 10:16 PM
TWA 747-100 Safty Instructions
TWA DC-9 safty card
airpolonia B737-400 safty card (mint)
VARIG MD-11 safty card (poor condition)

SP-LPB
2006-11-11, 10:21 PM

LOL, shopaholic!

Did you see any Hogan Wings 1:200 models? Another question, any LOT merchandise? I know Mel showed me a LX A321 but anymore Swiss thingies?

Nice Matt that's a really rare souvenir that Airpolonia safety card.

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-11, 10:29 PM
I saw this cool LOT t-shirt at the SkyShirts table. Other than that, I don't recall much.

bonanzabucks
2006-11-11, 10:30 PM
Phil, it's been a long time. It was really good seeing you again after all this time!

I had a good time at the show, meeting some new people (cancidas and LGA777 and someone else, but I don't remember what his name was). I didn't stay for that long. Just went to check things out and I don't regret getting up so early in the morning on a Saturday for this. ;) It also helped a bunch that we had 22 departures. ;)

G-BOAD: I spoke with that chick in your pic for like half an hour. She used to be a model and a flight attendant for PA and she was promoting a few books she wrote. Even at her age, she's really beautiful and she's aged really well. Very nice lady too and I had an interesting time speaking with her. She's been to a lot of places and had a lot of cool stories to tell. Although she complained that the Newark show was bigger and better and this one was smaller than other ones across the country.

Needless to say, great time across the board and nice seeing Phil again and meeting some fellow NYC area enthusiasts.

Until we all meet again!

Lou

NIKV69
2006-11-11, 11:06 PM
the NYCaviation table is in the back corner

Corner? They may as well be in Osh Kosh! Use some zoom! BTW that guy with the bad shirt and evil grin is scaring me!

dlx737200
2006-11-11, 11:06 PM
I had a blast today you all. I only wish I had about 1000 bucks to spend there. I didn't buy anything, I was good. If I were more into those 1:400 scales, I would've bought a lot. But I'm more of a 1:200 plastic model guy. Did you all see that wood US 757 with winglets? Orgasmic! ok maybe that's a little extreme but that thing was beautiful! If only it weren't $200. Too much for me to rationalize buying it. Mel, you mentioned your 1:150 scale Pink Song in your earlier reply. Did I read that right, 1:150? Cause in person you insisted it was 1:50. And I conceded to you. Was I right that it wasn't 1:50th? Either way, glad I came. Nice meeting up with a few of you all. I'm back home now. But I'll be back really soon. See you all later!

-Justin

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-11, 11:11 PM
I thnk she meant "one fifty" as in one hundred and fifty, as in 1:150, not 1:50.

Was great seeing you Justin. Glad you can pop up in NY like that. :)

Mellyrose
2006-11-11, 11:13 PM
Yeah Justin...now I understand why you were so baffled as to why I was insisting that the one I have at home really isn't THAT big like you thought it would be. I said 150 scale meaning 1:150 the whole time. Sorry for the misunderstanding! :)

dlx737200
2006-11-11, 11:16 PM
Yeah Justin...now I understand why you were so baffled as to why I was insisting that the one I have at home really isn't THAT big like you thought it would be. I said 150 scale meaning 1:150 the whole time. Sorry for the misunderstanding! :)

HAHA ok. That explains it then. I thought u meant 1:50th. I was thinking, "that'd be a huge ass model. She can't mean 1:50th." haha. Glad we got that cleared up. Nice seeing you all today again.

Watch out Phil, I might jump out from a corner on your ramp one of these days. Haha jk.

-Justin

cancidas
2006-11-11, 11:48 PM
i wanted that LO shirt so bad, too bad they didn't have my size. ended up getting the PS "Smile Hour" shirt instead as well as a USAF C-17, C-32 and the AA retro jet in bare metal. (no chrome here baby.)

here are my latest additions:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o161/cancidas/DSC_0133.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o161/cancidas/DSC_0132.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o161/cancidas/DSC_0130.jpg

i was farely good too, only spent under $100.

Iberia A340-600
2006-11-11, 11:55 PM
Really wish I could have come guys, looks like and sounds like it was a lot of fun! With studying for finals and getting ready to leave for Spain on Thursday I was pretty busy. :(

Mellyrose
2006-11-12, 12:23 AM
Gordon...we saw a couple models that you would've loved, but we assumed you already had! One was an Iberia 752 and the other was an 1:200 scale Iberia A340.

Do you already have those?

Iberia A340-600
2006-11-12, 12:44 AM
I've got a Herpa 1/500 Iberia 757-200 and A340-300 but not 1/200 versions of the models. I'm guessing the A340-300 was Hogan?

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-12, 12:46 AM
I thoguht it was SkyMarks, but I guess it was probably Hogan. They were selling it for $10. Shoulda grabbed it for you. :(

My best purchase, though, was a postcard I got of LGA....
....it's got an overhead diagramof the runway and terminal layout....complete airport map....from back int eh dizzay. It shows a third runway 9/27, shorter 1/31 and 4/22 runways and all kinds of stuff. Simply amazing!

I will tkae a pic and post it soon.

Iberia A340-600
2006-11-12, 01:07 AM
Wow, $10! That's crazy, in Germany it's about $42 (for the Hogan model).

Thanks for keeping an eye out for me Phil and Mel. :)

kevin323
2006-11-12, 02:29 AM
Was great meeting you. Went over budget again this year. I missed having a show at Newark this year and made up for it at Mike Chews table and at Buchair. 1/200th UA DC-8 and a BAF Carvair ( I'm a sucker for ugly cars & planes & the Carvair is UGLY. Also1/400 Maxjet & Avianca 767-200s , UA DC-6F, and a EA DC-3. Already have the North American 767. I think Dragon wings made a XG 757 Bush/Cheney 757in 1/400

LGA777
2006-11-12, 10:30 AM
As usual it was great seeing everybody and meeting some new folks. When I was younger I used to go to around 5-6 shows a year around the country and buy mega stuff, now I am window shopper and come to visit with friends, by far the best part. I am glad I never started a model collection as I would be spending so much money I don't have and pissing off my wife but for those of you who do collect them, this is a great place to grow your collection. Remember when the dealers are ready to start packing up you can often get great deals as they don't want to lug stuff home, many are getting on one or more airplanes to get there. As far as purchases, I only made one, my bible the awesome BuchAir JP Fleet Guide, I will spend many hours reading thru the wealth of information it has about the worlds airline fleets and tracking down many of the aircraft I have worked in the past that have left the fleets of my various employers over the years. I was fortunate to pick up two new JustPlanes Videos DVD's (WestJet and SpiceJet) as I now review them for Airliners magazine. Anyway I had a great time and what are the chances that we had Runway 22 departures two years in a row, did some of you do any shooting ?

Cheers

LGA777

SP-LPB
2006-11-12, 09:54 PM
I thoguht it was SkyMarks, but I guess it was probably Hogan. They were selling it for $10.

Nice deal, I got my Swiss 332 for $40. Now I'm even sadder that I couldn't make it on time. :?

BTW cancidas how did the LOT shirt look like?

Winglets747
2006-11-13, 10:12 AM

Well said!

I collect the StarJets 1:500, but luckily StarJets lately has not been making a lot of models. :wink:

Sorry I missed all of you on Saturday--I had to catch up on some stuff but it sounds like you all had a good time.

-Will

G-BOAD
2006-11-14, 04:45 PM
BTW cancidas how did the LOT shirt look like?
it said "i [heart] polish airlines LOT" and had a pic of a 767 on takeoff
it was a sand color