PDA

View Full Version : Election Day Madness!

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-07, 09:49 AM
Who's voting? For whom, if you're willing to share?

I saw this in the paper this morning, had to share:

http://nycaviation.com/pichost/getfuzzy.gif

MarkLawrence
2006-11-07, 09:58 AM
This is my first election that I'm legally allowed to vote in the US! Of course I'm voting - for who - it's complicated here in Florida - can't go with one straight party - there are crooked ones in both parties!..lol

T-Bird76
2006-11-07, 10:04 AM
I'm voting for a mix or Republican and Democratic candidates. The race that is the most important for me is the Islip Town Supervisor race. It comes down to Pam Greene and Phil Nolan, Greene is a throw back from McGowan's corrupt days. This race will be close and mark my words disputed. As for the other key races....

Gov-Faso
Comptroller- Hevesi
Attorney General- Pirro
Senator- Clinton (flame me if you will, she's proved herself)
Judges, I generally vote Republican down the line, the Dems are to easy on crime

RDU-JFK
2006-11-07, 10:27 AM
Question:

I last voted for the presidential election 2 years ago via an absentee ballot. I've actually never voted in person. Will my name still be on the list even though I did not vote the past 2 years?

I'll try to vote tonight after work, even though my votes against Carpetbagger Clinton and White Wine Spitzer are useless.

Midnight Mike
2006-11-07, 10:28 AM
Everybody that can vote, should. For those that don't vote, have no reason to complain.

Voting locations & a sample ballot

http://www.vote411.org/pollingplacebystate.php

Midnight Mike
2006-11-07, 10:31 AM
Question:

I last voted for the presidential election 2 years ago via an absentee ballot. I've actually never voted in person. Will my name still be on the list even though I did not vote the past 2 years?

I'll try to vote tonight after work, even though my votes against Carpetbagger Clinton and White Wine Spitzer are useless.

If you have not moved since the last time you voted, it should not be a problem, if you your name in not on the list, you can still do a write-in vote.

If you moved, then I think you need to vote in the last district that you voted in.

RDU-JFK
2006-11-07, 10:41 AM
Thank you!!

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-07, 10:53 AM
I'm voting for myself and my running mate, Dwight Eisenhhower, for the unchallenged position of Queens County Superior Comptroller Marshall Person.

I keep seeing signs that say "Vote Aqui" just like last year, but I don't think I'll be able to find his name on the ballot again.

I just hope I get home in time to vote later.

T-Bird76
2006-11-07, 10:56 AM
Question:

You should be able to vote without a problem. I think it’s sad though you feel your vote is a waste. Regardless if Clinton and Spitzer are going to win it’s still your choice and there is no reason not to voice your choice in a candidate. Think of the amount of people who feel the same way and simply don't get out there and vote? Perhaps if just 10% more of the eligible voters got out and voted a strong message would be sent to our gov't.

As for Clinton being a so called carpetbagger I really don't see what the big deal is? She wanted to run for Senate, the NY election was up she picked NY. The fact of the matter is if she sucked that bad she wouldn't have won or wouldn't be as far ahead in the poles that she is now. I know a few people upstate who've contacted her before and they say her office responds, to me that's what counts, listening to and responding to the people you serve. In fact a few years ago when I had my run in with SCPD at ISP I contacted her office and they responded in kind. I don't agree 100% with some of her beliefs but when it comes to the issues that directly affect me she responded and I highly respect that.

When it comes to the elections its important not to get caught up in the media firestorm and negative ads that run. I know with busy lives it’s hard to do research on your own but I make it a point of taking a Sunday and simply doing some research on the folks running. If I simply listened to the ads I wouldn't vote for any of them.

I have somewhat of a strong opinion on people who never vote. My belief is if you never vote then your citizenship should be stripped and the rights that go along with that honor. Why be a citizen in a democracy if you’re not going to participate in the system?

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-07, 11:00 AM
As for Clinton being a so called carpetbagger I really don't see what the big deal is? She wanted to run for Senate, the NY election was up she picked NY.

That's exactly what I have a problem with. Who si she to just pick a place that she wants to represent, buy a property and try to run it?

Not to mention the fact that she is/would be an absolute nobody if it wasn't for her husband. It's difficult for me to respect someone that succeeds by riding her husabnd's coattails, and then comes off as a role model for women? Isn't that the OPPOSITE of women's lib...using your husband's worth for your own success?

I'm open to giving her a chance, but it's going to take more than a few years fo pleasing peopel itne Adironacks to make that happen.

RDU-JFK
2006-11-07, 11:14 AM
T-Bird,

I agree with your voting points. I fully intend to vote, but being a conservative in Brooklyn is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. In very local elections a republican hasn't won in years. My main beef with the system is with the presidential elections. THAT's when my vote truly doesn't count. New York will ALWAYS vote for the democrat for the presidential election, so my vote is thrown away. The electoral college does not work. I fully admit it, even if it helped Bush win in 2000. My vote for Bush had no impact on his re-election in 2004.

Being a conservative in Brooklyn is frustrating because you have no political voice. Nevertheless I will vote after work.

I just hope that my name is in the book! Someone once told me that if you never voted in person and you havent done an absentee ballot in a few years, you were taken off the list. I hope this is not the case!

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-07, 11:22 AM
I agree with you, RDU. I, too, am outnumbered in NY as a registered Republican.

The way that I've been using to make my contribution larger than jsut my one vote is to vote in stead of my deceased relatives.

I'm kidding.

But seriously, I vote in place of my dead relatives. Ok, I'm kidding.

Honestly, though, I try to make up for my lack of voice by putting more of a voice in others. I constantly learn of people around me that don't vote because they feel that they just don't know enough about what's going on in politics these days. I attempt to educate them with as minimal a bias as possible, and persuade them to vote for SOMEONE. I can only hope that they choose right.....and I mean right. haha

Midnight Mike
2006-11-07, 11:29 AM
T-Bird,

I agree with your voting points. I fully intend to vote, but being a conservative in Brooklyn is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. In very local elections a republican hasn't won in years. My main beef with the system is with the presidential elections. THAT's when my vote truly doesn't count. New York will ALWAYS vote for the democrat for the presidential election, so my vote is thrown away. The electoral college does not work. I fully admit it, even if it helped Bush win in 2000. My vote for Bush had no impact on his re-election in 2004.

Being a conservative in Brooklyn is frustrating because you have no political voice. Nevertheless I will vote after work.

I just hope that my name is in the book! Someone once told me that if you never voted in person and you havent done an absentee ballot in a few years, you were taken off the list. I hope this is not the case!

Your vote when added to the millions of other votes do make a difference.

As to the Electoral College, it works the way it is supposed to vote, it gives the States a say as to who is President of the "United States" of America.

What "some" people forget is that this is one country, made up of "50" States.

T-Bird76
2006-11-07, 11:32 AM
[quote="T-Bird76":18d33]As for Clinton being a so called carpetbagger I really don't see what the big deal is? She wanted to run for Senate, the NY election was up she picked NY.

That's exactly what I have a problem with. Who si she to just pick a place that she wants to represent, buy a property and try to run it?

Not to mention the fact that she is/would be an absolute nobody if it wasn't for her husband. It's difficult for me to respect someone that succeeds by riding her husabnd's coattails, and then comes off as a role model for women? Isn't that the OPPOSITE of women's lib...using your husband's worth for your own success?

I'm open to giving her a chance, but it's going to take more than a few years fo pleasing peopel itne Adironacks to make that happen.[/quote:18d33]

Phil answer me this what if the difference between her and someone else? I think we get way too caught up in this argument that really doesn't have much validity to it; it’s a fallacy with flawed reasoning and nothing more. What is the difference between her moving here and a so called native New Yorker running? Lazio was a total moron who couldn't do a dam thing without his handlers around him. If this logic was true about moving to a state to run we could say the same thing about Arnold in Cali, Bush in Florida, etc etc. btw the term carpetbaggers generally referrers to Northern Republicans who went to the south after the civil war, so any Republican using that term to describe Clinton really needs to learn the definition first. If you don’t support her beliefs that’s one thing but you’re much more intelligent then to take the carpetbagger stance not to vote for her.

Also how on earth do you say with any logical reasoning she would be nothing without Bill? She was already a highly successful lawyer with political ambitions before Bill was President that simply gave her a launching platform to further her goals. I fail to see the problem with using existing opportunities to do something you want to do. I think most people in this country would use any means open to them to further their goals, that’s what the land of opportunity means

I think you statement about upstaters is absolutely stereotypical of most down staters. New York has always been spilt and we've always had one Senator that focuses on upstate while one focuses on downstate.

Again this entire argument about her moving here is nothing more then a fallacy and an old argument without merit. The Republicans in this state are just pathetic, they did a $hit job with this election. They didn't put Faso up against Spitzer in a debate; they basically left John Spencer out in the woods to starve to death. If they gave Faso more support he might just have a chance, he’s a pretty smart guy with some good ideas, but he is going to get destroyed.

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-07, 11:42 AM
1. Just as you say, the state has always been split. With her being an upstate Senator, her interests are not generally in the best of mine. Therefore, I have little interest in voting for her.

2. Even with her being a "successful lawyer" and having political aspirations, he wouldn't have been able to become NY Senator without the status of her husband. There are thousands of people that are lawyer who want political office, and the chances of her making the pros would have been as tough as that of any of them if she didn't barnacle on the hull SS Bill Clinton.

3. Just becuase the people she's ran against are dip****s doesn't mean she's the good for the job, either. I am not going to play the "lesser of two evils" game in politics anymore. I'd rather vote for "Everybody Loves Raymond" at 7pm than turn a lever for someone who hasn't earned my support.

4. ULTIMATELY, in the end, I don't even care about any of that stuff if she does a good job. And, as I said in my first post which apparently went ignored, it's going to take more than just a couple years of pleasing upstate farmers and skiers to earn my vote.

Maybe in 6 more years.

RDU-JFK
2006-11-07, 11:49 AM
Yes, the term carpetbagger has originally referred to the northern presence in the south, but the term has been adopted to what I intended it to be used for.

According to M-W Dictionary:
Etymology: from their carrying all their belongings in carpetbags
1 : a Northerner in the South after the American Civil War usually seeking private gain under the reconstruction governments
2 : OUTSIDER; especially : a nonresident or new resident who seeks private gain from an area often by meddling in its business or politics

This second definition is what I was referring to, and absolutely applies to Clinton. It is perfectly acceptable and very appropriate. I think I know the definition of the word.

T-Bird76
2006-11-07, 12:02 PM
1. Just as you say, the state has always been split. With her being an upstate Senator, her interests are not generally in the best of mine. Therefore, I have little interest in voting for her.

2. Even with her being a "successful lawyer" and having political aspirations, he wouldn't have been able to become NY Senator without the status of her husband. There are thousands of people that are lawyer who want political office, and the chances of her making the pros would have been as tough as that of any of them if she didn't barnacle on the hull SS Bill Clinton.

3. ULTIMATELY, in the end, I don't even care about any of that stuff if she does a good job. And, as I said in my first post which apparently went ignored, it's going to take more than just a couple years of pleasing upstate farmers and skiers to earn my vote.

Maybe in 6 more years.

Point 1. So am I to understand that even if she is more focused on upstate NY and responds to the needs of upstate NY you would vote for someone who is unproven? John Spencer hasn't at all proven himself, why put someone in office that is unproven. Remember this is one state, NYC and Long Island have for far to long supported upstate, if she is working for upstaters and helping to move those cities forward to be less dependant on us isn't that in your best interest?

Point 2. Again I'll raise the question what is the problem with her riding Bill's coat tails? Honestly I think without her he wouldn't have been President. That was a marriage of convenience; they both had ambitions of greatness and needed each other. If their ambition is to serve the people of this country without an altier motive then go for it. There will always be people in this country who have the connections they need to accomplish what they want.

Point 3. Your contradicting yourself, you care if she does a good job but the opinions of other New Yorkers who feel she is doing a good job don't matter or are somewhat less then your opinion? This also goes back to point one, if she is helping upstate New York become less dependant on down state then that lessens the burden on us hence she is doing a good job for the entire state.

T-Bird76
2006-11-07, 12:10 PM
Yes, the term carpetbagger has originally referred to the northern presence in the south, but the term has been adopted to what I intended it to be used for.

According to M-W Dictionary:
Etymology: from their carrying all their belongings in carpetbags
1 : a Northerner in the South after the American Civil War usually seeking private gain under the reconstruction governments
2 : OUTSIDER; especially : a nonresident or new resident who seeks private gain from an area often by meddling in its business or politics

This second definition is what I was referring to, and absolutely applies to Clinton. It is perfectly acceptable and very appropriate. I think I know the definition of the word.

How did she "meddle" in NY's affairs? She legally ran for office, legally became a citizen of NY, and legally won the election. Am I to assume you would like some law stating a citizen can't run for office if they aren't a resident of that state for some period of time? That is absolutely ludicrous and beyond belief. She in no way disrupted the flow of gov't here in the state. Like I said before if you disagree with her beliefs that fine, I don't support all her beliefs but the carpetbagger platform is just without strength.

RDU-JFK
2006-11-07, 12:23 PM
I find it quite hard for a senator to lobby for people in a state where she has only lived for a certain number of years. You think she knows what its like for her kids to attend school in New York and take the Regents Exams, or other educational concerns? You think she's grown up to see firsthand how the economic structure of the state has changed? She doesn't know enough about New York just from buying a house and living here the past few years.

What if the mayor of French Lick, Indiana ran for and won the mayoral job of NYC? It's absurd! You have to truly know about a state, its people and its issues and history. Mind you, Bloomy was a native Bostonian but he dealt with and lived in NYC for many years. Yet the liberals used THE SAME carpetbagger argument that I used against Bloomberg, just for him being born in Boston. Being a mayor's different than a senator, but the principle is there. I hate Schumer, but at least he's a New Yorker and represents the people as a New Yorker. Both upstaters and city dwellers can relate to the things he has experienced.

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-07, 12:31 PM
*yawn*

Point 1. So am I to understand that even if she is more focused on upstate NY and responds to the needs of upstate NY you would vote for someone who is unproven?

No, I wouldn't vote for someone who is unproven to me.

John Spencer hasn't at all proven himself, why put someone in office that is unproven.

I'm no fan of him either.

Remember this is one state, NYC and Long Island have for far to long supported upstate, if she is working for upstaters and helping to move those cities forward to be less dependant on us isn't that in your best interest?

You'd have to be more specific with her proposed legislation that helps upstaters enough to relieve us of our support for them. She cna respond to constituents' letters about downed trees and migrating coyotes all day, but until Albany or Smalltown in Lawrence County develops and builds a population of 8 million, New York City will always support upstate NY, just as any major city supports the rest of their state.

That being said, I have no issue with upstate NY. But their interests are different than mine, and those who are serving their needs are probably not serving mine.

Besides, I'm looking for someone to represent me, not someone to represent someone else, get them out of my hair, and still let me unrepresented with the problems that I am facing in my town, borough, city and nation.

Again I'll raise the question what is the problem with her riding Bill's coat tails?

My issue with it is that it sets a bad exmaple when the feminist community says that her behavior is worth idolizing. Her motto should be "Stand by your man even if he cheats....because it will help your career."

The part that bothers me are the people who vote for her just because she is a woman, which is as sexist as anything that those feminists accuse others of. She is hardly the role model for women for the reasons that I mentioned earlier and more.

Honestly I think without her he wouldn't have been President.

Your opinion, which I can't enforce or debate with facts, but it's a shame that you think that.

That was a marriage of convenience; they both had ambitions of greatness and needed each other. If their ambition is to serve the people of this country without an altier motive then go for it. There will always be people in this country who have the connections they need to accomplish what they want.

Why schmooze at a dinner party where you could just marry into succees?! Who cares about love? Perfect example for young people growing up!

Your contradicting yourself, you care if she does a good job but the opinions of other New Yorkers who feel she is doing a good job don't matter or are somewhat less then your opinion?

If she's doing WONDERFUL things for upstaters, then that's fine. I won't even dispute that. But it doesn't matter AT ALL to me. It means absolutely zero.

It comes down to who is representing and pushing the interests of me, my town and my family, not the Catskills. The person who will receive my vote will do so because they will do what is best for me and my interests (my town, family, etc.), not that of people who don't know what New York City life is like.

T-Bird76
2006-11-07, 12:35 PM
I find it quite hard for a senator to lobby for people in a state where she has only lived for a certain number of years. You think she knows what its like for her kids to attend school in New York and take the Regents Exams, or other educational concerns? You think she's grown up to see firsthand how the economic structure of the state has changed? She doesn't know enough about New York just from buying a house and living here the past few years.

What if the mayor of French Lick, Indiana ran for and won the mayoral job of NYC? It's absurd! You have to truly know about a state, its people and its issues and history. Mind you, Bloomy was a native Bostonian but he dealt with and lived in NYC for many years. Yet the liberals used THE SAME carpetbagger argument that I used against Bloomberg, just for him being born in Boston. Being a mayor's different than a senator, but the principle is there. I hate Schumer, but at least he's a New Yorker and represents the people as a New Yorker. Both upstaters and city dwellers can relate to the things he has experienced.

Sorry I don't buy the fact that if you didn't grow up here you can't understand us, total BS. You don't think other states have the same issues NY has? Of course they do, all over the country we have the same issues, taxes, affordable housing, crime, education. Come on NY isn't all that different from the rest of the country. NY is a great state but let’s not get the Texas syndrome that we're different then everyone else because we're not.

RDU-JFK
2006-11-07, 12:42 PM
Well I disagree. I guess I'm way off in thinking that our senators (EDIT: political leaders) should reflect the people he/she serves. States have their own issues that are very, very important, and if my senator hasn't even been living here for a majority of his/her life, I'm weary. There are many things that make NY different than other states! Otherwise we'd be the United STATE of America.

And God have mercy on us if she becomes president.

Alex T
2006-11-07, 01:21 PM
Well I guess Tommy thinks my citizenship should be stripped of since I am not voting because I am not registered as far as I know.

Alex

T-Bird76
2006-11-07, 01:24 PM
*yawn*

[quote="T-Bird76":cdc7e]Point 1. So am I to understand that even if she is more focused on upstate NY and responds to the needs of upstate NY you would vote for someone who is unproven?

No, I wouldn't vote for someone who is unproven to me.

John Spencer hasn't at all proven himself, why put someone in office that is unproven.

I'm no fan of him either.

Remember this is one state, NYC and Long Island have for far to long supported upstate, if she is working for upstaters and helping to move those cities forward to be less dependant on us isn't that in your best interest?

You'd have to be more specific with her proposed legislation that helps upstaters enough to relieve us of our support for them. She cna respond to constituents' letters about downed trees and migrating coyotes all day, but until Albany or Smalltown in Lawrence County develops and builds a population of 8 million, New York City will always support upstate NY, just as any major city supports the rest of their state.

That being said, I have no issue with upstate NY. But their interests are different than mine, and those who are serving their needs are probably not serving mine.

Besides, I'm looking for someone to represent me, not someone to represent someone else, get them out of my hair, and still let me unrepresented with the problems that I am facing in my town, borough, city and nation.

Again I'll raise the question what is the problem with her riding Bill's coat tails?

My issue with it is that it sets a bad exmaple when the feminist community says that her behavior is worth idolizing. Her motto should be "Stand by your man even if he cheats....because it will help your career."

The part that bothers me are the people who vote for her just because she is a woman, which is as sexist as anything that those feminists accuse others of. She is hardly the role model for women for the reasons that I mentioned earlier and more.

Honestly I think without her he wouldn't have been President.

Your opinion, which I can't enforce or debate with facts, but it's a shame that you think that.

That was a marriage of convenience; they both had ambitions of greatness and needed each other. If their ambition is to serve the people of this country without an altier motive then go for it. There will always be people in this country who have the connections they need to accomplish what they want.

Why schmooze at a dinner party where you could just marry into succees?! Who cares about love? Perfect example for young people growing up!

Your contradicting yourself, you care if she does a good job but the opinions of other New Yorkers who feel she is doing a good job don't matter or are somewhat less then your opinion?

If she's doing WONDERFUL things for upstaters, then that's fine. I won't even dispute that. But it doesn't matter AT ALL to me. It means absolutely zero.

It comes down to who is representing and pushing the interests of me, my town and my family, not the Catskills. The person who will receive my vote will do so because they will do what is best for me and my interests (my town, family, etc.), not that of people who don't know what New York City life is like.[/quote:cdc7e]

First for those of you who think Phil and I hate each other right now, we don't we both have a tremendous degree of respect in each others beleifs and throughly enjoy debating with each other. Ok enough of that...

Well at least you dropped the carpetbagger argument, lol ;)

How are the interests of upstate New York any different then downstate NY? Let’s get out of our bubble that NYC is any different then the rest of the country. The only thing different about NYC and Long Island’s issues is that they are larger in scale, they're the same issues but larger. Tackling the issues in one area of the state does affect the entire state.

If you want someone to represent you and your town look to your local political leaders not your Federal leaders. Clinton isn't going to get involved with and shouldn't get involved with the hommies hanging out on College Point Blvd. That's where your local leaders need to take a stand.

Did I say I agree that her marriage was a marriage of benefit? No, read what I wrote! I was stating the obvious fact, Clinton's marriage is a farce and yes it’s not the right message to send. However the example of opportunity still holds fact, she used an opportunity to move forward. Could you debate if it was the highest ethical thing to do, perhaps, but it wasn't anything illegal based on the laws of the land and our system of gov’t.

Phil you need to get out of this mentality that what happens in upstate NY doesn't affect you. It should matter to you and it should matter to the entire state what goes on in each region of New York. The millions stolen in Suffolk schools don’t affect or matter to you? Oh it most certainly does affect and should matter to you, who do you think will get stuck paying for those losses, the tax payers only in that school district? Absolutely not, the entire state will feel that burden. Time to start looking at the big picture, this is the state of New York not the State of New York City. The positive results of a politician’s work in one part of the state somehow in someway effects the entire state, is about the big picture.

T-Bird76
2006-11-07, 01:27 PM
Well I guess Tommy thinks my citizenship should be stripped of since I am not voting because I am not registered as far as I know.

Alex

Alex that is very disappointing to hear, I think you need to make a point of registering yourself to vote. It is such an important part of living in a free society and a privilege. Every American needs to vote and voice their choice in leaders.

Alex T
2006-11-07, 01:40 PM
I understand and anyone can bash me if they want but part of the freedom of choosing to vote is also choosing NOT to vote as well.

There was never another election between now and the last President where I live that required me to vote. I had thought I registered when I signed up for the draft option. So I didn't do anything about it and then someone brought it up that I wasn't registered. I said oh oops ok and just wasn't registered.

I admit I don't follow politics well enough at all to even know and understand who I am voting for, and I would like to know these people before I make a vote.

I will definetly vote on the next election once I am signed up.

Alex

Matt Molnar
2006-11-07, 02:13 PM
Wow, I'm way late on this. Too bad I had so much work to do this morning.

I'd like to respond to a lot of points but I don't have time so I'll be brief...

-- I do not like ANY of the candidates who are running for anything.

-- That said, I am going to vote anyway, because people have died so that I may vote, as crappy as the people my votes are going for happen to be.

-- The most likable out of any of these losers was Alan Hevesi, until the "Driving Mrs. Hevesi" scandal surfaced. Stuff like financial impropriety is sort of important when you're running a $140 BILLION pension fund.

-- I liked Jeannine Pirro until it became clear her personal life makes Bill and Hillary look like Ward and June Cleaver. I generally despise the Cuomos, but Andrew went to my high school so he'll get my vote.

-- I don't even remember who's running against Spitzer because it was concluded at least two years ago that he was going to win. I do know that his senseless attack on radio "payola" in the name of getting his name in the headlines indirectly destroyed a deal I was working on for my startup business. Also, his safari for Wall Street "criminals," which earned him savior status on 60 Minutes, cost a friend of mine thousands of dollars in legal fees to defend himself against stuff he knew nothing about. In the end, all the fines Spitzer squeezed out of these firms went to the state, and not a dime went back to the "victim" investors who Spitzer supposedly cared so much about.

-- That chick who appears at the end of the NYCA Public Access video on YouTube is running for my State Senate district. She's a lot hotter than Frank Padavan, so I'll vote for her. There's zero chance that she'll win.

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-07, 02:26 PM
Padavan wears his old WW2 uniform at the College Point parades, so he gets mine.

Pirro plays poker with a handful of victim cards, and I'm sick of it.

Cuomo went to my friend MAtt's high school, so he gets my vote. ;) haha

T-Bird76
2006-11-07, 03:49 PM
Cuomo!! OMG I'd rather vote for a diseased monkey! Have you heard this man speak? He's a fool!

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-07, 04:20 PM
CORRECTION: I'm not voting for Cuomo because he went to my friend's high school. I'm voting for him because of the fun reaction I get from Tommy.

As for Hillary, Tommy, Upstate has little to do with New York City. You are talking about people who having COMPLETELY different jobs, incomes, values and different lifestyles. There's a huge difference in the interest in what a subway-commuting graphic designer that works in a skyscraper and that of someone who owns a tackle shop in Saranac. Different views and different national goals among residents in the various areas of the state are the result.

One a national level, Hillary might represent those needs of the upstaters amazingly. But that doesn't mean she represents me and what I would want my Senator to do.

If her marriage is a farce then it's a shame that you'd support someone of such weak moral fiber, who cares more about her image than family values. Though presented with an opportunity, that doesn't mean you take it if it sacrifices her self-worth and perseverance as a woman.

Matt Molnar
2006-11-07, 04:34 PM
Cuomo!! OMG I'd rather vote for a diseased monkey! Have you heard this man speak? He's a fool!
You're in luck, because given Al Pirro's impressive resume of sex partners, Cuomo's opponent likely has some sort of monkey disease.

T-Bird76
2006-11-07, 04:46 PM
CORRECTION: I'm not voting for Cuomo because he went to my friend's high school. I'm voting for him because of the fun reaction I get from Tommy.

As for Hillary, Tommy, Upstate has little to do with New York City. You are talking about people who having COMPLETELY different jobs, incomes, values and different lifestyles. There's a huge difference in the interest in what a subway-commuting graphic designer that works in a skyscraper and that of someone who owns a tackle shop in Saranac. Different views and different national goals among residents in the various areas of the state are the result.

One a national level, Hillary might represent those needs of the upstaters amazingly. But that doesn't mean she represents me and what I would want my Senator to do.

If her marriage is a farce then it's a shame that you'd support someone of such weak moral fiber, who cares more about her image than family values. Though presented with an opportunity, that doesn't mean you take it if it sacrifices her self-worth and perseverance as a woman.

Phil why do you think someone living upstate has different views and different goals then someone living downstate? I think this is a fallacy as well spread based on the belief NYC is somehow higher then all. Upstate New York has issues with taxes, as does down state, upstate has issues with education, as does down state, and upstate has crime issues, as does down state. Local goals and concerns are going to be dramatically different but the overall concerns I just mentioned are certainly shared by Billy Bob in Buffalo and Bob Brooklyn.

Did you support President Bush in the last election? He used drugs, abused liquor, and certainly didn't live the "Good Christian" lifestyle our leaders preach. Why Bill and Hillary got married isn't our business and nor should it be our business. The same people who ripped Bill apart for getting a hummer in the oval office were recently convicted for high crimes while in office. Yes I don't approve of what he did but he didn't commit any crimes that impacted his leadership ability (well until he lied). So it’s rather weak to say its ashame to support someone of such weak morale fiber when our own President isn't the most upstanding member of society. Hey we all have our baggage, there will never be the perfect candidate to vote for. I simply support someone who respects the people she serves.

Oh btw wasn't this argument originally based on her carpetbagger?? You seemed to stray off of that which means I win, LOLOLOL

T-Bird76
2006-11-07, 04:50 PM
You're in luck, because given Al Pirro's impressive resume of sex partners, Cuomo's opponent likely has some sort of monkey disease.

Ok I don't understand how someone’s personal life has anything to do with their ability to make sound policy decisions? Let her bang the entire line up of the Jets for all I care, it’s her personal life! She has no obligation to you or me how she lives her life. Matt you’re getting caught up in the media firestorm! I'm voting for the diseased monkey!

Matt Molnar
2006-11-07, 05:19 PM
[quote="T-Bird76":a5416]Cuomo!! OMG I'd rather vote for a diseased monkey! Have you heard this man speak? He's a fool!

Ok I don't understand how someone’s personal life has anything to do with their ability to make sound policy decisions? Let her bang the entire line up of the Jets for all I care, it’s her personal life! She has no obligation to you or me how she lives her life. Matt you’re getting caught up in the media firestorm! I'm voting for the diseased monkey![/quote:a5416]

My post was really just meant to poke fun at her husband, but I'll bite.

I really like Jeannine Pirro. She's been very successful in her legal career, she's attractive, and she's smart. But when it comes to her personal life she's like every other insecure two-bit-***** in the world, remaining in a very obviously loveless marriage simply because her husband is wealthy. Her husband is a convicted tax felon who makes no effort to act civilized despite the obvious negative impacts on his wife's political career. His actions make it seem that he almost enjoys seeing her suffer, with his repeated traffic violations, essentially admitting to the press that he cheats on her, and most recently, opening a can of worms suggesting that she's has been cheating on him with Bernard Kerik. It's almost as if he's on Cuomo's payroll. If she's willing to stay living with this lowlife just because he provides her with a comfortable lifestyle, what other compromises might she make when given the most powerful legal office in the state, with the potential for all sorts of new conflicts of interest?

You argue that her personal life is her personal life, and that it has nothing to do with her professional abilities. For the sake of argument we can say that's true for a moment. But then you can look at the fact that she's being investigated by the FBI for plotting to wiretap her husband's boat to catch him cheating. This is clearly an illegal activity. She claims it is not. I would prefer our attorney general be familiar with and obey federal wiretap laws. There was also the somewhat credible allegation that she was pushing her Westchester ADA's to offer more lenient deals to defendants if they patronized Al Pirro's personal attorney.

I'm pretty sure Cuomo is no better, he had some awfully nasty stuff going on when Clinton appointed him to direct HUD that the media conveniently forgets about. There was that press conference that his dad held back when he was governor where he denied the existence of "La Cosa Nostra." I guess we shouldn't expect to see AG Cuomo initiating many mob investigations.

Maybe I'll just skip that part of the ballot now that I think about it.

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-07, 05:29 PM
Phil why do you think someone living upstate has different views and different goals then someone living downstate? I think this is a fallacy as well spread based on the belief NYC is somehow higher then all. Upstate New York has issues with taxes, as does down state, upstate has issues with education, as does down state, and upstate has crime issues, as does down state. Local goals and concerns are going to be dramatically different but the overall concerns I just mentioned are certainly shared by Billy Bob in Buffalo and Bob Brooklyn.

I know when I'm exercising my New York ego, and this isn't one of them.

I'm surprised you'd think that we wouldn't have differnet thoughts and needs. The same way a perosn in San Francisco, Minnesota, Texas, Wyoming, Los Angeles and Miami all have different feelings, needs and views. One guy is looking out for his farm, one guy is looking out for his apartment building, the other concerned about roaming cattle while the other is worried about hurricane funding.

The lifestyles between here and way upstate ARE very different. I'm shocked you don't see that.

Did you support President Bush in the last election? He used drugs, abused liquor, and certainly didn't live the "Good Christian" lifestyle our leaders preach.

I'm not looking for Christian lifestyle. I'm looking for family values. If George cheated on his wife or was a gold digger, he'd lose my vote jsut as fast.....unless he was a big advocate for relaxing gun ownership laws.

Why Bill and Hillary got married isn't our business and nor should it be our business.

They are our Kings and Queens in the US. Their lifestyle represents us. Though in other political offices I'd disagree, but when you're involved in Presedential office, you have an obligation to portray yourself in a way that best represents your country to your people and the rest of the world.

We are not taken seriously because of two things: Our foreign policy and because MTV invaded the White House during the Clinton Administration.

MAJOR politicians' private lives ARE our business. Not so much for people like Pirro, but she made it our business with the abuses involving her clandestine investigations of her husband's cheating.

The same people who ripped Bill apart for getting a hummer in the oval office were recently convicted for high crimes while in office.

Let those who contradicted themselves in such a way face the same consequences they demanded of Clinton. I'm not going to stick up for them.

Yes I don't approve of what he did but he didn't commit any crimes that impacted his leadership ability (well until he lied).

Leadership includes setting the example for your country socially as well as politically.

While it might not have affected his ability to make Presidential decisions, it most certainly affected his leadership.

I simply support someone who respects the people she serves.

Hillary promised to march in the Memorial Day parade this past year. Bloomberg, Padavan, Crowley, Schumer and almost every other local politician made it. We even had ****in Curtis Sliwa. Hillary bailed. She doesn't have much respect below the Westchester/Bronx line.

[quote="T-Bird76":4e39a]Oh btw wasn't this argument originally based on her carpetbagger?? You seemed to stray off of that which means I win, LOLOLOL[/quote:4e39a]

The carpetbagging involved her ANTI-feminist work that she and the feminists don't see that she's doing. The carpetbagging also was not the majority of the reason that she wasn't receiving my vote.

She's also flip-flopped on the war a good 45,902 times. She should divorce Bill and marry Kerry or Vollaro (Sorry, Nick, couldn't resist).

T-Bird76
2006-11-07, 06:10 PM
[quote="T-Bird76":bf708]Cuomo!! OMG I'd rather vote for a diseased monkey! Have you heard this man speak? He's a fool!

Ok I don't understand how someone’s personal life has anything to do with their ability to make sound policy decisions? Let her bang the entire line up of the Jets for all I care, it’s her personal life! She has no obligation to you or me how she lives her life. Matt you’re getting caught up in the media firestorm! I'm voting for the diseased monkey!

My post was really just meant to poke fun at her husband, but I'll bite.

I really like Jeannine Pirro. She's been very successful in her legal career, she's attractive, and she's smart. But when it comes to her personal life she's like every other insecure two-bit-***** in the world, remaining in a very obviously loveless marriage simply because her husband is wealthy. Her husband is a convicted tax felon who makes no effort to act civilized despite the obvious negative impacts on his wife's political career. His actions make it seem that he almost enjoys seeing her suffer, with his repeated traffic violations, essentially admitting to the press that he cheats on her, and most recently, opening a can of worms suggesting that she's has been cheating on him with Bernard Kerik. It's almost as if he's on Cuomo's payroll. If she's willing to stay living with this lowlife just because he provides her with a comfortable lifestyle, what other compromises might she make when given the most powerful legal office in the state, with the potential for all sorts of new conflicts of interest?

You argue that her personal life is her personal life, and that it has nothing to do with her professional abilities. For the sake of argument we can say that's true for a moment. But then you can look at the fact that she's being investigated by the FBI for plotting to wiretap her husband's boat to catch him cheating. This is clearly an illegal activity. She claims it is not. I would prefer our attorney general be familiar with and obey federal wiretap laws. There was also the somewhat credible allegation that she was pushing her Westchester ADA's to offer more lenient deals to defendants if they patronized Al Pirro's personal attorney.

I'm pretty sure Cuomo is no better, he had some awfully nasty stuff going on when Clinton appointed him to direct HUD that the media conveniently forgets about. There was that press conference that his dad held back when he was governor where he denied the existence of "La Cosa Nostra." I guess we shouldn't expect to see AG Cuomo initiating many mob investigations.

Maybe I'll just skip that part of the ballot now that I think about it.[/quote:bf708]

Pirro isn't clean by any means but really I could careless how many people she's slept with. I'll nominate Nick V as AG! LOL

T-Bird76
2006-11-07, 07:40 PM
Ok I've caste my vote and participated in this funny thing we call democracy. You might think I'm strange but it really means allot to me to vote, its things like that and even jury duty that remind me of the freedoms we have here and why it is so important to participate in our system.

Even this debate is an example of the freedom we enjoy but many times take for granted. Phil and I can say what we feel about our elected officials and not think twice about it. Really when you think about it this is an amazing week. We take part in choosing our leaders and we also celebrate the men who fought to allow us to keep that right.

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-07, 10:12 PM
I voted. I left a couple sections blank, I made a notch or two in different columns, and I pulled a big red lever back to the left side and participated in something that my forefathers fought and died for.

Regardless of how miniscule a role you think each vote might make, when only 35% of the public votes, every extra contribution does help.

I will say that I was saddened by the people that worked at the booths.

I walked inand said to the lady "Do you smell that? Smells like democracy." She replied in all seriousness witha concerned look on her face "I've been here all day and I don't smell anything."

Midnight Mike
2006-11-07, 10:40 PM
Phil

Well, I just returned from voting in California, & yes, I voted for Arnold!

People working there were quite nice, though one looked like a prison inmate.

I was chatting it up with of the other gals & making them laugh, one girl said that I was cute & gave me two stickers, (that is what I get for putting my wallet in my front pocket!)

But Phil, at the end of election day, those people are tired, so, they could have been just cranky.... :shock:

moose135
2006-11-07, 11:00 PM
Well, I just returned from voting in California, & yes, I voted for Arnold!

Wow, talk about a carpetbagger :D

I voted this morning, before work. I vote nearly every election I can...federal, state, local, school budget, dog catcher :wink:

I'm probably in the minority here, I typically vote primarily for Democratic party candidates, they tend to be closer to my point of view. But no matter who you vote for, it's important that you do vote. If you don't vote, I don't want to hear any whining about the way things are being run!

Tom_Turner
2006-11-07, 11:07 PM
Every American needs to vote and voice their choice in leaders.

Tommy, that is the worst thing that could happen at this point.

Why on earth should uninformed people cast votes? How will that help this country?

T-Bird76
2006-11-07, 11:16 PM
[quote="T-Bird76":1961c]

Why on earth should uninformed people cast votes? How will that help this country?[/quote:1961c]

Tom American's aren't as stupid as we think.....

Tom_Turner
2006-11-08, 12:08 AM
My main beef with the system is with the presidential elections. THAT's when my vote truly doesn't count. New York will ALWAYS vote for the democrat for the presidential election, so my vote is thrown away.

Didn't Ronald Reagan win New York State?

The electoral college does not work.

On the contrary, it works exactly as it was intended to work. There's a reason we have 2 Senators from each state but a different number of House Reps based upon population.

My vote for Bush had no impact on his re-election in 2004.

Yes, it is the system, and a neccesary trade-off in view of the greater good ....

Being a conservative in Brooklyn is frustrating because you have no political voice.

Well, you are outvoted I suppose. What -- .. Not happy with Marty Markowitz and Charles Barron? LOL.... cheer up..if the lower east side elected Antonio Pagan after all those years, (yeah, he's long gone now I think..) anything is possible..

Tom

Tom_Turner
2006-11-08, 12:17 AM
[quote="Tom_Turner":28f13][quote="T-Bird76":28f13]

Why on earth should uninformed people cast votes? How will that help this country?[/quote:28f13]

Tom American's aren't as stupid as we think.....[/quote:28f13]

I am not calling my fellow Americans stupid, but how will they vote in their best interests - or god forbid, the commonweal - (now theres a word we don't see everyday), if they're ill-informed.

I could type all night [don't worry, I won't] about "rocking the vote" and "Making a Difference" but they're just slogans.

Tom

yaas
2006-11-08, 02:32 AM
I knew you'd pull out the vote aqui joke again...

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-08, 09:04 AM

I said it on the radio earlier in the morning as well actually. lol

RDU-JFK
2006-11-08, 09:40 AM
My main beef with the system is with the presidential elections. THAT's when my vote truly doesn't count. New York will ALWAYS vote for the democrat for the presidential election, so my vote is thrown away.

The electoral college does not work.

On the contrary, it works exactly as it was intended to work. There's a reason we have 2 Senators from each state but a different number of House Reps based upon population.

My vote for Bush had no impact on his re-election in 2004.

Yes, it is the system, and a neccesary trade-off in view of the greater good ....

Being a conservative in Brooklyn is frustrating because you have no political voice.

Well, you are outvoted I suppose. What -- .. Not happy with Marty Markowitz and Charles Barron? LOL.... cheer up..if the lower east side elected Antonio Pagan after all those years, (yeah, he's long gone now I think..) anything is possible..

Tom

hahaha the only thing Markowitz does is speak at Junior High School graduations and greet people on the highway signs as they drive into brooklyn.

yaas
2006-11-08, 02:39 PM

I said it on the radio earlier in the morning as well actually. lol

*shakes head in disapproval*

lol

USAF Pilot 07
2006-11-08, 04:14 PM
It's great reading all this political debate, because it truly shows how much of a democracy we are and how much many of us care about this country. We can argue about who of two or more completely different people would make a better leader and better serve us, but at the end of the day, regardless of who wins, we come together as Americans.

It's sad that only 35% (a number mentioned earlier in the thread) of Americans exercise their right to vote. Just think of how different thing may be if 100% of people voted!

In any case, I voted about 3 weeks ago via Absentee Ballot.

Here's my question to you all. If we're trying to increase voting participation, why make people go to polls and vote? Why not just send them a ballot in the mail, or have them vote online. I guarantee you we'd see a huge jump in the number of voters, because all they'd have to do is open up a letter, mark their choices, seal the letter and drop it back in the mail, instead of having to go to a polling place and wait on line to vote...

I do understand that fraud and technology limitations currently are the biggest factors in why we don't do this, but we're getting to a point where almost anyone's identity can be verified online. So is there anything stopping us, from maybe 5, 10, 15 years down the road, going over to an online voting system? Do you think something like this would be accepted by the American people, and do you think they'd have trust in it? In an ideal world, it would be the perfect solution to increase voting numbers. But in the realistic world, would it work? Would certain political parties allow this to happen, or favor it?
Just some of my thoughts...

RDU-JFK
2006-11-08, 04:23 PM
Online voting just presents way too much of a possibility for fraud. 15 year-old kids who can't even vote would know about online voting than half the people designing the software. Hackers around the US and the world would see it as a challenge to hack and rig elections, and they would most likely succeed. Instead of giving just the polling volunteers access, you're giving the world access. Anything is possible.

I saw one state gave an incentive by giving away $1Million dollars to a lucky voter. This might work in more states.
Anotherpossibility for a place like NYC, is to have anyone from any part of the state to be able to vote at any polling place. So instead of going to PS 193 in Brooklyn, I could vote at lunchtime in lower manhattan, using a closed-circuit computer, of course.

NIKV69
2006-11-10, 09:37 AM

Not only that but the GOP proved you don't have to carry CA or NY to win.

Midnight Mike
2006-11-10, 09:57 AM
Here's my question to you all. If we're trying to increase voting participation, why make people go to polls and vote? Why not just send them a ballot in the mail, or have them vote online. I guarantee you we'd see a huge jump in the number of voters, because all they'd have to do is open up a letter, mark their choices, seal the letter and drop it back in the mail, instead of having to go to a polling place and wait on line to vote...

I do understand that fraud and technology limitations currently are the biggest factors in why we don't do this, but we're getting to a point where almost anyone's identity can be verified online. So is there anything stopping us, from maybe 5, 10, 15 years down the road, going over to an online voting system? Do you think something like this would be accepted by the American people, and do you think they'd have trust in it? In an ideal world, it would be the perfect solution to increase voting numbers. But in the realistic world, would it work? Would certain political parties allow this to happen, or favor it?
Just some of my thoughts...

As you said, "Fraud" which exist even today, but, if you start mailing out voter ballots, the increase in voter fraud would simply increase...

If people are lazy to vote, they are lazy to vote.....

Midnight Mike
2006-11-10, 09:59 AM

Not only that but the GOP proved you don't have to carry CA or NY to win.

Not only that, but, that is why the Electoral College exist today, if we went with the Popular vote, all you would have to do, is win California, throw in New York, & you are halfway there (a little exaggeration).

With the Electoral College, you are forcing the Presidential Canidates to pay attention to each of the 50 States.