PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Landing at LGA

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-03, 05:28 PM
I just heard there was an emergency landing of some sort at LGA on rwy 31.

I don't have any more info as of yet. Could be nothing, might be something.

T-Bird76
2006-11-03, 05:43 PM
Could be nothing, might be something.

What no inbetween?

nwafan20
2006-11-03, 06:04 PM
What would be the approximate time of the emergency? You could look up ATC archive.

Mellyrose
2006-11-03, 06:45 PM
UPDATE: Air Canada E175 landed on rwy 31 with it's nosegear twisted....landed without further incident. Pilot kept the nose up for a decent amount of time. No injuries reported and passengers were deplaned on the runway....plane was taxied to the gate.

Futterman
2006-11-03, 10:19 PM
UPDATE: Air Canada E175 landed on rwy 31 with it's nosegear twisted....landed without further incident. Pilot kept the nose up for a decent amount of time. No injuries reported and passengers were deplaned on the runway....plane was taxied to the gate.

CAUTION: REPLY FROM LONG-TIME LURKER AHEAD

I must say, with a "twisted" (whatever that means) nosegear, I'm surprised they still landed at LGA. I know we don't have all the information, but I feel JFK would have been a wiser choice since 7,000 feet is not a lot of runway for an emergency like this (among other reasons).

If it were, then one could ask why JetBlue 292 didn't just return to LGB.

Brian

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-03, 10:32 PM
C-FEKJ was the registration.

hiss srq
2006-11-04, 12:43 AM
I just missed that I guess than. I was exhausted and decided to head home I was spent from the week in CLT

NIKV69
2006-11-04, 01:45 AM
If it were, then one could ask why JetBlue 292 didn't just return to LGB.

Canyon Blue departed BUR. It flew over LGB so the tower could survey the nose gear. Logic suggests they chose LAX for the longest possible runway to keep all options open. Not to mention they had to fly for a while to burn fuel so LAX just made the most sense.

As for the EMB at LGA. Until we get all the info we can only assume the Captain felt that the runway at LGA was sufficient. Taking into account the EMB is much smaller than an A320 for instance and would have stopped much easier once on the ground. Hope something is in the news soon. Kind of curious.

cancidas
2006-11-04, 01:48 AM
i saw the whole thing!! i can finally say that, no pride in it though. i usually would have been the one meeting authorities to bring my airplanes back in when i was a supervisor but i digress...

i first noticed the trucks rolling out to 31 after our first shuttle arrival landed with the second on final, but knew it wasn't that because i hadn't heard anything about it on the radio or the person working shuttle ops. it was an AC E175, reg was C-FEKJ. the a/c touched down on the 1000' marker and kept the nose up in the air for at least another 1500'. once the nose was on the ground the tires spewed white smoke from being dragged sideways for about 700'- 900' until it finally stopped. the crew did an amazing job of handling the airplane, i noticed when they started moving it that the nose was on the centerline the entire time. the pax were deplaned on the runway and bussed to the terminal, the a/c towed to the gate a few minutes later without further incident. i didn't notice it go out later in the day, and just now realized that i didn't even get the flt number even though i was listening to GRND the entire time. i had enough of a mess with my operation to pay attention to that radio too.

and you know what the worst part of all this is, i once again left my camera at home after wanting to take it to work. this is the second time this week. that it! sunday is mine for the raping...

NIKV69
2006-11-04, 02:11 AM
and you know what the worst part of all this is, i once again left my camera at home after wanting to take it to work

Yikes! That would have been sweet Matt, you could have a potential top of the day with that one. Take your camera and tie the flipping thing to your neck and never take it off! Even in the shower!

DHG750R
2006-11-06, 11:04 PM
regarding the JB incident...

Here the answer lies in this phone patch audio , for those who havent heard this , its a great illustration of a Capt keeping a level head and making a excellent call.

http://media21a.libsyn.com/podcasts/joe ... /fwm85.mp3 (http://media21a.libsyn.com/podcasts/joepodcaster/fwm85.mp3)