PDA

View Full Version : So much for free speech

mirrodie
2006-11-03, 10:21 AM
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/World/2006/11/03/2219517-sun.html

T-Bird76
2006-11-03, 10:29 AM
I don't think this has anything to do with free speech, rather its inappropriate behavior while on the job. I'm sure gestures that imply a curse aren't allowed at the bus company or any other company that I can think. The results might have been the same if she was giving the finger to the Mister Softy driver to.

mirrodie
2006-11-03, 10:34 AM
well I think they said that he acted inappropriately in front of the kids..

I argue that those kids didnt have their eyes on mr. driver but on the Prez, so that nullifies my thought.

RDU-JFK
2006-11-03, 10:50 AM
That's tasteless to do that to the President of the United States, regardless what you think of him. He's our leader for Pete's sake. If someone did it to Clinton and he got fired you wouldn't hear a peep from the media or anything.

Adding to the fact, this bus driver did it with children present. It's irrelevant if the kids weren't looking. What if there were a teacher in a classroom where the kids were taking a test with their heads down and the teacher made a gesture to a teacher assistant in the back room or something. It's inappropriate, and the teacher would be disciplined. Even if it didn't involve the president the driver's actions were unprofessional and he/she should be dismissed.

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-03, 11:36 AM
People are expected to act appropriately when they are on ANY job, no matter WHO is present or looking.

If I was by myself in a break room, but a boos (TYPO: "Boss") overheard my mumble a curse to myself, I can get in trouble for that, and rightfully so.

mirrodie
2006-11-03, 12:16 PM
what's a boos? Is that like a huge ogre that trolls the bathroom at your office?

JennyPie
2006-11-03, 12:24 PM
you get what you give :P

nwafan20
2006-11-03, 04:34 PM
It doesn't really have anything to do with free speech, that is a really inappropriate gesture on a middle school bus. The bus driver deserved what he/she got.

G-BOAD
2006-11-05, 12:09 AM
i think its not the gesture itself, but the fact he did it at his job, while driving, and with children present. that is why he got fired. if he was off work on a street corner showing the president the finger would he get fired. questioned by secret service and sent to Guantanamo, possibly yes, but fired, i don't think so.

nwafan20
2006-11-05, 12:24 AM
questioned by secret service and sent to Guantanamo, possibly yes, but fired, i don't think so.

HAHA!

I actually think it was a she:

A school bus driver fired after SHE reportedly made an obscene gesture at U.S. President George W. Bush has filed a union grievance in an attempt to get her job back.