PDA

View Full Version : Plane Crash Halloween Display Alarms Cops

Matt Molnar
2006-10-20, 02:16 PM
For Halloween, an L.A. aircraft mechanic in training has strategically placed a bunch of large Gulfstream chunks in his yard to make it look like a plane crash scene. It looks real enough for the cops to think something had happened.

Story, with photos and video: http://www.kfmb.com/stories/story.67179.html
Reuters photo: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... 877712.jpg (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/061020/ids_photos_ts/r2685877712.jpg)

Mellyrose
2006-10-20, 02:19 PM
I don't agree with this. Maybe in a museum where people voluntarily go to see it, but those people didn't ask for that on their street. It's nothing to make and exhibit of. Tasteless.

NIKV69
2006-10-20, 02:23 PM
Leave it to someone in LA. Totally tasteless and stupid.

Matt Molnar
2006-10-20, 02:24 PM
An aircraft mechanic making light of plane crashes deserves some kind of *********gery award.

hiss srq
2006-10-20, 02:33 PM
What I want to know is how the heck he got the vertical stab to his house and lifted like so against the side of the house.

mirrodie
2006-10-20, 02:35 PM
But we can make light of death and gore under the heading of Halloween?

Bodies, mummies, knives? etc?

C'mon, all he is doing is putting a contemporary spin on the antics of Halloween, isn't he?

Some years ago, a family in Long island inspired the same negative feedback after they decorated their house to look like DAHMER's DINER and I am sure you could imagine what they looked like. The house faced the local high school.

Did it get press? Yes, expecially since it was only a year or 2 after Jeffery Dahmer was caught. In poor taste? Probably.

NIKV69
2006-10-20, 03:26 PM
C'mon, all he is doing is putting a contemporary spin on the antics of Halloween,

By placing parts of a plane on his lawn to make it look like a plane crash?

I don't see it

mirrodie
2006-10-20, 03:31 PM
Halloween....gore, scary thoughts, fear.

plane accident....gore, scary thoughts, fear.

I don't expect you to see it.

Mellyrose
2006-10-20, 03:39 PM
I don't expect you to see it.

The eye doctor would know best.

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-20, 03:51 PM
Honestly, I think it's ingenious. Granted, it's extreme, but I've seen Halloween displays that are much more bloody and grisly. This guy was just able to do something creative.

I can understnad if people find it to be offensive, I'm not saying it isn't, but it doesn't bother me and I can appreciate it as a unique HAlloween scene.

I have seenblood-soaked lawns, trails leading to a pile of bodies.....mostly fake ones....with a residents laying there moving and reaching out to trick-or-treaters asking for help. It's insane, but I think that's a part of Halloween.

If we were just off the cusp of a huge plane crash or something, I'd say maybe the timing is bad, but we're not (The Corey Lidle thing does not qualify to me).

Mellyrose
2006-10-20, 03:55 PM
Phil, I agree that it's very creative....but just out of place and disrespectful being on a public street. Like I said, if it were an exhibit as part of a haunted house and not in such open view, I'd see it as a much more acceptable display.

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-20, 04:00 PM
Disrespectful to who?

Halloween is actually the second most popular holiday, and the fastest growing (I don't know how it beat Turkey Day, but oh well). Hwo do people celebrate it? They make scary scenes on their front lawn. Deocrations get bigger and more popular every year the same way people hang Xmas lights.

How is this more inappropriate than a murder scene, which seems to be the norm?

hiss srq
2006-10-20, 04:01 PM
but it is alright to have mummies etc etc out there?

hiss srq
2006-10-20, 04:10 PM
I think it is kind of funny. Just because plane crashes kill people it is tasteless? The grim reaper kills people, so does Jason, Lucifer is pretty freaky but the vertical stab of a G2 is disrespectful? Not seeing it sorry.

NIKV69
2006-10-20, 04:14 PM
Halloween....gore, scary thoughts, fear.

Yes, Haunted Houses, Ghouls and Ghosts and Vampires and such, MAKE BELIEVE!

plane accident....gore, scary thoughts, fear.

Yes real life, innocent people dying, grief!

but it is alright to have mummies etc etc out there

I am going out on a limb here but you know mummies are not real right?

hiss srq
2006-10-20, 04:23 PM
I am aware Nick but it is all the same nature really. It is all death and horror and if it cant be related to a specific crash or anything it should not be so major a deal is all I am saying really. I just do not see how it is tasteless now dressing up like a arab sheik and going to work as a pilot now thats tasteless. G2 parts strewn around not so much at least to me.

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-20, 04:33 PM
Nick, so you feel the same for the blood scenes that are actually commonplace foir Halloween displays?

Mummies and witches are in fact real, just not in the imagery that's become the stereotype.

Mellyrose
2006-10-20, 04:34 PM
I think it's a bit more horrific, to people of ALL ages to see that. It could even be traumatic to some. Seeing even the most realistic "murder" reenactment scene on someone's front lawn is nothing more than theatrics, and it's expected in October....plane parts are not.

hiss srq
2006-10-20, 04:42 PM
Theatrics so is this wreck the guy has imagination and everyone is going ballistic. That is exactly why he did it to be the talk of the town and hes more than the talk of the town. More like the nation. I commend him.

K9DEP
2006-10-20, 06:36 PM
You are all hypocrites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(At least those of you who celebrate halloween and don't like this display)

Halloween is all about glorifying death and gore and stuff like that. but when this guy comes up with something original you get bent out of shape. How are you gonna feel when a little girl with a fake knife in her head with fake blood coming out of the sides of it, knocks at your door? Is that less
tasteless, should she get a
*********gy award

I think it's a bit more horrific, to people of ALL ages to see that. It could even be traumatic to some. Seeing even the most realistic "murder" reenactment scene on someone's front lawn is nothing more than theatrics, and it's expected in October....plane parts are not.

What?!?

Horrific is the point of Halloween. When people see tombstones coming out of someones lawn that could be traumatic.

mirrodie
2006-10-20, 06:45 PM
Halloween is all about glorifying death and gore and stuff like that. but when this guy comes up with something original you get bent out of shape.

exactly. Thanks Phil and K9 for seeing it as it is. All Halloween does is amplfy gore and violence.

Hey Nik, ever watch TV around the week before Halloween? What movies are on? Halloween, NIghtmare of Elm Street, Hellraiser, take your pic. THanks not Mummie,s etc, that is gore and death. ( in fact, since you throw out mummies, I doubt THE MUMMY will even be on that week.)

THe guy was creative in his thought process. Good on him.

hiss srq
2006-10-20, 08:28 PM
It is all a drivative of a night called valpourgas night which started in Germany I do not know how many centuries ago but yes it is all about gore devils death and satanic things in general really. I would say a plane crash would qualify so K9 thanks for speeaking your mind. :)

NIKV69
2006-10-20, 08:45 PM
OMG, Mario here I thought you were a level minded person. So the fact that the media plays movies that glorify murder and gore right before Halloween that is what the holiday means?

Actually no.

Do a little reading on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-20, 08:50 PM
Honestly, I was a little disappointed that the guy didn't have fake bodies and blood all over. Without that, it's not even a plane crash scene....it's just a bunch of broken plane parts around. (the police tape is the only thing that makes it not look like a landfill)

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-20, 08:51 PM
should she get a
*********gy award

Who, Mel?

hiss srq
2006-10-21, 01:29 AM
no hostilities needed guys

mirrodie
2006-10-21, 12:29 PM
OMG, Mario here I thought you were a level minded person. So the fact that the media plays movies that glorify murder and gore right before Halloween that is what the holiday means?

I'm level-headed and logical about the discussion. Is that what the holiday means? No.

Is that what it has come to represent in secular society? Yes. Likewise, Christmas has as specific meaning but our society has made it a secular holiday about gift giving. It is my opinion that it has lost its primary underlying meaning. IN that sense, what this man did is NO different.

There is no right or wrong about what he did but the arguements against what he did, that are spoken of here, don't make a whole lot of sense. And yep, Phil, he should have strewn body parts and the like all about.

ona bit of a tangent....
There is that sinking Titanic air filled- jumpy float thing for kids now. You sometimes se it at parties and carnivals.

Funny how I didn't see a thread about that. Yet how many people died during the sinking? Why is it that we can make a kids ride based on a tragedy and yet can't have a gory scene of plane parts displayed during a time when gore and death are the theme anyway?

The logic represented here just dones make much sense. Leave the guy alone.

MORS-AB-ALTO
2006-10-21, 01:26 PM
I say this gentleman is pretty clever. I'm not one for the whole death and gore theme, but if he chooses to display a graphic scene that's the property owners call. If he replicated a specific plane crash with representations of actual people and aircraft that were previouslty involved in an air disaster then I would label him as tasteless. Zombies, mummies or a parody of "Snakes On a Plane" theme would have been my route if I had accees to the parts.

cancidas
2006-10-22, 12:50 AM
i have to say that i find that totally hilarious, in a sick and twisted way fitting of my sense of humor.

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-22, 01:25 AM
I saw a video about it on CNN, and it turns out he DOES have fake bodies aroundthe wreckage!

emshighway
2006-10-22, 10:36 AM
I saw a video about it on CNN, and it turns out he DOES have fake bodies around the wreckage!

Well at least he is doing it right!!

As someone who in a former life who has been to several actual crashes it doesn't bother me. I do have a sick sense of humor though.

I don't see this as being any different than putting tombstones on your lawn or hanging a dummy from a tree.

I applaud him for his efforts.

Yes, Haunted Houses, Ghouls and Ghosts and Vampires and such, MAKE BELIEVE!

Are they really make believe?? :twisted:

T-Bird76
2006-10-22, 06:16 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with what he is doing, its very creative and reflects a real life scary event, which the last time I checked Halloween is about scaring people. Whether or not some think its in good taste or not means nothing, its his private property.

mirrodie
2006-10-22, 06:51 PM
http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=21898&in_page_id=2

I think he did a great job.

lijk604
2006-10-23, 10:13 AM
I think what makes it disturbing to his neighbors is the scale of it.

He has actual parts which are huge compared to a fake tombstone.
The fact that the tailcone takes up his whole front yard, and the tailfin is taller that the first story of his house probably has these people ticked off.
Something about the "beauty of their property".

Personally I think the display is brilliant.

Nick
2006-10-23, 10:16 AM
What a great idea. Better than those dolts with the inflatable displays on their lawns. Bravo!

SCOTYDEMCO
2006-10-23, 01:44 PM
Well I usually don't get too involved with these discussions but I will jump in a bit on this one. Without stating my opinion or getting into what halloween is really about, how it was started, is it a holiday, and all the moral issues regarding what it's about. We have to bring up the word "custom" as it is customary in America to see tombstones, ghosts, grim reapers, knifes etc. It is not customary to see a plane crash with real plane parts and bodies on your neighbors lawn. Is it any different than what we are "custom" to seeing? Does the tombstone and the bloody man decorated in your yard promote the same thing as this mans airplane crash? Yes. They both portray death, fear, scary, etc. all the things customary to halloween and what halloween is supposed to portry. People can do whatever they want to do within reason of our rights. It is a creative idea, but is it ethical and moraly sound? In todays world of terror following Sept. 11th and just recently, the plane crash in NYC, people are very hypersensitive to airplanes, airplane accidents, etc. This is an ethical and moral issue, that is dug up by media to get people up in arms. I see things everyday that would promote the same conversation or should I say debate. Did this person put this display up considering the feelings and reactions of his neighbors? As humans we can't do for others, but we should always concider other peoples feelings. Very hard to do and impossible to do all the time! We are ultimatly responsinble for our actions wether they offend someone else or not, or weather we ment to offend them or not. So the question should be, is this decoration on the lawn moral and ethical by todays standards?

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-23, 02:03 PM
In todays world of terror following Sept. 11th and just recently, the plane crash in NYC, people are very hypersensitive to airplanes, airplane accidents, etc.

This is THE problem in society today. People have this extra special fear of aviaiton, and the connect any sight of a plane to crashes or terrorism.

So the question should be, is this decoration on the lawn moral and ethical by todays standards?

That question justifies this guy's display even more. Aside from the fact that people USUALLY make Halloween displays equally as horrific and even MORE bloody, and the fact that you see much worse on television everyday, way earlier than 10pm, there's nothing immoral or unethical as per today's standards.

SCOTYDEMCO
2006-10-23, 02:10 PM
"This is THE problem in society today. People have this extra special fear of aviaiton, and the connect any sight of a plane to crashes or terrorism."

So this person is enabling societys fear of planes and aviation. And the media is spreading it to the rest of the country.

Judgement is the key word. Just like we don't wear our airplane photography is not a crime shirts when spotting and taking pictures.

SengaB
2006-10-23, 02:14 PM
Anyone get the registration of the aircraft(s) ?
Senga

Mellyrose
2006-10-23, 02:15 PM
I agree with Scotty on this...he's conveying what I was trying to before. Also, regardless of what is on TV before 10pm, a good parent can monitor what their child sees on television, etc....but when it's so grand and in your backyard, it's a different story. I still think it's disrespectful to the people who live in the area.

Tombstones and mummies and whatever else don't extend over fences and can't usually seen from even 50 ft away. This is a life size display of a plane crash, with bodies and can be seen from a distance. Can you imagine your 4 year old seeing that as you walk down the sidewalk or even drive past?

Also, regarding people's customs. It is NOT customary for all people to celebrate Halloween. Many WIDESPREAD religions disagree 100% with it, judaism being one. I'm not saying that I've never gotten dressed up and gone trick or treating, but many...many religions shun the holiday - more than people realize.

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-23, 02:19 PM
Though there might be a measurable amount of people that shun or don't celebrate Halloween, it most certainly IS customary to celebrate. If it wasn't, you wouldn't see every pharmacy, supermarket, department store, deli and more hanging decorations in early August.

Mellyrose
2006-10-23, 02:37 PM
Yes, but not every pharmacy, drug store, deli, salon, restaurant (I know they all do it) set up GRUESOME displays.

The argument here is not whether is it customary to celebrate, but whether this particular display is going too far...and I think it is.

K9DEP
2006-10-23, 03:10 PM
Saying that halloween can be too grusome is an oxymoron. I think the more "gruesome" it gets, the more people realize what a sick holiday it actually is and causes some to doubt why they participate.

Mellyrose
2006-10-23, 03:19 PM
All I am saying is that it's a public display. Be gruesome all you want behind closed doors, or in a haunted house, or in a museum where people are voluntarily going to get the **** scared out of them. It's about good judgement and taste in a neighborhood with young children and elderly people and maybe families who have lost loved ones in a plane crash.

I know that someone might argue that tombstones would evoke emotions similar to that, but that's on a much smaller scale.

mirrodie
2006-10-23, 03:38 PM
Anyone get the registration of the aircraft(s) ?
Senga

I don't know it that was serious or not, but it was the funniest thing I've seen written in a while. ROFLMAO.

ScotyDemco, hey, whst going on? Dude, you and Phil are the ones to really take the words out of my mouth. The guy's judgement was, by opinion, in poor taste but, I hate people still freaking about planes and terrorism and the association therein, as Phil alluded to.

I mean, from time to time,I wqonder what if 9-11 wasn't planes. What if it was a Sports stadium blown to bits? Would we no longer go to the Bronx or Shea stadium or MSG? Would we be afarid of sports?

What if it were the subway or the LIRR? What if the 4:04 out of Penn Station was loaded with a nuke in 9-11, a dirty bomb, and blew up while doing full speed on the main line between Woodside and Jamaica? And let's say, better yet, it happened during the US Open, when the stadium at Kew Gardens is in full swing. So the bomb goes off and now, what would we no longer have HO trains, no longer put choo choos around the tree? No more Thomas the tank engine?

That is what Phil is talking about. But I can clearly see how ScotyDemco is making a point, its a question of morals or ethics. Do my ethics agree with his? No but I applaud him for exercising his own.

T-Bird76
2006-10-23, 03:52 PM
Here's a question for you. Would we be saying the same thing if he portrayed a scene from a car accident? For some reason I don't think we would. There's allot of things in life that are done in poor taste but there are no laws regulating people's taste or moral standandings. I don't think this sends a message at all, infact it looks like nothing more then just some garabage spread out over his lawn. He should have made some ghosts and put then in pilot's uniforms. That would have been scary.

hiss srq
2006-10-23, 04:00 PM
It may be against religions but the majority of folks in this nation are hypocrits in terms of faith and maybe it might be immoral by most standards but I sure would get a huge kick out of seeing that if I was driving down the block as I am sure alot of others would. I just do not see how it is tastelss. Creative yes, tasteless..... errrrr.......... not so much to me and I have lost a few freinds in plane crashes over the last couple of years. Tasteless is my halloween costume (OBGYN) but a nose section a vertical stab and some misc. parts not soo much to me but than again thats just my $.02

Mellyrose
2006-10-23, 04:02 PM
Here's a question for you. Would we be saying the same thing if he portrayed a scene from a car accident? For some reason I don't think we would. There's allot of things in life that are done in poor taste but there are no laws regulating people's taste or moral standandings. I don't think this sends a message at all, infact it looks like nothing more then just some garabage spread out over his lawn. He should have made some ghosts and put then in pilot's uniforms. That would have been scary.

Yes, I do think that would be JUST as bad....and he did use bodies - it doesn't just look like a bunch of scrap metal.

JennyPie
2006-10-31, 03:07 PM
and you know that the next thing in the news is going to be "kid slices self on aluminum and parents are sueing"

hah. okay but really-i'd like to know how he got those parts...regardless if he is an a&p or not....usually you don't get to bring the parts home with you....and by the size of them, im sure not by a minivan..

stupid people do stupid things, things that they think are funny. it may be to some but to others it's terrible. usually tragedies are what people mock at. but it was just a harmless, distasteful joke just trying to get a rise out of people and hey.....he did! :lol:

hiss srq
2006-10-31, 06:09 PM
I stand by the greatness of the idea. Today in class one of the A-320 instructors was dressed up as a plane crash victim actually