PDA

View Full Version : Headed to the Area. Newbie

Slim1121
2006-10-15, 09:17 AM
Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. My name is Ken, currently active duty Air Force. I'll be home in NJ for the month of Nov, until I head to Japan for 3 yrs. My buddy and I want to head to the JFK area to spot and photograph. I want to use my fancy new camera for something besides shots of F-16's. Any tips for the newbie, i've been lurking here for a while reading everyone's posts. Great site and great information. Thanks in advance.

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-15, 10:06 AM
Hey Slim! Welcome aboard, glad you enjoy the site.

Our tips could be anything depending on what kind of tips you want. If you're asking where to go, there are spotting maps to show you locations that you can take pics from on this site.

Just go to the home page, and under "Tools", go to Spotting Maps, then to LGA or JFK.

If you have any questions, let us know.

Slim1121
2006-10-15, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I have seen the maps, and it's looking like i'll be headed to Costco or Inwood. Depends on the day and the weather I guess. I just want the chance to get a coulpe quality shots, and the opportunity to hang out, eat a sandwich and watch planes..

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-15, 10:19 AM
Boston Market, about a block south of Costco, is a great place to grabs ome Mac & Cheese and sit in the lot and eat while taking pics, too.

Burger King is also a good spot, but it's only good once the sun has gone down some, since you're more underneath the aircraft.

Slim1121
2006-10-15, 11:28 AM
Mac and Cheese sounds good right now. Air Force chow hall, and local Korean food is getting real old. Sounds like a plan. I'm really looking forward to heading up there and getting some shots. The journey should be interesting too, as it is the first time i'll be driving into the are, as opposed to taking the train up.

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-15, 11:35 AM
Let us know specifically what days you'll be out there. Maybe some of us will be able to meet up with you.

Slim1121
2006-10-15, 11:43 AM
Most definately I will frequently be on here. Like I said i'll be home from Nov 10th until Dec 2nd, so I have plenty of time to head up there. My buddy is flying his Cessna 210 into Miller my local airport for a week or so and that's when we'll head up to JFK. I look forward to maybe meeting up with a few fellow enthusiasts.