PDA

View Full Version : 'The Deadliest Plane Crash',Nova channel ITS ON RIGHT NOW!

Midnight Mike
2006-10-14, 10:47 AM
update, its 17 mins into the program. have a look. Has some great old footage esp for Pam Am fans.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 8PM ET/PT on PBS:

On March 27, 1977, on the island of Tenerife in the Canary Islands, two fully loaded 747 jumbo jets collided on a fog-blanketed runway, claiming the lives of 583 people in what is still the deadliest crash in aviation history.

Now, almost 30 years later, near misses on the ground are the leading cause of aviation accidents, raising the question of what can be done to improve runway safety. Featuring moving interviews with the few survivors of the disaster and with top accident investigators, this program examines the fateful confluence of events that led to the Tenerife tragedy and its continuing relevance for air travel today.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/planecrash/

NcSchu
2006-10-14, 11:33 AM
Those fools used the wrong color scheme for KLM, nice job.

hiss srq
2006-10-14, 11:55 AM
I would have to say that September 11th was the tops of the tops several thousand as a result of that event.

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-14, 12:56 PM
...near misses on the ground are the leading cause of aviation accidents...

How can a near miss cause an accident?

hiss srq
2006-10-14, 01:41 PM
Pretty easy. I had to go to Birmingham Alabama one time because out staff there was not on the ball and started pushing a NW 319 back and last second a CRJ taxied behind and the push team turned her to avoid and ran the wingtip into the corner of the building. So it is possible.

Midnight Mike
2006-10-14, 02:11 PM
[quote="Midnight Mike":6ba25]...near misses on the ground are the leading cause of aviation accidents...

How can a near miss cause an accident?[/quote:6ba25]

One airplane turns to avoid another, can cause the airplane to hit another another object....

moose135
2006-10-14, 07:18 PM
I would have to say that September 11th was the tops of the tops several thousand as a result of that event.

Yes, but 9/11 wasn't an accident, Tenerife was. I still remember this one vividly. Of course there was lots of news coverage at the time. I was subscribed to Time magazine at the time, and the issue with the crash coverage arrived in the mail two days before I was leaving for a HS class trip to Italy. I was flying (on pass) on TWA, but the rest of the group was taking a Pan Am 747. Didn't bother me any, in fact I wanted to bring the magazine along to read on the plane, but my folks didn't think it was a good idea.

lijk604
2006-10-20, 09:37 PM
anyone know if there are plans to repeat this show? I missed it, and I was not home to set the DVR.

mirrodie
2006-11-29, 08:24 PM
To second that question, does anyone know when this might be aired again?

My WIFE (!) actually expressed interest in seeing it after I told her about it.

(could this be the end of ice skating??)

moose135
2006-11-29, 08:29 PM
To second that question, does anyone know when this might be aired again?

My WIFE (!) actually expressed interest in seeing it after I told her about it.

(could this be the end of ice skating??)

Must be the hormones, Mario :wink: