PDA

View Full Version : Spotter Identification

heeshung
2006-10-12, 03:40 PM
I am fairly new at this site and I appreciate having my forum account activated so rapidly (based on my experiences with other forums). I am a very occasional spotter and usually do it only when I have to pick up someone from the airport or dropping someone off. I spot more than take photos, but I do bring my camera.

I have been in Newark Liberty International Airport's economy long-term parking lot 7 a couple of times. The first time I was there, it was in the winter, so it was cold, and sleet was coming down. At that time, it was about 6PM, so the sun had gone down, and parking lot 7 was closed. I was just outside the parking "toll booths". A police car came down, I explained what I was doing, and the police officer responded, "No problem".

That was a very positive experience for me, and I further developed my hobby of plane spotting. The latest time I was there, though, was not as positive. I was on my way to the fence of parking lot 7, where I usually go. On the way, though, I was stopped by a lady in an airport minivan. She was definetely not police, and she looked like parking personnel. She explained that I needed, "special permission". I quickly complied and walked back to our car.

I have heard about people mentioning ID's and/or permission, and I would like more information on that. What are the requirements? Where and how do I apply for one? I hope someone can expand on this topic for me. All comments are appreciated. :)

hiss srq
2006-10-12, 03:45 PM
a few airports provide a spotter permit restricted to very few locations but it is Junk perhaps she means that you should contact proper airport authority before doing things like that. As long as you were not in a restricted area you were okay whether she mentioned that or not. Either that or you were in arestricted area and required an airport provided badge to be there. Few airports have those things and it is not a crime to spot. Next time I would not worry. Ask her if there is a rule against spotting that is all.

Tom_Turner
2006-10-12, 05:05 PM
The parking attendants in mini vans at the lots at EWR seem to have one job and one job only last I knew. And that is to find spotters in the lot and tell them they need a "letter" from the Port Authority to spot at the aiport. They will often tail gate you to make sure you leave.

If you want to wait out the Port Authority police it is a crap shoot if they let you stay or not.

Would seem like a pernicous lie that has made the rounds at EWR spreading to many diverse workers there to make you produce this "letter" of permisssion.. however, I seem to remember a local spotter, (I don't think he is on this board) Wasim, was indeed in receipt just that sort of "letter" at one point post 911.

Good luck with all efforts to spot at EWR.... seems sometimes you CAN...often you can't though.

Tom

heeshung
2006-10-12, 05:50 PM
I see. But I often hear about ID's. What's that all about?

hiss srq
2006-10-12, 06:37 PM
It might be refering to airport security ID badges in which case you must be employed by someone on the airport or a contractor doing some sort of work on the airport otherwise nothing else I can think of.

T-Bird76
2006-10-13, 11:07 AM
I am dead set against spotter ID cards. As we've talked about god knows how many times on this site spotting isn't illegal. As long as we aren't trespassing and obeying the law why do we need to be tagged as a spotter or anything else for that matter? The solution is to develop a relationship with the police and airport authorities so they know your face and they know you’re not a threat but an asset to airport security as another set of eyes.

hiss srq
2006-10-13, 11:14 AM
I completely agree with you Tom but at some airports the policy makers are such *******s its not even funny and they make things like that impossible. Perfect example is Orlando Sanford. They have threatened arrest for getting near the airport to a very respectable spotter who I am good freinds with in the past.

T-Bird76
2006-10-13, 11:23 AM
I completely agree with you Tom but at some airports the policy makers are such *******s its not even funny and they make things like that impossible. Perfect example is Orlando Sanford. They have threatened arrest for getting near the airport to a very respectable spotter who I am good freinds with in the past.

See in this case you need to fight back. I'd go to the airport manager or the supervisor of the person who made the threat. These kinds of threats need to be reported and put out in front. I'm not familiar with Sanford but if I'm on a public street or park what can I be charged with? Absolutely nothing!