PDA

View Full Version : Camera with an Identity Crisis

cancidas
2006-10-10, 07:29 PM
for those of you who don't know, i own a D70 (read D70S) and am having a little trouble. ever since it stopped working a few months ago and i sent it back to Nikon for service it has been working flawlessly, and the quality of pictures has improved significantly. now, the problem lies with the problem with the fact that Nikon has updated my cam to D70S standards, well at least the firmware. the actual body is still that of the D70. i need to get a cable release (remote) for the cam, want to try some night shooting and the longest i can leave my shutter open for on the cam is 30 seconds. do i go with the D70 acessories or do i have to pick up those for the S? are the bodies on both cameras the same that i can use either, or is the software so different that the D70 accesories won't work?

HELP!

by the way, i wrote on the body an S under the D70 icon and it has since magically disappeared. think my cam is very decisive....

T-Bird76
2006-10-10, 07:40 PM
Matt you should have wrote Canon on it, AHAHAAHAAHAHA

Dan N
2006-10-12, 10:07 AM
The only shutter release that can be used on the D70 is the MLL3 Wireless remote.

Since the chasis of the camera is still a D70, you have to go with D70 accessories only.

mikephotos
2006-10-12, 10:43 AM
AFAIK Matt most of the accessories for the D70 & D70s are interchangable. The ML-L3 remote release (wireless) is the same for both the D70 & D70s. The upgrade is only to the firmware and doesn't really affect accessories. The firmware upgrades the D70 to include D70s features/fixes:

Issues addressed with firmware version 2.0

1. Performance of the 5-area AF system has been improved (Dynamic area and Closest subject AF-area modes).

2. Changes have been made to the design of menu displays.

3. Page-size settings can now be applied from the camera with direct printing from a PictBridge-compatible printer.

4. The number of exposures remaining, displayed in the control panel and viewfinder, when shooting at an image-quality setting of NEF (RAW) or NEF+JPEG Basic has been changed (the number is calculated based on the size of compressed RAW file).
Maximum number of exposures displayed when a 256-MB CompactFlash memory card is used:

5. Version 2.00: NEF (RAW): approx. 44 exposures; NEF+JPEG Basic: approx. 39 exposures
Version 1.03 or earlier: NEF (RAW): approx. 23 exposures; NEF+JPEG Basic: approx. 21 exposures

6. The default setting for camera clock has been changed from 2004.01.01 to 2005.01.01. Now you cannot set the clock back to a date before 2004.12.31.

7. A problem that sometimes caused communication between the camera and computer to be unexpectedly terminated when using Nikon Capture Camera Control has been corrected. (Windows)

Certain things like the rear LCD screen protector of course are not interchangable. If you're looking for a 2nd/3rd battery you'd still want to get the older D70 battery (EN-EL3A). While I believe the newer EN-EL3e would work on the non-S (not 100% sure), it can't take advantage of the newer design/features so save the $10.

Michael

tipek
2006-10-12, 10:48 AM
If you take long time exposure shots, don't be surprised if next day you will have 4-5 hot pixels on your pictures.

Rafal

FlyingColors
2006-10-13, 11:46 AM
Matt;
Just use the built in shutter release timer - no need for you to buy a cable.