PDA

View Full Version : Planespotter Close Calls

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-04, 04:08 PM
I figure I'll wait to share mine after a few replies, but have you folks ever gotten nervous from what you were watching while you were spotting? Maybe a plane was nearing the end of the runway on takeoff and hadn't rotated yet, or was not lined up way too close to the threshold on landing.

Share your stories, and pics if you have them.

RDU-JFK
2006-10-04, 04:24 PM
In my office on the upper floors of One Liberty Plaza, I was in a meeting in a corner office and there was what looked like a piper cub towing a huge banner. It was dragging him down and he was struggling to maintain control. He got close to a lot of buildings along the Brooklyn skyline. It was a sight to see, especially since I'm in the aviation insurance business.

LGA777
2006-10-04, 06:29 PM
Although I was working (not spotting) I witnessed the very end (just the huge fireball) of the USAir F-28 crash at LGA as well as the DL MD88 (N914DL) accident at LGA. Both unforgettable.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0349317/L/

The close calls I have seen over the years (near-misses, go-arounds, aircraft barely making it off 13 at LGA) are far to numerous to mention but a few actually had NTSB reports issued !

Respectfully

LGA777